running club/group - costs?!?

Options
froeschli
froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
Alright, so I've been running solo, but when I saw a bunch of people obviously taking a running class, I thought maybe there was such a thing as a running club/group in my town.
There sure is. And it costs $80 a month, for 2 runs a week. By comparison, the two larger gyms in this area (Y, and Anytime) cost about $50 a month.
Am I the only one seeing a problem with this? A twice a week running group shouldn't cost more than a 24/7 gym membership.

Are any of you guys part of a club/group? How much do/would you pay?

I'll be looking at other places, this can't be the only one in the area....

Replies

• cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of a tri-club and the cost is $20 plus the cost of the kits.

Try looking for a running meetup (www.meetup.com) in your area? Also try different shops, I have two bike shops and one runners shops next to my house that are free to come to thier group runs/rides.

Edit: This is the yearly cost for the Tri-club.
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have never seen a running club that costs money to be a part of. Every running store I have ever been to has had some manner of group that meets up to run...check out the running stores in your area. Or just start your own...put up a flyer at your local Star$$...announce a meeting time and a distance...people will show up. "If you build it they will come" :-)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The runners club in my town is $20 a year. Group runs are several times a week but you don't have to be a member of the club to join the group runs.
  • hannanne
    hannanne Posts: 5
    Options
    I'd put an add in the local classifieds (like the litte free papers), grocery store bulletin boards, or look on Runkeeper (a very good app if you've never used it) for folks in your area, and start a club with whatever membership fees and training schedule you choose. Actually, on Runkeeper's website, you might even find a group in your area that has no dues. I'd love to find a group in my area to casually run with. In fact, maybe i should try what I just suggested LOL.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yup, I'll see if i can find another place... no way would i pay that much to circle around the neigbourhood a few times...