Myfitnesspal vs. LoseIt....

Options
Hello everyone. I just joined Myfitnesspal. I was doing Loseit and someone at my job told me about this site. Does anyone
know the difference between these two sites. I am liking myfitnesspal. I love the food scanner. Loseit doesn't have that.. But I did
notice the calories are a little differnet than each others... Anyon try Loseit before and switched over here??? What are you weight lose results??? THanks Issy

Replies

• juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I tried LoseIt first... the database here is much larger. Partially because many items are member submitted - so just keep that in mind. I started in February and am down 30 pounds.
  • hokiecow
    hokiecow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lose it! might not have a more robust food database but it has a much better AND fast interface. The noble app does not require a data connection and it's easier to add foods. For someone like me who eats leftovers, I can easily add last nights meal for breakfast the next day.

For me, Lose it! is the better app / website.
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I still track on LoseIt, then just quick enter the calories on MFP each day. It's where all of my data had been entered for weeks, and didn't want to lose that.

Plus, I feel like entering food is easier. The calories on it, VS the calories MFP gave me had a difference of like 400 calories. (Both I calculated at 2 lb weight loss per week, with sedentary as my activity level) This is because I only like to eat more calories on days I work out.

I do much better at the higher calorie level (around 1680 on Lose it) than the level MFP had given me (1300)..if I have 100 lbs to lose still (after 49 lbs); and would already be eating only 1300 calories, I'd hate to see what it says when I'm at 40 more lbs to lose.

Last week I went by MFP goals, and I didn't lose a pound...so I switched back to the higher calories of LoseIt, and lost another 3 lbs. I then manually changed my goals on here.

I like the forums and members on MFP; however, LoseIt App is very well done, and very handy.
  • TwoSpirits
    TwoSpirits Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    LoseIt! looks really good for phone purposes, but I can't believe how much space it takes up on your phone...14M, according to the Android Market page. That would drain what storage I have left. I love MFP though very much. And I don't have a problem getting on my laptop everyday throughout the day to record my stats and interact with my friends on my profile.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I tried Losit first, but when I looked things up, their database just wasn't as good as MFP's. So here I be~!
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just took a look at Loseit and found that their app isn't available in my country. MFP for me then.
  • 2gorjus
    Options
    There is very little difference but I like myfitnesspal batter because it is so easy to insert what you plan to eat, then if it is too much, you can easily remove it. I think it is just what you get used to.
  • freetob
    Options
    I signed on to both Lose It and MFP .. and despite inserting the same weight, height and activity level,
    MFP calculates intake at 300 calories less a day ... Does anyone know why ? or which app may be more accurate ?
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just went and got an account at Loseit. It gives me more calories and allows me to eat more if I exercise but I had a harder time figuring out what I ate in the database.....I think I like this site better. I may do both for a few days and compare. I will definitely stay here. I've had this account for a long time.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I used Loseit.com for about half of my wieght loss (first 15 lbs). I moved to MFP for the larger food data base. BTW, Loseit does, indeed have a barcode scanner. I think the difference in calories is just that Lose it uses TDEE method and MFP uses a different calculation.

When I came to MFP I was eating 1510 calories on Loseit and losing weight. MFP set me at 1200 calories and I knew that would never work for me. I quickly found out how to change my goals and upped my calories back to 1500.

The thing I liked about Loseit over MFP was the daily and weekly charts are much better and you could see any banked calories over a week's time. That said, MFP makes it much easier to chart macros and that enabled me to get off my HBP meds by easily tracking sodium. I guess the best program is the one you'll use. Either one works--just depends on what specifics work for you.
  • kabertrand63
    kabertrand63 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just today started LoseIt. The food database is verified by the food manufacturers so it's more accurate as MFP uses mainly user submitted data and it's inaccurate most of the time. Using the scanner on both is more accurate. Think I'm going to try LoseIt for a while now...
  • kabertrand63
    Options
    I just today started LoseIt. The food database is verified by the food manufacturers so it's more accurate as MFP uses mainly user submitted data and it's inaccurate most of the time. Using the scanner on both is more accurate. Think I'm going to try LoseIt for a while now...

Ok, never mind! Did LoseIt for a day and the database is too limited and I'm having to manually enter most things! I like the layout of the food entry screen much better, it's cleaner but it's just not functional. Back to MFP!
  • kabertrand63
    Options

Ok, never mind! Did LoseIt for a day and the database is too limited and I'm having to manually enter most things! I like the layout of the food entry screen much better, it's cleaner but it's just not functional. Back to MFP!

I decided yesterday to give LoseIt a try again. I love the entry screens, no pop-ups/ads, just a nicer site. Also, most foods are verified by the manufacturer rather than relying on the community to enter things correctly (which can be sometimes way off on MFP). So...I'm finding the database is better, not sure if they've updated it. See ya (for a while). :)
  • dan1971drum
    dan1971drum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to track,the best app for regular use is caloriecount.about.com. There issue is a terrible database. My suspicion is that it is British, as it is part of about.com. Maybe it does not see the same foods with the scanner? It is wonderful to add details, and medical issues (HBP or cholesterol) and have you diet adjusted accordingly.

If you are going for strictly nutrients, then I highly-recommend nutritiondata.com. There is nothing better to attack your health problems with food. However, it is absolutely the most inconvenient application ever. You will spend at least an hour of your day entering ingredients. I just cannot do it, as I do not make my own foods. I know ..I know, but the truth is, if it does not cook in a microwave ...I do not eat it. I am up at 4:30a, leave work at 5:30p, at the gym at 6p, finish workout at 8p, home for dinner & finish by 9p, fall asleep at 10p.

Now if someone would tell me how to link digifit (irunner) to MFP (it says I am linked) then I would prefer to stay here. However, I click on "share" after a nice walk using irunner & push Loseit & it is in my exercise totals for the day are added to the loseit app..
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I have tried both, and I just prefer MFP. It's easier to understand, the forums are more fun, and the database can't be beat.
  • Cindyf1t
    Cindyf1t Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been on NOT for two months. I have lost 10 pounds. I like how easy it is to use and the fact that I can add my own recipes and plan ahead. I also like the fact it gives you extra calories to use IF you exercise IF you want to. I have not used LoseIt but will compare them after I reach my goal.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I switched to tracking at LoseIt a few weeks ago. The database is much less fleshed out but in a way it's good-- it makes you manually enter your food and not rely on user-created entries that may not be correct. I like the interface and the lack of ads and the mobile app. The forums are slow and stupider, though.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I track on LoseIt, having found it before MFP. I like a lot of its functionality. It does have a barcode scanner which works well. It doesn't have an activity level setting, but I have found that its default (somewhat near lightly active I believe) works well for me. I agree that it's food database isn't as good as MFP's, but the lack of user entered foods does help avoid confusion. The forums are not nearly as lively and interesting as MFP, which is why I post here.

I've considered switching to MFP for tracking, but have decided against it since I've got 3+ years of foods, recipes, and exercises entered into LI, plus the fact that it has worked well for me to lose and maintain.