Legs still hurt after this long... can I please get some hel

Options
Hey there MFP-ers,

I started a job as a dogwalker almost six weeks ago. On a day to day basis I'm actually *walking* dogs for maybe 80 minutes, sometimes 120 to 140 (my schedule changes daily and some dogs are too young or old to be walked, so we just stand with them in the yard). I walk at a pace that depends on the dog's age, size, and energy, but it never exceeds 3.5 mph.

Anyway before I started my job I was very sedentary, so I expected to be sore for a little bit. Five weeks later I'm just as sore as when I started. What is up? I don't understand why my legs hurt so bad. I rest on the weekends. Some days I have only 5 walks, 2 of which are just yard time, so they could be considered "down" days... I just don't get it. Some areas are kind of flat, some are hilly, but I rarely feel like it's a mountain trek.

I'm just annoyed because my legs are so sore I can rarely exercise on my own without quickly over-straining myself (did 3 miles of walking/jogging yesterday and literally made little noises climbing the stairs today), which sucks because I have limited myself to 1200 calories a day (I don't count the dog walking as exercise and instead just consider myself "lightly active" on my profile) and I'd really like those exercise calories...

I eat really healthy, protein 2x a day, potassium regularly, just fyi in case someone were to suggest diet as a factor...

Replies

• Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Not really sure what protein twice a day means. or what that equals. But when it comes to doms or soreness.. as long as its not a pain then its ok... i suggest you get more protein(just based of x2 protein a day.. that doesn't seem like much? not sure because i can't see diet sorry ) , stay hydrated and make sure you get a good sleep in each night.

Another thing you can try.. at least it works for me when i get doms after squat days.. stretching before bed seems to help. Don't really have anything else. it should just go away after a few days. never heard of 5 weeks. sorry

gl, stay strong

oh and edit.. if you are only eating 1200 calories a day and doing all the exercise.. you need to eat more.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Try new shoes?
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I would say it could also depend on the surfaces you are walking on. When I walk on asphalt even a little bit, I ache like crazy the next day.
  • letsgetserious
    letsgetserious Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    5 weeks is a long time...... you did get good advice...proper new shoes, surface may not be friendly to your shins, eat more protein and are you stretching before and after..... this is very important!!!! Good luck ..its bound to get better :-)
  • raydot
    raydot Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will definitely grab some new shoes because I do walk on a lot of asphalt and my sneakers are getting pretty ratty.

Sorry about the confusion, I meant 2 protein-based meals a day, like eggs for breakfast and nuts and babybel cheese as a snack, but I will be sure to try to get some in with every meal.

Again thank you all. :)
    (And regardless of how my legs feel I'll be cranking up the daily exercise for the round the world challenge letsgetserious)
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would also pay attention to inclines.... that sometimes bothers my shins and knees, especially downhill.

But new shoes is an awesome idea and I would go near the end of the day when you feet and legs are tired. Getting a good stable pair of walking/running shoes will make a difference.

As for hard surfaces, I wear my crocs in our house when I had to do a lot of standing. Especially when cooking in the kitchen. I would love to cover my kitchen with gel matts but not practical. Much cheaper to wear a pair of crocs!
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yep, new sneakers. You might try looking at New Balance. They have lots of nice options (like Walking Strike Path; see more here: http://www.footsmart.com/comfort-shoe-brands-new-balance-shoes.aspx) depending on the characteristics of your feet. Also, be sure to change out your shoes whenever the soles are wearing out (usually every season if you walk ~2-5 miles a day).

Oooh, also, let me plug my favorite long distance walking socks, Thorlos (made in the USA): http://www.thorlo.com/walking-socks.php . You might want to start w/ the Moderate cushion, as the Thick cushion is really, really thick (but may be worth it depending on your feet). Yes, they are expensive, but worth every penny if you do a lot of walking. Be sure to wash them inside out w/ some softener to keep the threads nice and springy.