Calories burned seems too high

Options
I feel like when I select minutes on a treadmill or on a walk at 2.5 or 3 MPH that the number of calories burned seems way to high. I was always told that a mile at 3 MPH burns around 120 calories, but when I log 2.5 MPH for 30 minutes it shows 234. Seems too high. Anyone else think MFP is VERY generous with their calories burned?

Replies

• 2Grtkids
    2Grtkids Posts: 93
    Options
    Yes, very. My rule of thumb is to take 75% of what it tells me. I don't know why 75%, but I definitely think they overestimate at MFP.
  • iscrm4iscrm
    Options
    Since calories burned are based on your own individual height and weight, the amounts listed are really only best guesses. I purchased a heart rate monitor that provides the true calorie count. If you want accurate numbers, I'd highly recommend one. The Polar FT60 is great. Just a suggestion :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Since calories burned are based on your own individual height and weight, the amounts listed are really only best guesses. I purchased a heart rate monitor that provides the true calorie count. If you want accurate numbers, I'd highly recommend one. The Polar FT60 is great. Just a suggestion :)

This!! I have the FT60 and love it... I like that it also figures your Vo2Max which helps with the accuracy...
  • eal12_00
    eal12_00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I go by what the treadmill tells me and adjust the mfp by that so if i walk 20 mins @ 3.0 and it is 100 on the treadmill i add or subtract minutes on the mfp to fit. i also use a heart monitor watch that helps too
  • Reikofs
    Reikofs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The calories listed on any cardio machine is way over estimated. I ran 5 miles today at a 9min/mile pace. MFP said I burned 516 calories in 45 min. My garmin 350 forerunner with a heart rate monitor said I burned 325 calories. I believe my garmin. It seems that MFP overestimates by 35%.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i agree with the need for an HRM. i also have an ft60
  • madiseanderson
    Options
    I was thinking the exact same thing, seem like they give way too many cal. burned for walking