Exercise when sick...or take a break???

Options
I've just had a sinus infection this week but super exhausted.

Any thoughts about taking time off from the exercise or just work through it???

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    If you feel okay while you're exercising I say work through it. I usually feel like a bad work out is better than no work out.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Someone the other day said, if its above the neck its ok, if its below (ie chest) take a break.

Sounds like you have to work through it =)
  • HIITTheChallenge
    HIITTheChallenge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Someone the other day said, if its above the neck its ok, if its below (ie chest) take a break.

That is what my doctor says!!!
  • agrzybow
    agrzybow Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Funny, actually I am under the weather, too. I have a fever, so I am opting out of exercise for a couple days until I feel less chilled, achy, and my fever breaks. Actually, I am not feeling particularly hungry, either, so I am going to take it easy. I think it depends on how you feel and how much energy you have to work out.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i will generally exercise if i can breathe without a problem. i've had a hard time this month due to all the pollen making my allergies act up. i don't like going to a public facility to work out if i'm coughing or sneezing. it just doesn't seem fair to the people that are there with me. wiping down a machine doesn't kill germs in the air.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My allergies have been acting up since things are starting to bloom here, and I really, really didn't want to work out this weekend. I gave it a go though, and actually felt better for having done it. However, I had taken several days off prior d/t work hours (12 hour days most of the week) and didn't really want to miss anymore.

Do what you can, maybe start light or start with a modified workout and see how you feel during the workout.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

That is what my doctor says!!!

This is what I've heard too. I notice that if I'm stopped up and start exercising, I actually clear up while I'm exercising.
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have a sinus infection and I went to zumba today as I read that exercise can actaully make you feel better if your symptoms are from the head up. i got through it OK, a little tired but I compromised and skipped lifting. Tomorrow I will lift and skip cardio if I still feel poopy. I am on antibiotics so i wasn't too worried about making anyone sick but frankly, if you don't feel up to it, I wouldn't push it.
  • mischa_12
    mischa_12 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's virtually impossible to exercise when you're feeling sick imo, I say just give your body a bit of rest and get back to it once you're feeling better.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. That's what I do. Most of the time I feel better after working out but it depends on what I'm sick with. Id say with sinus stuff you should drink tons of fluids and work through it :)
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    when i am sick, the most i'll do is some light walking. i feel like getting sick is my body's way of telling me to rest.
  • Jessicalynnelliott
    Options
    I am a teachers assistant and our 4th grade class is studying health...the other day we read that if you are sick or extremely tired to take a break from exercise because you could do your body more harm than good! Hope this helps and I hope you feel better.
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would do some kind of a workout, maybe it won't be your highest intensity, but the point is that you are moving about.

Sinus infections are miserable, and so just tone it down if it makes you feel worse. Again, the biggest thing is that you are moving. You are not going to have the greatest calorie burn but better than sitting around doing nothing.
  • james_tew
    james_tew Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    At the moment I have an annoying head cold. I had yesterday off but I have trained for an hour if not more every other day. I feel fine. lots of water and cold and flu tablets. Boom.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd take a break.You need a chance to recharge after fighting off an infection, IMO. It's not going to hurt anything to give your body a chance to rest for a couple of days until you feel well again, as long as you do get back to it when you're well.
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love this site!!! Thanks everyone for the great ideas :smooched: