Is it shin splints?

Options
I am doing C25k, week 4. I have what I call shin splints but I'm not sure if that's what they actually are. If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it! I really want to do a 5k in May, but not sure if I can get past this pain!!

--Shins (the bones themselves, it feels like) hurt terribly during and after running
--Inner calf muscles get very tight during run, but are fine after
--Shin bones continue to be sore for a couple of days
--Special shoes (I am flat-footed and overpronate) didn't help
--Running on the treadmill is much much easier on them than pavement--can't usually finish the workout on pavement
--Do it some during 30 day shred DVD, but not as bad as running

Replies

• Nursiemj2
    Nursiemj2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    yes
  • ejcverkerk
    ejcverkerk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's shin splints. I just acquired them last week during week 2 of C25K. Le sigh, now I'm out of the game to rest for a while.
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    sounds like it. you can google it and read all about them. be sure you are stretching well before and after your runs and are well hydrated. you may need to take a break from running for a few weeks though. good luck!
  • fatcellsuck
    fatcellsuck Posts: 184
    Options
    I had shin splints once, they SUCKED! Gotta lay off the running for a while.
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sure sounds like it. I have both of those issues among others and have pretty much decided running just isn't for me. Too much impact on my feet. Kinda bummed me out because I was pretty excited about C25K and I live in Eugene Oregon which is the self-proclaimed "Running Capitol."
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints. I got them when I first started working out. They went away for me once I got into a regular routine.

People gave me a couple tips that really helped me stretch the muscles:

1. When you are sitting in a chair, tap your toes.
    2. When you are lying down, spell the alphabet with your toes.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
  • GenZoe
    GenZoe Posts: 2
    Options
    Try not to diagnose your self but remember as we train our body gets inflammation. Rest is a great way to heal but you also want to accomplish a goal. Instead of totally giving up change your training to walk/run intervals until you are able to possibly run the whole distance. Utilize different therapies to help your healing process. As stated in a prior post stretching is key. Also ice and other types of therapy as ultra sound, magnetic or massage. I recommend finding a massage therapist, chiropractor or physical therapist to help you in finding the right therapies for your pain. Good luck and never give up!!
  • makeitbetter
    Options
    Here's what helped me get rid of recurring shin splints:

1. Ice shins after a run & ibuprofen to reduce swelling and pain
    2. Stretch before and after a run
    3. Shortened my stride and changed from heel strike to mid-foot strike (this made a big difference)
    4. Better shoes (this got rid of the last of the minor aches)
  • bbysars
    bbysars Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had it for almost 2 months and found it hard to workout at my regular pace, but I took about 3 weeks off of exercising to heal it up/go on vacation and it's all healed up now! I found 30 day shred to be to high impact (the cardio parts) with the jumping and stuff, just do what you can but stop if it hurts, you might be straining it more.