So I feel like I'm hitting a plateau?

Options
I feel like I've slowly been coming to a plateau, as in my weight loss is coming to a hault. I've been keeping my calories at no more than 1200 per day for 2 months now. At first I was losing a lot of weight (I've lost 13 lbs so far and my goal is 50) and I know that it's always a quick loss at first, but now I'm only seeing about 1 lb every 2 weeks it seems. I have been going to Zumba classes when I can, and doing some resistance workouts as well. I feel as though maybe I'm not doing enough exercise, but it's hard to fit it in when I work so much. Any suggestions on how to kick this plateau? Thanks for reading! :)

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1200 total or 1200 net? A lot of people find that eating exercise calories helps break plateaus. I've eaten mine all along and never experienced a plateau. Or you could try switching to maintenance calories for a bit and then go back on your deficit. Just to shake things up a bit. Some people find that doing maintenance for a short while and then going back to their deficit helps.
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    Good Luck..I've been at a plateau for over 7 months...Upped and lowered my cals, I do cardio and weights...weights and cardio, zumba, now trying lifting heavy for women...
  • CrazyFly7
    CrazyFly7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I feel that happens to all of us at one point or another in our journey. My best suggestion would be to mix up your workouts, so instead of Zumba, perhaps try a cycle class, or a boot camp instead or swim some laps in the pool. At least for me, If I do similar workouts my body gets bored and I don't work as hard. It sounds like that you've been doing really well with calories. What about your water intake?

The other thing is perhaps at work you can do leg lifts under your desk or walk the stairs instead of taking the elevator. Keep moving in some manner or another. If i see someone who needs help lifting something or assistance with anything (keeps you busy, keeps you moving) and it helps a little.

Do you have a long lunch break? Maybe a quick lunch and a walk around the block or something? I wish you luck in overcoming your plateau though, I know it can be frustrating being stuck, but continue at it and you'll get through it! Good luck!!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Your body adjusts to your routines. So make it less routine. Maybe eat like 1000 for 3 days, then eat 1800 on a 4th.
    Throw in an extra day of exercise. Alternatively, like others said, try different exercise.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    A plateau is no weight loss for 3-5 weeks.

Never eat less than 1200 NET calories. Otherwise your body will fight to hold onto every last bit of fat.