Leafy green recipes and ideas needed!

Amoravy
Amoravy Posts: 86 Member
I am trying to add more veggies to my diet.

I am tired of always eating aspargus: Olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper
I do love spinach and eat it frequently.

I need delicious ideas with other veggies! Can be a side, snack, or a full vegetarian meal. Any suggestions are helpful.

Replies

• Amoravy
    and I meant cruciferous (haha! thanks Google!)
  • mom2five69
    mom2five69 Posts: 18 Member
    Kale soup is delicious. You can also take leeks and make them scalloped like potatoes. I will post recipes tomorrow.
  • cngeike
    cngeike Posts: 305 Member
    Do you like smoothie's? In the mornings, I put .5 cups of spinach, a banana, soy milk, yougurt, an berries of some sort in the blender.

Zuchini is good with onions and some olive oil an salt and pepper.

How about a nice garden salad with avacado cut up in it and some vinegrette?
  • I stir fry everything. put little oil and salt.
  • Amoravy
    Kale soup is delicious. You can also take leeks and make them scalloped like potatoes. I will post recipes tomorrow.

Kale soup? Interesting. I saw one at Whole Foods that I wanted to try.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
  • Rivka007
    Rivka007 Posts: 26 Member
    I've started sauteing green veggies in a little bit of Nutiva coconut oil - gives them a nice nutty flavor and I don't add any salt or other seasonings. So far I've done it with spinach, broccoli, green beans, and Power greens (come in a bag, mixture of kale, spinach, red chard).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I am a huge fan of collard greens. I like to chop them finely and add to spaghetti sauce, soups and rice dishes (especially bean and rice dishes). They are also really good chopped coarsely and sauted in olive oil and garlic. Remove from the heat as soon as they get bright green so as not to destory all the nutrients.

Just about any greens can be used in this way - kale, turnip, beet, mustard, chard, etc. Collards are just my personal favorite.

Arugula is another favorite though it's very delicate like spinach. I love to make a shrimp stir fry and stir in baby arugula just after you remove from the heat. The heat from the food is enough to wilt the green without making it to limp and slimy.

Soft greens like arugula and spinach make really good pestos as well.
  • Amoravy
    I am a huge fan of collard greens. I like to chop them finely and add to spaghetti sauce, soups and rice dishes (especially bean and rice dishes). They are also really good chopped coarsely and sauted in olive oil and garlic. Remove from the heat as soon as they get bright green so as not to destory all the nutrients.

Just about any greens can be used in this way - kale, turnip, beet, mustard, chard, etc. Collards are just my personal favorite.

Arugula is another favorite though it's very delicate like spinach. I love to make a shrimp stir fry and stir in baby arugula just after you remove from the heat. The heat from the food is enough to wilt the green without making it to limp and slimy.

Soft greens like arugula and spinach make really good pestos as well.

Sounds good! My dad grows his own collards and I don't really know what to do with them