Australians looking for Konjac - Shiritaki - Miracle noodles

Options
LemonSnap
LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
I've found them at Woolworths and they are selling them as Chang's - Super Lo-Cal Wok Ready Noodles. $2.29 / (200g).

The Chang's website states they are stocked at Woolworths (NSW,NT,QLD,SA,TAS,VIC,WA). I found them in Ballarat, Victoria in the area where they stock all the other Asian noodles and sauces.

The local Asian grocery was selling them as Shiritaki noodles for nearly $7.00 / (200g) :noway: - I'll check out the Asian grocers in Richmond when I'm there on Saturday.

image?51ad2fb87a061e71db699517778d187e

Replies

• naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting this up. Very helpful. I find now I"m going to Coles for some stuff and then Woollies for others...

Have you tried them yet?
  • LemonSnap
    Options
    Had them in Miso soup with vegetables and they were great. They are much like vermicelli. We're going to have them Japanese curry tonight - instead of rice. I think I'll also try them in rice paper rolls instead of vermicelli.
  • skphi1
    skphi1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Woollies also stock slimpasta in the their health food section.
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that info. I am totally addicted to Miracle noodles and have been buying them online directly from the company. Bit expensive so I will see if I can find them at Woolies. I did check our local Woolies but they didn't stock them, but them I do live in the country. Will stock up when I go to Melbourne. Hooray for "calorie free" noodles.
  • LemonSnap
    Options
    We bought them in Coles Maryborough (Victoria) today: two packets for $3.00.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'll check in our local Woolies next time I'm there... I was looking for Shiritaki noodles in the local Asian grocery store but they didn't have them. I saw a fabulous recipe on here that combined them with bean sprouts and flavourings for a low cal noodle fix - looked great!
  • Starbec
    Starbec Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was looking in our local Woolies today but no luck :(
    I'm in the ACT - I guess I'll just keep waiting.

Thanks for posting!

Mmmm - love rice paper rolls!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I've seen them in my local Coles too, I'm in Berwick, Vic.
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I found the Changs one in Coles and IGA has Slim pasta which isn't bad.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I still haven't found them at local woolies or coles. But my Asian grocer is only $2.50 for 200g pack anyway. Support the little guys :smile:
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Interesting - and if it tastes nice, even better. I'll consider these

Unfortunately, like always, ACT gets ignored :grumble:
  • LemonSnap
    Options
    I'm pleased this has been helpful. They were great as a substitute for rice with Japanese curry (love our veg).

I think they will be perfect instead of rice noodles in Singapore Noodles. We're heading to Melbourne on Saturday so will be stopping in to Victoria Street, Richmond (fabulous Asian community there) to stock up on our Asian ingredients. When in Richmond or Springvale (fabulous Asian community there) we can never resist stopping for a bowl of Pho (Vietnamese soup)..... hey!!
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.

:love:

I'll leave now to buy before stores or woolies close for the day.

Thank you.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Checked my local Woolies this aftermoon and although they stock plenty of 'changs' products, the low cal noodles wasn't one of them! I was so disappointed, I bought hot cross buns, butter and chocolate instead!! Yey me! Doh! :(
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Asian stores didn't have, found them at woolies. On sale 2 for $3. Best before April 2013.
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love slim pasta (spaghetti kind), haven't tried the angel hair packet that's sitting in my pantry.

I haven't seen the changs lo cal one but will look again tomorrow!
    Great post, go Aussies!
  • jarrodc
    jarrodc Posts: 102
    Options
    Oh crap! I went looking for these just yesterday!!! Might have missed them, I'll go back today as it's just a walk up the road haha :) THANKS!
  • jarrodc
    jarrodc Posts: 102
    Options
    Just went up to my local Woolies. They didn't have anything in the asian section (the Chuangs / Miracle Noodles) but they did have the slimpasta in the health food section which from what I can gather is exactly the same food with different packaging :D

Thanks so much for pointing that out everyone :)
  • gigisabastian
    gigisabastian Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    These can be found in many Asian supermarkets & are usually a lot cheaper than those found in Coles or Woollies that are marketed as a weight loss product. If you ask an employee at an Asian supermarket for Shiritaki noodles you might have some luck. Market City (Haymarket) IGA has 380g packets of Konjac noodles for $1.80 each in the Japanese food section. The label is in Japanese characters so I had to ask an employee to show me where they were located, but once you know what you're looking for it's easy.

Unfortunately many companies will capitalise on peoples' desire to lose weight by charging a lot more than is necessary for products marketed towards weight loss. The Japanese have been eating these noodles for aeons so to them it's just food, not specifically "weight loss" food.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've been eating these for a while now and just recently started 'dry frying' them first (throw in a pan with a little spray of non-stick spray) and sauteing them around for 5-6 minutes... it really helps get rid of all that moisture. Before I was doing this I'd use them in stir-frys and in place of spaghetti, etc... but they were always so wet! This way is MUCH better... fry 'em up to dry 'em out... then do your stirfry or whatever... so good!

Just a tip... :)