Sprouted v traditional bread?

Options
enewsome2
enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
Why is sprouted better or worse than traditional bread?
I'm going to try it tonight, because I've heard a lot of people eat it on here.
How does it taste? How long does it last?

Replies

• regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump.....have wondered this myself.
  • Sunshiny2
    Sunshiny2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's delicious! I love me some Silver Hills bread. It's high in protein (some varieties) and soaking/sprouting the grains make them much easier to digest and use.
  • carlachristinewhite
    carlachristinewhite Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use Ezekiel sprouted, it is flourless and it makes you feel full easier, plus 2 slices is just 80 calories each. I love the cinnamon raisin one. Try it.
  • taylmarie
    taylmarie Posts: 161
    Options
    My family also eats the Ezekiel Sprouted breads. They do not last quite as long as a regular loaf of bread, no preservatives. It will last longer in the fridge. I happen to live about twenty miles from the manufacturer so in my store it is in the bread aisle, but I have heard that some stores carry it in the refrigerated section. They are high in fiber and low on the glycemic index. My understanding is that the grains in more processed, traditional bread are stripped of any nutritional value. By using live sprouted grains, the nutritional value is left in tact. Please don't quote me on this lol!!

The Cinnamon Raisin is delicious for a snack as well :)
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Sprouted means malt. That means that some of the starches are going to be broken down into sugars by the plant's enzymes (primarily alpha- and beta-amylase if you're interested). I'd suspect that would mean a higher glycemic index compared to other whole-grain breads.

BUT, it would also necessarily mean it was made with whole grains instead of the bleached, white stuff, so that's a plus.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I like the no salt Alvarado St. Bakery. You have to keep it in the freezer because it has not preservatives and goes bad quickly.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I buy Alvarado St. Bakery Eziekel sprouted Sourdough and it is delicious! I normally do not eat much in the ways of grains on a regular basis, but I will eat this once a week or so. Contrary to what the OP said above, it is very low glycemic. It is not soft at all, it needs to be toasted, usually I will make a panini type sandwich with it. It does last though, in the fridge, for a week at least. I love it.
  • enewsome2
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.
    I bought ezekiel with seasame seeds, and I really like it.
    However, I just keep it in the freezer and thaw for about 10-15 min, then toast.
    I didn't check this board, so I didn't know it was okay in the fridge.

I feel like it keeps me fuller longer than regular wheat, but it may just be a placebo effect...
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Honestly, not sure. I think it's less processed maybe? But what I do know is it is Deeeee-licious!

I get Silver Hills bread and because there are hardly any preservatives in it I keep it in the fridge otherwise it goes bad too fast on the counter.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I eat Ezekial bread all the time. It tastes the same as any other bread but it's so much better for ME. I eat gluten free. I'd recommend you try it. i keep mine in the freezer as it's expensive and I don't eat more than 3-4 slices a week.
  • YouKnowWhoThisIs
    Options
    I keep it in the fridge. I try to only very very lightly toast it cause I heard if you were to fully toast it you are taking some of the benefit away?
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Try Ezekiel's english muffins too... they are delish :heart:
  • melbellkid
    Options
    I do Trader Joes and Ezekiel and love them both-regular bread tastes so weird to me now! Most places you can purchase it in the frozen section and I usually just take off whatever I need for the day in the morning-it thaws fast or you can put it straight in the toaster frozen and it toasts perfectly.
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Those are the two I eat too...I eat some every day. They are so delicious and satisfying, and keep me full for forever. I just now finished eating a toasted sandwich on Ezekiel bread with hummus, mushrooms, and a veggie patty...it was sooooo good. The cinnamon raisin Ezekiel is really good with almond butter and bananas.

I do Trader Joes and Ezekiel and love them both-regular bread tastes so weird to me now! Most places you can purchase it in the frozen section and I usually just take off whatever I need for the day in the morning-it thaws fast or you can put it straight in the toaster frozen and it toasts perfectly.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love the bread and yes it can go bad easy. I'd keep it in the freezer if I bought two loaves.

Nina
  • Mission2Me
    Mission2Me Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    all grains and legumes contain phytates. phytic acid binds with different minerals preventing absorption in the intestines. it can cause deficiencies, allergies, stomach problems and bone loss. wheat , oats, soy and soy milk have the highest concentration. soaking destroys the phytates. fermenting properly does as well. sprouted grain breads and sourdough breads dont have any phytates. gluten is hard to digest. and ezekiel bread changed their formula and stated adding wheat gluten for some reason. but there are others that do not.
  • enewsome2
    Options
    Those are the two I eat too...I eat some every day. They are so delicious and satisfying, and keep me full for forever. I just now finished eating a toasted sandwich on Ezekiel bread with hummus, mushrooms, and a veggie patty...it was sooooo good. The cinnamon raisin Ezekiel is really good with almond butter and bananas.

I need to find the cinnamon raisin variety. Sounds freaking awesome!