One reason why water is very important in weight loss

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
http://health.howstuffworks.com/question447.htm

In summary:

What you and I refer to as a Calorie (big/capital "C") is actually a kilocalorie, or 1000 calories (little "c"). So what is a calorie? Scientifically, it is the measurement of energy that is needed to increase the temperature of one gram of water, by one degree celcius.

So, if you drink ice water, your body has to expend energy to raise the temperature of that water to your body temperature. So, the simple act of drinking ice water will cause you to burn calories. How much? 8 8oz glasses a day comes out to about 70 calories burnt. Up that to 16oz glasses? You're at more than 140... about the same amount you'd burn running two miles. Pretty cool huh?

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/question447.htm

In summary:

What you and I refer to as a Calorie (big/capital "C") is actually a kilocalorie, or 1000 calories (little "c"). So what is a calorie? Scientifically, it is the measurement of energy that is needed to increase the temperature of one gram of water, by one degree celcius.

So, if you drink ice water, your body has to expend energy to raise the temperature of that water to your body temperature. So, the simple act of drinking ice water will cause you to burn calories. How much? 8 8oz glasses a day comes out to about 70 calories burnt. Up that to 16oz glasses? You're at more than 140... about the same amount you'd burn running two miles. Pretty cool huh?
  • Beccilynn
    Beccilynn Posts: 177
    Options
    WOW that is awesome !
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I can't drink ice water, lol, it hurts my teeth
  • xmimikinsx
    xmimikinsx Posts: 191
    Options
    Wow amazing!
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting........learn something new everyday:happy:
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    I can't drink ice water, lol, it hurts my teeth

I'm in the same boat... I have to make sure it's very warm water in order to drink it. :smile:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting........learn something new everyday:happy:

Me too. I love this joint! :love: