Side Cramps?!?!?!?!?! HELP!

Options
e_NV_y
e_NV_y Posts: 100 Member
Ok so for the past couple of days I have been getting some seriously painful side cramps while working out. Like every single time I do Zumba, Run, pretty much anything... Sometimes they are sporadic throughout the workout but other times it is a constant sharp pain in my side.. This is not a normal thing for me, I actually cant even remember the last time I had a side cramp before this week? Someone told me it could be that I am not drinking enough water.. but that is literally ALL I drink throughout the day except coffee in the morning so I don't think that is it.. another person said I could be my breathing.. I don't know but they are painful. I just had one during my c25k run about 10mins ago and it made me want to completely fold over it was so bad.. I finished my run thankfully but want them to be over!

What causes them?? What am I doing wrong???

Help! :(

Replies

• e_NV_y
    Options
    bump
  • e_NV_y
    Options
    am i the only one? lol
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Called the side stitch. When you exercise the motion jars your liver, putting tension on ligaments that go towards the diaphragm. Repeated stretching of ligament causes spasms. Instances increase if you inhale while landing on right foot. Runners adjust breathing pattern to eliminate this conflict. There is quit a bit of research out there on this. Nothing to be concerned about. It is frustrating and even more so when you try to time breathing. Lol.

I meant exhaling while landing on right foot.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking enough water, and not downing like 15 cans of soda a day, it could just be simply muscular. Does it only happen when you're working out? For me, sometimes, I get really bad gas pains that cause me to feel the same way. That or, a really terrible side stitch-- work on your breathing!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get cramps if I am not fully hydrated before my workout. I also tend to get them if I am running and don't have my abs engaged.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It's called a "side stitch". Jillian has addressed this before, and her trick worked like a charm. I used to get them and therefore didn't want to become a runner because I'd always get one.

It's a diaphram thing. Her trick is to EXHALE as your hit your left foot down when running, even if you have to push air out 2-3 foot strikes, then inhale and repeat. I know it sounds strange, but there really was a scientific reason for it, though it now escapes me. But it really, really works!!
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yes, exhaling with right foot strike causes them,
  • e_NV_y
    Options
    If you are drinking enough water, and not downing like 15 cans of soda a day, it could just be simply muscular. Does it only happen when you're working out? For me, sometimes, I get really bad gas pains that cause me to feel the same way. That or, a really terrible side stitch-- work on your breathing!

dont drink soda.. at all actually.. just coffee in the am.. and water. thats it. and yes its only when I work out.. and just started this week. and I have been working out months. but I did just start the C25k (on the 2nd week).
  • e_NV_y
    Options
    Yes, exhaling with right foot strike causes them,

I will need to focus on this.. who would of know how you exhale with walking (running) does this.. thank you!! :)
  • e_NV_y
    Options
    It's called a "side stitch". Jillian has addressed this before, and her trick worked like a charm. I used to get them and therefore didn't want to become a runner because I'd always get one.

It's a diaphram thing. Her trick is to EXHALE as your hit your left foot down when running, even if you have to push air out 2-3 foot strikes, then inhale and repeat. I know it sounds strange, but there really was a scientific reason for it, though it now escapes me. But it really, really works!!

THANK YOU!