Using saved calories?

Options
When I was on weight watchers, we were given saved "extra calories" to use sometime in the week. I'm wondering if that works here? For example, I'm really good the week before, and the first part of this week. But the second part, I spend with friends, and when you're not at home making and weighing your own food, there's only so much you can do. Besides, I do believe in enjoying myself when I'm out with friends. And my friends and I have a bond through Gourmet foods: looking for the best wines, the freshest foods, experimenting with different kinds of cuisines. No garbage, nothing artificial for us. Put it this way. We almost never go to a restaurant (always at one of our homes) because we find the restaurants in our area as not quite up to snuff. This is something that I am not willing to give up: enjoying life with shared experiences with good friends and good food. But I was just wondering if I can compensate (or how much I can compensate) for these moments? I want to enjoy every second of time with my friends, I want to enjoy without any reserve the foods that we each create with love in friendship. And I don't want my worry about calories to put a crinkle in these moments.

So of course, moderation is a given. But I'm curious at what others think about using calories from other days (within a week on either end of the foodie day). Do you think it puts a kink in the metabolism? What do you think?

By the way, last night at dinner, I had for the first time in a very long time, fresh baked French baguette with real butter... mmmmmmmmmm. That was so good. I'd forgotten how good artisanal bread with real butter is.

Replies

• drfelle
    drfelle Posts: 6
    Options
    Plan on what "Gourmet", fatty foods, and wine you're going to partake in. Figure out the calories (as close as possible) and burn that amount with exercise. If you do this before you indulge, it makes the feast a lot more enjoyable!
  • sweettea84
    Options
    That's a good question. I did WW for a while to and I relied on those extra calorie points for when I oops!'d or went out with friends. There used to be a program called "diet workshop" where you could "bank your calories" if you were saving up for something. If it worked for diet workshop and for a well known program like WW, I would think it would work here. Maybe just cut 100 cal. or so day until you eat with your friends.
  • twilight1542
    Options
    When I was on weight watchers, we were given saved "extra calories" to use sometime in the week. I'm wondering if that works here? For example, I'm really good the week before, and the first part of this week. But the second part, I spend with friends, and when you're not at home making and weighing your own food, there's only so much you can do. Besides, I do believe in enjoying myself when I'm out with friends. And my friends and I have a bond through Gourmet foods: looking for the best wines, the freshest foods, experimenting with different kinds of cuisines. No garbage, nothing artificial for us. Put it this way. We almost never go to a restaurant (always at one of our homes) because we find the restaurants in our area as not quite up to snuff. This is something that I am not willing to give up: enjoying life with shared experiences with good friends and good food. But I was just wondering if I can compensate (or how much I can compensate) for these moments? I want to enjoy every second of time with my friends, I want to enjoy without any reserve the foods that we each create with love in friendship. And I don't want my worry about calories to put a crinkle in these moments.

So of course, moderation is a given. But I'm curious at what others think about using calories from other days (within a week on either end of the foodie day). Do you think it puts a kink in the metabolism? What do you think?

By the way, last night at dinner, I had for the first time in a very long time, fresh baked French baguette with real butter... mmmmmmmmmm. That was so good. I'd forgotten how good artisanal bread with real butter is.

Everything in moderation. The last thing you need is to deprive yourself of something you love (e.g. meals with friends), but you don't want to go overboard either. Unless you go super overboard--like eating a 3000 calorie meal on those days, you should be fine.

In terms of trying to "bank" calories, I think the real answer lies in your personal MFP goals. I have a lot of weight to lose so I'm on 1200 cals per day, not including exercise. I typically work out for between 45mins-2hrs everyday so I end up with 400-1000 exercise calories. I sometimes eat all of them, sometimes eat some of them, and sometimes eat none of them. I focus more on how my tummy feels than the calories. Given the drastic calorie deficit, if I cut out even 100 calories each day during the week to make up for a special meal on the weekend I could easily end up putting my body into starvation mode. However, if someone had say a 1800 calorie allowance not including exercise, they would probably be fine doing 100 cals less each day.

So.......I cut out restaurants all together when I began this MFP journey. I hadn't eaten anything I hadn't prepared for 2 months when out of the blue I had 3 special events involving food in a 1&1/2 week period. I was a little worried, but decided to say hell with it. I made the best food choices I could and didn't alter my regular food at all. Needless to say I was shocked to find that it didn't affect my overall weight loss AT ALL. As a matter of fact, for the 2 weeks prior to this, I had lost 1.5lbs and 1 lb respectively (my goal is 2lbs per week), and the 2 week of these events I lost 2lbs each week. Everyone's body is different, so this might not be the case for everyone, but I definitely am no longer fearful that 1 special dinner is going to set me back now.

Just my 2 cents..Hope you find it helpful : )
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I tried WW and if I ate my extra or banked points, I didn't lose that week. Actually, the whole thing was a bust for me.

I didn't learn about calories/fats/protein/nutrients when counting points in a log.

With MFP I have learned so very much about food. Just today I had a Berry Shake and found out it was 48g of sugar!! :noway: I won't do THAT again!!

For me, counting and planning and living have been key in my losing my weight. I love good food......so I eat it, just not every week! Now I limit my dinner to 1 time a month and have fun!!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie

( and ~~drool on the fresh bread and butter)
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This is exactly my beef with WW: you don't really learn enough about nutrition, like how they figure out the "points". From my experience, and what I've learned since, I would say they take your calories for the whole week, so if you're on 1,200 a day that's 8,400 per week, but your regular "points" are a bit short each day so you can spread the rest out through the week any way you like. It's not really "extra". Of course on a day when you don't eat any "flex points" that would leave you below 1,200 cals for that day. No wonder they tell you to eat the points! The other weird thing they do, you actually save up your exercise points and only start eating them after you've used up the flex points. It should be the other way round!

I suppose if you save some of your exercise-earned calories each day you should be able to spend them on the weekend, at least that's what WW seems to be doing, and they seem very similar to MFP.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I am a firm believer in doing everything with intent and in a controled way. I don't think it's a problem to go over once in a while, as long as it's intentional (planned) rather than being angry, upset, etc,. about something and pigging out.

For example, I have been doing phenomenal lately as far as eating and exercising go so last night I intentionally went over on my calories in a controlled way. My boyfriend and I went out to a local restaurant for dinner and to watch the Red Sox game. I split an order of nachos with him as an appetizer- that was my splurge:love: . Then, I had a really good salad for dinner (as I had planned on). I ended up going over for the day by about 300 calories- but was basically planning to. I'm not staying under by 300 today because I don't believe I "need" to- it's never been an issue. If I went over by 300 calories more than once in a while then that's a different story. I hope that makes sense :huh:

This has always worked for me, but I've found that it's all about finding what works for you, and doing it. If it's not broken don't fix it :wink: Just my opinion :flowerforyou:
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to find that balance between enjoying what I eat, eating correctly to lose weight and exercising the right amount to increase my body strength. Actually, it's about creating a realistic lifestyle of healthy eating and exercise habits while also enjoying life, family, friends & food!

Maybe it's a mixed blessing that my bf, friends and I have no funds for going out. So I'm better able to focus on weight loss right now. Then the focus will be maintaining during more social times later.

ARTISAN FRENCH BREAD WITH REAL BUTTER!!!!!!! :noway: :love: :noway: :love:
    Whoa Nelly! Haven't had that in a mighty long time! YUMMM! :sad:

So...... how to juggle all that and not go into starvation mode? Or gain weight? Or yo-yo up & down?

I agree that going with how your body & tummy feel should play into the mix, perhaps even more so than being super-anal about tracking all the numbers? As long as you stay on course with your weight loss program, I don't think it should be a problem.

My unprofessional opinion would be to go light during the week (but not into starvation mode) and go a little heavier on the weekends (but not into overload).

It's all about finding perfect balance Grasshopper! :bigsmile:
    Sounds like your friends are also concerned about good health?
    Those special times are way too precious to miss! ENJOY - IN Joy!
    If you can eat one slice, and not whole loaf, I say GO Girl! :drinker: :love:
  • barbarella
    Options
    MMMMMMMM.................

I'm still thinking about that bread & butter!!! :sad: :laugh: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Barb was REALLY feelin it..........double post:laugh:
  • barbarella
    Options
    HA HA...... you caught that! :flowerforyou:

I deleted and added in another comment......
    about BREAD--- My Evil Twin!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I love all the comments and advice, and think that they are all on track! Personally, I just wouldn't worry about it, as long as you choose well and keep moderate. Make sure to log in what you've consumed. If it's an occasional thing, even once a week, then it's freedom that will help you to keep a healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life! Many "plans" such as Body 4 Life, and others, advise one to have a "free-for-all" day, once a week. This is more mental than anything, because once one gets used to eating well, typically, better choices are made on the free days!

So have fun, keep moderate, and enjoy your freedom on your journey to fitness and health... for life!

:flowerforyou:

Susie
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Pretty much I was already thinking has been said, but one more thing to add ..

There's been a lot of discussion on MFP bout zigzagging calories, basically altering the number you eat by 100-500cal a day or so to keep your metabolism guessing, and , in theory, burning at maximum speed. Although it may be slightly out of context, I use this argument to sit down with my boyfriend once or twice and feast haha. We usually go to Moose Winooski's and get the sweet potato fries (topped with shredded cheddar, sour cream, chives, and bacon, soo goood) a couple pounds of wings, and a side of fried calamari. Sometime we'll even down a pitcher of beer on top of that! I realize that may be a little overboard, but we're both super active, and it hasn't effected my weight loss at all. In fact, Usually, a couple days later, after all the food and water weight is gone, I'm down a pound or so!

I've tried looking up the cals for this stuff, but I can't find it anywhere. Anywho, I'm going to say its quite likely over 2000, :blushing:
    Mind you, we'll also bike 60km in the same day.. So I'm usually about 1000cal over or so?

But yeah, experiment a bit, so you know how much your body will take before it does damage to your weight loss, and feel free to indulge once in awhile! I'd say your helping your weight loss more than hindering it!:flowerforyou:
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I do feel better. I was just a little worried. We hadn't seen these friends for three months, so just this week when they got back from Europe, we are doing three things together (dim sum this last Thursday, Trout and raw oysters yesterday, and going to the soccor game (Go Barcelona!) today). I'm going to bring dinner to the stadium, and control tonights dinner.

I will experiment and see what really works for me.

Bread and butter (drool).

I also love sweet potato fries (although at the restaurant where I get them, they just come with salt, pepper, garlic, and a yummy honey mustard sauce. woooooooo.

I knew I could count on you all to pep me up.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It's good for the metabolism, and perfectly fine to have a higher calorie day every now and then. How much you want to splurge would depend on how many calories you were willing to give up from your overall deficit for the week. You could also do a little extra exercise and not eat those calories to even out at the end of the week.