lifting weights

Options
i dont think im strength training right, tried upping the weight and doing the 5x5 method doing 3 circuits, i mean i feel the burn while im doing it but when im finished i dont really feel it burning...i mean should my muscles burn after lifting weights?!? I use the machines not free weights btw

Replies

• liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure your muscles should burn after you've finished your sets, but you should feel like you did something. I use free weights because I find it hard to maintain proper form on machines... they really have to be set to your correct height, etc.

Make sure you have someone in the club walk you around and show you the proper use of each machine, and set them for you.

Then, write it down and make sure you have the settings right each time.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The weight should be heavy enough such that those last couple reps are a struggle. You won't always feel a burn after. That's not necessarily an indication of workout effectiveness.

When you say 5x5, I guess you don't mean StrongLifts 5x5? SL5x5 a comprehensive compound lifting program done with a barbell. I don't think there is any suitable substitution for it that can be done via machines. If you have access to a barbell and rack, there is simply no substitute for the major compound lifts: squat, deadlift, bench press, and overhead press
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    DOMS is caused by fermentation in your cells, which means your body couldn't get enough oxygen to your muscles to compensate for the energy that you are using so it reverted to anaerobic respiration to use lactic acid as an energy source instead. As you continue to work out, your body will build more blood vessels to your muscles to get O2 there more effectively, and you won't feel it as much. You are still working your muscles just as hard.

Even though my bio degree tells me this, I still feel frustrated when I don't "feel the burn." :/
  • senseibena
    Options
    Burn during exercise isn't necessarily proportional to effort and gains. You should feel sore the next day(s), unless you have been continously training for a long amount of time.

I reccommend switching to free weights. They are superior because their handling requires lots of stabilization.