MFP and Pregnancy

Options

Replies

• jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hello! and congratulations! I'm currently almost 8 months and I've been using MFP since March 1st of last year. I've gained almost 20 and MFP has totally helped. While I slip up, MFP helped me to lose about 20 pounds pre-baby and I know it'll be there as soon as I have her. There are tons of groups on here for expecting moms. We even have one that crosses over to Facebook.
    As far as gaining weight, you will gain weight, you should expect to gain between 25-35 pounds but a lot of that is fluid and baby. Maitenance the first trimester and then after that 200-300 extra calories. Good luck and congrats again!
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to gain weight (as in extra fat on you) during pregnancy thats just pigging out. You do not need to eat any more until the last 3 months where you should eat 300 cals more only. A bunch of cells that small doesnt actually take any cals from you at all really despite what people thing thats how people gain like 8 stone on a pregnancy ..

Your weight will go up but when you have your baby there is no reason why you cant be pretty much the same weight as before your pregnancy. My mother actulaly lost 7lb from start to finish!

Actually, women of average weight do need to gain fat (called maternal fat stores) when pregnant. It's considered necessary because of the need for extra calories for breastfeeding, among other things.

You also don't need to eat more only in the last three months. Most doctors will tell you that you should be upping your calorie intake starting in the second trimester.

And as far as staying the same weight when you're pregnant or even losing weight, that should *never* be a goal for anyone, unless they are morbidly obese and their doctor has given them that advice. By trying to maintain your weight while pregnant you risk all kinds of issues for your baby, including pre-term labor and miscarriage.

Yes, you should certainly NOT try to stay at the same weight. It's simply not safe, particularly when you at a decent weight to begin with. The only time I have EVER heard of a woman actually losing weight is when there is extreme illness or if the woman is extremely overweight before pregnancy. It should never be a goal in pregnancy to lose weight, don't go nuts but understand that the fats are good for that brain development
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

Indeed! No need to leave MFP! Join us! :happy:

For the record - you do need extra calories after first trimester and it's expected and good for the baby to gain weight using pregnancy. And there's nothing wrong with having cncerns about weight gain and wanting to stay fit during pregnancy. Everything else is bunk.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    And keep in mind that all the stuff you read and what people tell you are guidelines. People don't all gain according to the book, and if you don't, that's okay. Stay active. And HUGE Congrats!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    My advice might not be good and I was not on MFP while pregnant.

BUT, I feel some women gain a lot in pregnancies and others do not. I am one that gains 50-60lbs/baby!! yes, i have done this SIX times. Every pregnancy I swore that I would not gain that much and then, BOOM, 2nd trimester hit and I was gaining 2lbs/week. That means that I was eating an extra 7000 calories per week!! And, I can promise you that I was not.

My main concern was to make sure tha the baby got what he needed. Like you said, just mentally keep track of how you are doing...or if you choose to track on here, I would not overly worry about the calories. Do what your body tells you to do.

My babies were all 9-9.5lbs. I always lost the weight after each child....yes, the last kid was harder, but I was 39! I breastfed and I swear that is like liposuction!!

Anyway, congrats on your pregnancy...what a wonderful gift to have that child growing in your body!!!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!

Maybe continue logging with just a pencil and paper. Rather than worrying about calories, you can look back at your days and try to assess the overall nutritional value of what you put in your mouth. Seeing the facts in black and while is powerful.
  • sninny
    sninny Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump for future reference. :smile:
  • jameejune
    jameejune Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant with my first child, it was the best feeling ever! For the first time in my life, I didn't have to worry about losing weight. It was also the first time in my life that I was 100% dedicated to being healthy. Somehow, I was able to stick to healthy habits for my baby's sake even though I struggled doing it just for myself. Focus on being healthy, not the weight gain. If MFP helps you keep your focus on healthy eating and exercise, then stick with it. If it stresses you out, take a break. Stress is one of the worst things for your little one.

I'm currently 10 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child and I'm using MFP and I'm finding it extremely helpful. Many women just think that they can eat whatever they want because they are pregnant and end up gain 40-60 lbs. While some weight gain is necessary, you don't need to gain excessive amounts. Talk to your doctor about how much you should be eating and then try to stick to that, but don't beat yourself up. If you can only keep down carbs, then eat carbs. You need food.

Most of all, try to enjoy it. Once the first trimester is over, it'll probably get easier and once you start feeling that baby move, it'll be wonderful. Good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I just had my third baby a little less than three month ago. I didn't use MFP at all during my pregnancy. I ate a ton (after the morning sickness was over) and it wasn't super healthy for a lot of it. Morning sickness made it impossible to eat anything but carbs and even water made me sick, so I drank a lot of soda. Then, we lived in a hotel for 6 weeks while we waited to close on our house, then it took a while before we had appliances. So, lots of frozen foods and restaurant meals. But, I only gained 15 pounds.

You cannot freak out about gaining weight. It's going to happen and it needs to. I actually feel a little guilty that I only gained 15 pounds last time because my baby was the smallest of my three, which isn't really normal for a third baby. That was a big surprise for everyone though, I'd been measuring 2 1/2 weeks ahead for my entire third trimester. Even my doctor expected her to be about 8.5 pounds, and she ended up being 7 pounds 5.2 ounces.

So, you have to gain weight. Try eating at your maintenance amount and see how you feel. If you aren't that hungry in the beginning it's not a big deal. Once you hit 20 weeks you should start eating an extra 300 calories a day. But, definitely listen to your body. If you feel hungry, eat. Don't restrict yourself too much because your body needs all the nutrition it can get. Just make sure you eat healthy foods most of the time. Give in to some cravings. If you don't, they'll drive you crazy. My rule is that if I crave something I won't make a special trip to get it. If I have a craving I'll wait until the next time I go grocery shopping. If I still crave the food, I'll get it. About 75% of the time the craving went away. The rest of the time I got whatever food I was wanting.

Feel free to add me if you want. I've been through this three times now and I've figured out good ways to keep my weight under control without going crazy and without depriving myself.
  • JOEYJACKMOM
    Options
    Congratulations! I am a childbirth instructor, I teach a twelve week class. Nutrition is a HUGE component of a healthy pregnancy. All of the mothers in my classes keep track of everything they eat and turn it in to me for review each week. I am looking for a balanced diet, vegetables, protein (you need 80 - 100 grams / day), and water intake (1/2 of your weight in ounces everyday). I think MFP is a great place to log your food and make sure you are getting everything you and your baby need to have a happy and healthy pregnancy.
  • slightlycrunchy
    slightlycrunchy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am a childbirth instructor, I teach a twelve week class. Nutrition is a HUGE component of a healthy pregnancy. All of the mothers in my classes keep track of everything they eat and turn it in to me for review each week. I am looking for a balanced diet, vegetables, protein (you need 80 - 100 grams / day), and water intake (1/2 of your weight in ounces everyday). I think MFP is a great place to log your food and make sure you are getting everything you and your baby need to have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

That's a lot of water! If someone is heavy to begin with, and they are drinking half their weight in water, I'd be worried about over hydration and the effect it could have on their potassium and sodium levels in water.

But definitely make sure you get plenty of protein!
  • nrgott
    nrgott Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses, everyone! I truly cherish all of your advice, it helps a lot.

I'm definitely not planning on just eating whatever I want...I try to eat fairly clean already (not a lot of processed foods/meat, low sodium, etc) so I hope to continue that. The thing I have been craving most so far is pickles! I definitely want to make sure I am eating healthy for my baby, and I know that I shouldn't expect to lose weight or even stay the same. Hearing some of your success stories about gaining during pregnancy and then losing afterward makes me feel much better!

I think I may try using MFP just to keep basic track of what I'm eating but I'm not going to stress myself out about it. Thanks again for all of your honest and helpful advice!
  • Arianaml
    Arianaml Posts: 8
    Options
    Just a suggestion...if you go to your "goals" page "your diet profile" shows how many calories you burn through normal daily activity...you could use this as a baseline, then do some research as to how many extra calories you should be taking in per how far along you are in your pregnancy and adjust your goals through the "custom" setting by putting in how ever many calories you need at that time. You could also adjust amounts of protein, etc. depending on how much is recommended during pregnancy. MFP could be a good tool right now to make sure you're getting the nutrition you need!
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I don't know about leaving or not, but I would definitely get advice from a doctor specifically regarding calories if you plan to track them.

There is a lot of conflicting and generally dodgy word-of-mouth advice around here, and it is hard to steer clear of.

Congratulations, and best of luck to you (both <3)
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! We have been TTC our first child since late last year. I must admit I am a little nervous about losing weight only to gain it right back. However, I feel more confident about it since I have completely changed my lifestyle. I know what I should/should not be eating and plan to stay on this site to continue to track calories & eat correctly. Feel free to add me if you'd like support.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I strongly suggest you ask your doctor how much they'd like you to gain overall, discuss with them the work you've done losing weight, counting calories, etc, and ask them how many more calories they'd advise you to add to what you currently eat. As long as they don't see any problems, a moderate gain can be perfectly healthy, especially if you're on the border of being overweight.
  • JOEYJACKMOM
    Options

That's a lot of water! If someone is heavy to begin with, and they are drinking half their weight in water, I'd be worried about over hydration and the effect it could have on their potassium and sodium levels in water.

But definitely make sure you get plenty of protein!

It is not that much water when you consider the increase in blood volume and the extra water necessary to support the growth of an additional person and the amniotic fluid. Over hydration is very rare and even more rare during pregnancy, where as dehydration is very common during pregnancy.

The pickle craving is your body's way of letting you know that it needs more sodium to increase your blood volume and production of amniotic fluid. A good rule of thumb during pregnancy is "salt to taste."
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't dump MFP!! It is the perfect place to make sure you are getting your nutritional and calorie requirements. Reset it to track iron and calcium. Since pregnant women need more. Keep up that exercise. Just make sure you get an ok from your doctor to keep it up and know your limits. My biggest mistake during pregnancy was not to exercise. Congratulations and good luck!
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Holy moly, congrats!!! I'm 9 weeks pregnant also and hopped on this morning looking for support! I say definitely DON'T dump MFP! I hadn't even heard of MFP when I was pregnant with my first and was seriously out of control, I gained 60 pounds with her and after 2 years, I found MFP and just got the weight off about 6 months ago now I'm pregnant again! From about 6 weeks until now I was sort of MIA but now I'm back with a clear head and determined to keep the weight gain to a minimum. As far as the calories go, I put in to maintain my current weight then manually added an extra 300 calories, which is what you need during pregnancy. Im still weighing regularly and have picked back up at the gym and it really has made a difference. Feel free to add me as a friend!!
  • divatigs
    divatigs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for ideas to slow down my pregnancy weight gain. I am 25 weeks pregnant. I workout a minimum of 6 days a week (usually 7), I eat approximately 1800 calories a day of the right food (fruits, veggies, light protein, light carbs...so I'm technically doing everything "right", yet.....here I sit already gaining 30 pounds? It's so frustratining...I gained 70 pounds with my first child and didn't workout or watch what I eat and this time....10 years later I'm working my butt off, my look like one of the pregnant women who just don't care....help?