College student needs help

Options
im a music major and have to spend lots of time in a practice room, i am at school from 7am-10pm most days...i can usually pack a decent lunch but i always mess up on the snacks and getting enough excercise...the doctor says i need to lose 40 pounds because of my family history with diabetes...any help with good snacks or excercises would be awesome

Replies

• smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    since ur in school there should be a gym available to you, i would advise you to use it. or better yet take a break fro the practice room and go for a nice walk. As far as snacks are you going to the vending machine? if so thats where you would be messing up at. try bringing your own snacks like fruit or even a bowl of cheerios or nuts, something like that. hope this helps:)
  • drfelle
    drfelle Posts: 6
    Options
    I know you've probably heard this a thousand times, but you need to eat 6-7 times a day. Not full meals but small snacks. Here's what I usually do.

0600 Breakfast - Instant Quaker Oatmeal (Weight Control)
    0830 Snack - Large Granny Smith Apple
    1045 Snack - Kashi GOLEAN Crunchy Bar
    1130 Lunch - Miltons Whole Wheat Bread(Slice) w/1 tablespoon Skippy Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter (Eat Slow)
    1245 2nd Lunch - Miltons Whole Wheat Bread(Slice) w/1 tablespoon Skippy Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter (Eat Slow)
    1400 Snack - Box of Sunmaid Raisins (Eat 2-3 raisins at a time, not all at once)
    1530 Snack - GOLEAN Roll Bar
    1700 Snack - Large Peach (any large fruit will do)
    1830 Dinner - Chicken,Vegetables, and a slice of Whole Wheat Bread/Toast.

Count up those calories, factor in if you work out and burn at least 300-400 calories, and you will find that you can indulge a bit at dinner. I usually even have enough calories for a Grilled Stuffed Burrito at Taco Bell.

I hope this helps.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. This site is awesome, you will love it here if you don't already. I :heart: it here. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you that I wish that you have great success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    A banana is the perfect snack.