First Half Marathon

Options
Sweettart
Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
Tonight I signed up for my first half marathon Sept 23! I am so scared and nervous.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• McMommyx3
    McMommyx3 Posts: 19
    Options
    Awesome! I am planning to run my 1st 1/2 in November! Have you ran any other races? I have only done a 5K. I want to start training, but i am unsure where to start! Maybe we can learn together :)
  • ssdesai01
    Options
    I signed up for 1st half in October, also can run only 5K so far.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tips...I've only done a 5k myself, but I'm planning on running my first half next feb! Good luck!! You can do it!
  • onewithwings
    Options
    Jeff Galloway training program! Especially if you're a first time runner.

It's an AMAZING program. I have learned so much. I have developed unconditional enthusiasm for running and a huge boost to my self esteem!

Go for it...and don't look back!
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have signed up for my first half in October as well. I have done a bunch of 5K races and am doing my second 10K this weekend. The half marathon app that I got for my phone has a start date for training of 07/16 (this is based on the date of my race). It is a 12 week program. I am excited to get started.

Good luck!
  • docjoe
    docjoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I've done a few of them, some well trained and some not. The most important tip....TRAIN. Be consistent, be smart and don't get hurt. If you do the above and follow a realistic program, you'll have nothing to be nervous about. Good luck!
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I've done a few of them, some well trained and some not. The most important tip....TRAIN. Be consistent, be smart and don't get hurt. If you do the above and follow a realistic program, you'll have nothing to be nervous about. Good luck!

I second this advice. I will also suggest registering and running in some 5 and 10 Ks leading up to the half. (If you haven't already.) A race setting is obviously MUCH different than a training run, and you will find that your pace will be a little faster due to the adrenaline and your tendency to follow the pack. This is OK with shorter runs, but can be disastrous for a half! Plus, your 5K and 10K race times will help you dial in an attainable pace goal for the half. Use the McMillan calculator for help with your training.... <http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator&gt;

Good luck and congrats!
  • Sweettart
    Options
    I have not ran any races in almost 2 years but I am on week 6 of couch to 10k and then plan on running 5 and 10ks. I will be training for the half.

Thx for the advice!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I plan on signing up for my first 1/2 too.... Disney 1/2 marathon next January. I've read about the Hal Higdon Training program, and I am going to look into that.

Good luck to you!!!!
  • Sweettart
    Options
    Does anyone have a good strength training workout?