Moms- Help? pregnancy weight gain?

Options
I've read it all over, that someone at a normal weight should gain between 25-35 pounds during their pregnancy, most of that weight in the 2nd and 3rd trimester.
Well I'm only 7 weeks here and I'm already up 6 pounds!!! I won't be seeing a doctor for quite some time yet, so I can't get her input. What has been your experience with weight gain and pregnancy? Should I be worried/more careful?
I have been tired and that combined with a recent foot injury has brought my normal 6 days a week in the gym to maybe 2 days a week for the last 2-3 weeks.
I've also switched my calorie intake to maintenance.
Any advice? Or am I just over reacting? lol

Replies

• InjunTrouble
    Options
    Hi, Brandy!

First off, congratulations on your new 'mommy' status. :happy: I think what's happening to you right now is similar to the pre-period water-weight syndrome. Your hormones are in an uproar now and your body is just trying to adjust. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I'm the mother of 2 (21 and 15) and to be honest, the little weight gain at the beginning does level out after a few more weeks. You'll see. Whatever you do, don't deprive yourself of the right nutrition hoping to off-set weight. I only gained about 18 lbs during either of my pregnancies and wasn't trying NOT to gain...it just worked out that way. I was actually scolded by my OB that I wasn't gaining enough. I was able to get back into my old clothes within about a month, so I was pretty happy about that.

The main thing is the health of the baby. Even if you do gain more than you intend, just looking at that sweetie-pie baby everyday will show you what it was all for. :heart: Much Peace 2 U
  • sunshine638
    sunshine638 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight at first too.... I was in maternity jeans by eight weeks! It levels out though....best of luck and congratulations!
  • kimgravel
    kimgravel Posts: 32
    Options
    Congrats!!

With my first, I hardly gained any weight during the first trimester, and it crept up slowly during th 2nd and 3rd tri for a total of just under 30lbs.

With nuber 2, I gained it a lot faster, but it evened out and I ended up just over 30.

As long as you are eating sensibly (ie, NOT for two!!), and staying as active as you can with your injury, don't worry too much about the scale.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!

I actually lost a bit at the beginning of both of my pregnancies due to morning sickness. I gained 28 pounds my last pregnancy and can't remember the first, but it was around the same (my kids are 4 and 4 months).

My best advice is to eat as sensibly as possible. The "eating for two" mantra is not true. You need very few calories extra (I've read 100 more a day for the first tri, 200 for the second and 300 for the 3rd, but ask your Dr). That being said, there are days you are going to want to eat your own arm you're so hungry.
  • mountaingirl222
    Options
    I gained a ton of weight in the beginning with my first pregnancy! Like probably 15 lbs. WIth the second I didnt gain anything til I was 6 1/2 months. Every body is different as every pregnancy is different. What one experiences doesn not mean it is what you will. I wouldnt worry too much. COngrats
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I've read it all over, that someone at a normal weight should gain between 25-35 pounds during their pregnancy, most of that weight in the 2nd and 3rd trimester.
    Well I'm only 7 weeks here and I'm already up 6 pounds!!! I won't be seeing a doctor for quite some time yet, so I can't get her input. What has been your experience with weight gain and pregnancy? Should I be worried/more careful?
    I have been tired and that combined with a recent foot injury has brought my normal 6 days a week in the gym to maybe 2 days a week for the last 2-3 weeks.
    I've also switched my calorie intake to maintenance.
    Any advice? Or am I just over reacting? lol

Congrats on your baby-to-be!

I have 4 kids and gained at bt 50-66 lbs. every time. It was not a good idea, trust me. I did not consider what I was eating back then, bc I was oblivious to nutrition. I always thought it wouldn't matter, I'd lose the weight later (I did, each time), but dang I shoved a lot of pie, cake, cookies and other junk into my gullet, and it took its toll in terms of stretch marks, and gravity, if you know what I mean.

The older you are and the bigger you get, the harder it will be for your skin to recover. That is without even talking about the weight. Take it easy and watch the nutritional value of your foods; not sure what you're eating, but if you stop and think about whether or not it has value for you and the baby, it may be the difference you need.

You know they say that 80% of your success is in your diet, well, it's more like 100% with pregnancy. Make every bite worthwhile.

EDIT: This is NOT to say cut calories while pregnant --DON'T!! I just mean eat good calories, not bad ones, like chips and french fries and cake :)
  • mckinney_mommy
    Options
    If you haven't been eating quite a bit more than usual, then I agree with the pp that said it was likely water weight... your blood volume doubles when your pregnant and hormones tend to make you retain water more. If the beginning I always gain about 5 pounds in the first month. To gain that much in weight you would need around 500-600 calories more than you usually eat, and thanks to morning sickness there's no way I was eating that much!

I do think tracking foods both for nutrition content and to help gain weight appropriately is helpful when your pregnant. It can also be reassuring that you're eating the right amount of nutrition to help grow that little baby!

And congrats on your pregnancy! :)
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    I lost weight in the beginning because I was so sick. :( I ended up gaining quite a bit, like 45 or 50 pounds and I lost like 35 of it by the time I got home from the hospital (I had a lot of water weight and puffiness at the end. I mean, in my hospital pictures I had 4 or 5 chins eek!)

Don't stress over this. I think it's mostly just water weight for you at this point.