Which artificial sweetener

Options

Replies

• cdburger94
    cdburger94 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've switched to truvia. I have a blog written about it. Pros/cons. If you're interested in reading it let me know.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've switched to truvia. I have a blog written about it. Pros/cons. If you're interested in reading it let me know.
    I'd love to read your blog. Thanks
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I use splenda all the time!
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I dont use them because they taste very weird to me..i can tell right away that something I am eating has artificial sweetener

I sometimes use a bit of honey (1/2 to 1 tsp) or dont use sugar at all. In my coffee I add an extra milk instead of the sugar until i slowly get used to no sugar
    There is Agave ...dunno the side effects but from what I have heard, Agave does not give you a sugar rush or effect insulin levels like sugar does..you can google it for more info

Also, on dr oz, they showed that Sweeteners are addictive and can actually make you gain weight after time as your brain is confused and craves more sugar..

Its hard..almost like a damned if you do and damned if you dont scenerio...so i stick to no sugar
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Via
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Personally when I use Splenda my cravings go through the roof. Does this happen to anyone else?? I use stevia now.
  • kristi_asco
    kristi_asco Posts: 183
    Options
    i've learned that stevia is the best. it's all natural and no calorie. this is what my nutrition teacher that i took last semester told our class and she was a very firm believer in eating natural, healthy foods!
  • levi0823
    levi0823 Posts: 12
    Options
    I use truvia also. I'd love to use pure stevia extract, but I can't find it locally and shipping in most of the places I've looked makes it unreasonably priced. At least with the truvia I can pick it up with my other groceries. I used to use Splenda, but I'm leary of it as there are no long term studies yet.....
  • sunshine83777
    Options
    The organic blue agave is really good. It's good in your coffee and in your tea............... on cereal. I have used it on my french toast instead of syrup with some cinnamon....... MMMMM its really good!
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use NOW brand xyletol. 10 calories per teaspoon and one teaspoon in my coffee is perfect. I have tried Stevia and I don't like it very much.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    I had heard somewhere that after time the body just saw it as sugar. That was one of the reasons I'm getting off of it. My problem is I love my coffee really sweet and I don't want to use that much sugar or honey in it. It would be like having a little coffee with my honey if you know what I mean. Artificial sweetener filled the bill but has to go.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I just purchased Stevia to use in baking and in my tea. I really like it.

I've never liked sweet coffee... just give me the pure stuff.
  • LKK61
    LKK61 Posts: 1
    Options
    Like some others, I have also been told by my nutritionist that Truvia (from the stevia plant) or just Stevia is safe.
  • cdburger94
    cdburger94 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ignore all of the disclaimers and what not. I really love this stuff and it's all my opinion.

Here you go :)
    http://www.unhingedmakeup.com/2012/03/truviaswtnr.html

It is a little expensive but it goes a LONG way. Like someone said... a teaspoon of this is as sweet or sweeter than a tablespoon of sugar.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    I had heard truvia was good. I've never tried it.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'll start off saying Every Body is Different. What works for one may not work for another. With that,

I used to use honey but the high-fructose content was actually back-firing on me: immediate "high" followed by a crash & virtual narcoleptic episodes (no joke). I tried Stevia but it just "tastes" artificial & gave me nasty headaches (same as artificial sweeteners like aspartame & I tried them all at different points/times/drinks). I stick with raw cane sugar - the body can metabolize it with little difficulty (unless you have insulin issues) and burn it up without storing it relatively quickly. I use Sugar in the Raw, in coffee & tea, and just make caloric allowances - seriously, run up/down the stairs for a few minutes, play with your pet, unload the dishwasher or fold & put away laundry, you just burned off the 20 cals.

But every Body is different. Use what you like, enjoy, works for you. As a couple people mentioned, artificial sweeteners can be broken down chemically into carcinogens & it seems pretty much everything in this world today causes cancer (ever been talking on your cell phone while heating lunch or dinner in the micro? Yea, exposure to severe radiation on both sides. But if you're not any worse off yet, why worry?).

You only get one life, live it the way you want, for you, and don't let someone else choose for you. You only get one shot...
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Personally when I use Splenda my cravings go through the roof. Does this happen to anyone else?? I use stevia now.

That was another reason I got off artificial anything! Since I eat sugar, I don't crave like I used to (well, except at certain times & Hubz gives in cuz he knows his life may depend on me getting that chocolate... :wink: )
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Stevia! Truvia is pretty good, but you can buy a huge container of the powder at a health foods/supplements store. The brand is NuNaturals. It is WAY cheaper that way... We've had one container for a year.
    I don't use that for EVERYTHING though. I think it tastes fine in coffee and tea, I use it in oatmeal sometimes. I have not tried baking/cooking with it. (I usually use cane sugar, sparingly).
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Raw sugar, 1 teaspoon sweetens my daily espresso macchiato
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Stevia, I use it in my water and green smoothies (sweetleaf english toffee flavored stevia) and in pizza crusts(stevia powder) etc.