What Time do you stop eating by?

Options
What time do you stop eating & what time do you go to sleep?
Have you found weight loss success with not eating late or what is your reasoning for stopping at a certain time?

Replies

• DreamersWifey
    DreamersWifey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Personally I was a night eater...hubby get home after midnight & we would eat dinner together & chill out untill about 3am then go to sleep ...now I eat dinner early & don't eat after like 7-8 pm
    But I still go to bed at 2-3am
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat dinner with the kids at 5-6 but most of the time eat at about 8-9 and go to bed at 10.30 unless I start watching family guy then 12pm.

I've heard many times that it doesn't matter what time of day you eat and that all that matters is you don't go over your cals.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Um i dont pay attention to when my last meal is because you need proteins through ur night (6-8hrs of starving... Not good) for ur muscles to recover...

6 meals a day... If my last is at 10pm.. Good i my last is at 1am.. Good... Lol
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry, whatever time that is. Since I started on the weight loss journey I've always budgeted a late-night snack because I found I'd overeat late if I didn't leave some Calories for midnight. Now 9 months in I've gotten to be less rigorous about that and moved to the 'eat when I'm hungry' - even if that snack causes me to go over a bit for the day. In that case, it probably means I estimated something wrong that day anyway.

Seems to be working so far.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever the **** I want to. Doesn't make a difference.
    Calories in versus calories out.
  • DreamersWifey
    DreamersWifey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good advice guys!
    I might start planning a midnight snack
    Into my calories! I can never finish them all & I breastfeed
    So I'm glad I asked you guy :)
    Thanks!
  • TrinNZ
    TrinNZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I read an interesting article recently by a Kinesiologist who suggested it's actually better to have a light snack with protein (say a serving of low fat greek yoghurt) a little before bed. He said that if you fast too long overnight your metabolism slows down, but if you eat 5-6 small meals a day, including one before bed it helps keep your metabolism going.

This is great news for me because it's 11pm and I did a 2 hour workout tonight (burned TONNES of cals) and now i'm starving! hehe. A little something before bed isn't going to be a bad thing in my opinion. Like other people said it's more important what you are puttin into your body (food is fuel) and that you don't go over your daily calorie intake. Just make sure you aren't eating something super heavy before bed. Just a small meal. :o)
  • Clarimusic00
    Clarimusic00 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just try to give myself at least an hour or two before bed to digest unless its a small snack.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i just eat when i'm hungry. i've also been known to wake up in the middle of sleep and run to my fridge for a quick snack :laugh: i usually keep boiled egg, cherry tomatoes and fresh berries around just for that purpose. that way i can just wake up, open the fridge and grab stuff.

i think i might even start pre-making a 3 AM snack plate so i dont have to fish around
  • harrydresden
    Options
    There isn't a time I adhere to; I simply don't go over calories. There's little more to it than that. I nearly always have a snack right before bed, generally because I am hungry before bed, so I eat. If I didn't, I would be well under calories most days.
  • psychopiglet
    psychopiglet Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set pattern, but it really depends on what time I am working. The shifts at my work are Mon-sat: 06:20-13:20, 06:30-13:30, 06:40-13:40, 07:30-14:30(09:00-16:00 on fri), 12:40-19:40(14:00-21:00 on fri), 13:00-20:00 and 15:30-22:30 and on Sundays: 07:20-14:20, 08:00-16:00, 10:30-19:30 and 14:00-22:00.

So obviously, depending on which one of those I'm working I can start and finish eating at very different times! lol
  • Roxie861
    Roxie861 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Personally I finish work at 7pm so don't get home until 8pm- so my meals are generall eaten by 9pm but I make sure is always a very light dinner!

Last night for example I had a cheese omlette.

Hasn't made a really big difference to my weight loss to be honest but then again I'm a newbie ;)
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    It depends if Im' working, I work 4 evenings a week and on those days I have to eat my dinner at around 3.30pm and don't get another chance to eat till around 10.30pm - that's 7 hours without food and then I'm going to sleep, so I'd be starving in the morning. So on those nights, I plan a light snack for when I get home, just to keep me ticking over, then I'm fine till breakfast. If Im' not working, I don't tend to eat after about 8-8.30pm, because I'm better able to spread my meals out.

I'm have a week off work next week, so there'll be no late night snacking for a week. I'll be interested to see if it has any effect on my results (which have been great so far!).

18176012.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Get_Me_Fit
    Options
    I dont normally set a time to eat, but i try to not eat after 7. Now reading this, i dont think it matters though. I heard that if you stop by 7 or 8, it allows your body to digest. But its 1am here and im SO hungry. :p
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have my tea about 5:30pm on average.

However, when I go to sleep varies depending on what season I'm in. Summer it could be as early as7pm, and Winter 1am. I find that if I eat too late, I can't sleep, and sleep is important to me!

In winter, with the later nights, I might have a snack of olives and sun dried tomatoes or boiled eggs about 8ish.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I dont really have a set time I stop eating at. I typically endup stop eating atleast an hour before I hit the bed though. My stomach doesnt really know what time of day it is so I get to eat whenever I want
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If I haven't eaten in 3 hours then I eat, regarless of the time or how close it is to when I go to bed. Granted what I would eat at 10.30 PM is a light snack, not a meal, I would still eat something to try to keep my blood sugars as level as possible.
  • DalexD
    DalexD Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I tend to not get hungry after 8ish at night. I haven't eaten in about 13 hours, but I'm not hungry just now and I'll eat when I am.
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i go to bed about half 9 but i usually have a protein shake or a snack at about 8, half 8 ish.
    gives my body something to recover on while im sleeping.
    if your going to bed at 3am and your trying to loose weight, try not to eat after midnight.
    when i was loosing weight i stopped eating about 3 hours before i went to bed.
    try different routines and see what works for you, there's no right or wrong answer (:
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I stop eating after 7pm and I go to bed around 11pm. Whenever I eat dinner early, even 6pm same bed time routine, I start losing weight. Now, I know many people will say otherwise, but I am just saying what worked for me and not eating after a certain hour - yes, like your grandma told you - will help you lose weight and it did help me.
    Everyone's different though, so please don't start bashing my comments. :)