MFP and Run Keeper

Options
I know this has been discussed before, but when using Run Keeper, do you use the calories Run Keeper gives you, or the calories number that MFP gives you?
Thanks for the info!

Replies

• Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I know this has been discussed before, but when using Run Keeper, do you use the calories Run Keeper gives you, or the calories number that MFP gives you?
    Thanks for the info!

Neither for me :( I use a Heart Rate Monitor to get an accurate measurement...but I do enjoy both applications.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I find that they are close enough - I use MFP - it is usually a little under, but within 50 cal. I do use a HRM which connects to RunKeeper, but I still use MFP cause its easier.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I always use my HRM...
  • brandonmccloskey
    brandonmccloskey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM for all exercises. MFP, Runkeeper, are off the mark (Runkeeper under and MFP over). Fitbit is pretty close. But you'll never get the right accuracy without a HRM
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i used to use runkeeper, now i use my hrm. especially at the beginning (c25k) mfp was way more than RK. the hrm, now is about 50 cals below RK on a one hour run.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Given a reasonably flat surface, the numbers are virtually identical for me. So on a hilly run, or if I'm between speeds, I use Runkeeper instead.

The estimates have always given me the results I wanted, so they're close enough to accurate for me and I feel no need to get a HRM.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Since I'm still trying to lose weight, I use whatever calorie burned is lower....
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM for all exercises. MFP, Runkeeper, are off the mark (Runkeeper under and MFP over). Fitbit is pretty close. But you'll never get the right accuracy without a HRM

^ Wow that's interesting that Runkeeper is under for you. Runkeeper is waaay over my HRM.
    For instance, my HRM came in at 540 for a 9 mile run and Runkeeper reported 844! Big difference!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

^ Wow that's interesting that Runkeeper is under for you. Runkeeper is waaay over my HRM.
    For instance, my HRM came in at 540 for a 9 mile run and Runkeeper reported 844! Big difference!

I just realized I never updated my weight on RK, curious to see if the calorie estimate will be closer to the HRM tomorrow...
  • Frayed_Ends
    Options
    Since I'm still trying to lose weight, I use whatever calorie burned is lower....

So do I, it isn't much, but usually 10% difference at most. Either way the goal is the same, so I may as well benefit myself by taking less calories burned.