Which artificial sweetener

Options
Are there any artificial sweeteners that are safe to use? I've read all the things about Equal and some of the others are not safe to use and actually cause you to not loose weight, but are any of them safe.

I was an artificial sweetener user mostly for my AM coffee or for tea but have very recently switched to honey. Please tell me what you think on this subject. I'm eager to hear your thoughts. I learn so many new things each day.

Replies

• elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use splenda, not sure if it's safe, dont like honey in my coffee though, interested in what others think too.
  • darbobo
    darbobo Posts: 53
    Options
    stevia
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    you can buy a splenda sugar blend. It's only 10 calories per teaspoon. Or go all natural and organic and just enjoy the treat. It shouldn't account for that many of your calories. :smile:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I use Domino Pure cane sugar at 15 calories a spoonful... I only use a couple scoops in my coffee in the morning so I don't have a problem with 30 calories in my morning coffee
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    Technically speaking, NO. Even splenda is showing signs of carcenogens. I believe sacralose is pretty good (pink packet) I personally do not use artificial sweetners except sacralose and splenda. I mainly will use sugar in moderation. I am one of those people who can "prove" how dangerous nutrasweet is. It breaks down into ethyl alchol and phermaldahyde, and rat poison. It gives me seizures if I drink any amounts larger than one diet soda can. SO I try to stay away from anything artificial. IT does have dangerous effects and I would stick to honey or sugar in moderation. But, not everyone is affected badly by them so to each their own. I say if you want to use it. Use it but know the risks of using them first.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Stevia if you need sweetener... one thing that worked here to get friends to cut back the add-ins to their coffee etc was using a better quality coffee... I fresh grind the beans for every pot.

Stevia grows in my garden... great stuff. Just watch the truvia/ purevia versions or other ones that are "cup for cup" replacements for sugar as they have a lot of filler in them to bulk them up like that.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Stevia, no calorie, not artificial.
  • thinsoundsgood
    Options
    sweet and low, 0 calories. i have one packet with my tea. don't use more than one packet though, they're really sweet!
  • robin49505
    robin49505 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's Stevia or nothing!
  • slightner
    slightner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda. Used it through 2 pregnancies and both babies had all the right parts :) Everything causes cancer these days, maybe I should worry but I dont.
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    Options
    sugar or nothing. everything else is poisonous.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 17 day diet so for the moment I've switched to Truvia. It's not as fake tasting as some of the other substitutes. Be careful though. It's really sweet. A teaspoon of Truvia makes my coffee sweeter than a tablespoon of regular sugar. I'm not sure where honey is as far as calories but I've had it in coffee and it tastes fine. As soon as I can transition back to a normal diet, I'm going back to my organic cane sugar. Nothing beats the real thing.
  • sunshine83777
    Options
    Organic Blue Agave is a good sweetener.
  • 69Greer
    69Greer Posts: 36
    Options
    "The one “natural” no calorie sweetener I like is called stevia. There’s one brand that makes a lemon-flavored variety. I add a few drops in my water and it makes it taste like lemonade" (Dr. Daniel Amen) of AmenClinics.net.

I'm a big fan of Daniel's work and have referred a couple of my clients to him over the years for matters unrelated to weight. However, his handle on neurochemistry and diet is excellent.
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
  • MrsRiddick
    MrsRiddick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia natural sweetner.
  • lapd02
    lapd02 Posts: 1
    Options
    I use Splenda (which is sucralose), no more than one 'cause it's really sweet.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Great information there. I just felt it was time to get off the artificial sweetener kick. Been using it for years and I agree it just can't be healthy. I didn't realize it until my daughter pointed out to me once my memory was sort of slipping. I quit using Equal and my memory got much better. So I don't use the blue stuff any more. I need all the memory I can keep. ha ha.. And I did see some blue agave in the grocery store today and wondered about that one. I may do a little research on my own on the agave products. I noticed there were three of them.

I really do appreciate the input. Would love to hear more.

Cancer runs rampant in my family so I try to be careful.
  • HIITTheChallenge
    HIITTheChallenge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I prefer Stevia which is natural from a plant root or Splenda which is the safest.
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    I only use real sugar. There really aren't that many calories in just a packet (around 20). You're not going to add that many calories to your drink by adding a packet or two. Artificial sweeteners mess by blood sugar up (I actually don't have blood sugar issues normally, but if I drink any diet soda or anything like that my blood sugar drops and I get the shakes).

Here's a blog article I found on the subject that may be helpful:

http://www.fitnessmantra.info/2006/09/12/sweeteners-and-sugar-substitutes-why-i-just-use-sugar/