Soreness after exercise

Options
Rae9911
Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
I started Monday going to the gym, I had a 45 min session with a PT and I have never felt so sore after as I do at the moment. I had been working out at home with DVD's but decided to change to the Gym to get more variety.

Two days later my shoulders and arms are still so sore that it really hurts to move my arms above chest height. Does anyone have any ideas for soreness and will it be like this everytime?

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is MOVE

and no it won't be every time but as you do different things that your body isn't adapted to, you'll be more sore than after doing the same thing for a while.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Your body will start getting used to it.
    your lactic acid tolerance will go up, and you won't hurt as bad after a month or so.

As far as recovery methods:
    Creatine helps me with soreness, might not work for everyone.
    I take contrast showers 60 seconds hot 60 seconds cold after hard workouts and that promotes blood flow.
    Foam rolling is another great one. Can't do much for shoulders but back/leg soreness can be reduced by foam rolling.
    Stretching.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If it's bothering you, get some muscle cream like Ben Gay or Aspercreme. In the future, remember to stretch the muscle before and especially after you work that muscle group. You may get sore the first few times to work that muscle until you build up some strength.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    If it's bothering you, get some muscle cream like Ben Gay or Aspercreme. In the future, remember to stretch the muscle before and especially after you work that muscle group. You may get sore the first few times to work that muscle until you build up some strength.

I like doing dynamic stretching as a warmup and save my static stretches for after.

Good call on the muscle cream though. I keep 3-4 different kinds on hand at all times, it's been a lifesaver for getting through workouts while sore.
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input will definitely take them on board. Must make sure I stretch after as I did not do that, the PT said after the workout that's it for today and walked off and being new to the gym forgot all about stretching. I will definitely make sure I stretch when I next go.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I started Monday going to the gym, I had a 45 min session with a PT and I have never felt so sore after as I do at the moment. I had been working out at home with DVD's but decided to change to the Gym to get more variety.

Two days later my shoulders and arms are still so sore that it really hurts to move my arms above chest height. Does anyone have any ideas for soreness and will it be like this everytime?

(DOMS) Delayed onset of muscle soreness which is where muscles will generally feel a bit stiff day after exercise but be in massive pain day after that.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Thanks for your input will definitely take them on board. Must make sure I stretch after as I did not do that, the PT said after the workout that's it for today and walked off and being new to the gym forgot all about stretching. I will definitely make sure I stretch when I next go.

This seems a bit off, any CPT should take you through a cooldown and stretching routine at the end of a workout.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

I like doing dynamic stretching as a warmup and save my static stretches for after.

Make sure you NEVER do static stretching before, it can actually reduce your performance.
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the same after the 30 day shred, and really dreading doing it today, as I am doing it everyday. I am so sore.

Did all the correct stretches before and after as per the dvd. Its just because I haven't done this for a wee while.

Definitely keep moving, if I sit for a while that's when it is worse so I just go for walks to 'loosen' up
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i sit in the sauna or hot tub, both are FAB!
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    I am feeling the same after the 30 day shred, and really dreading doing it today, as I am doing it everyday. I am so sore.

Did all the correct stretches before and after as per the dvd. Its just because I haven't done this for a wee while.

Definitely keep moving, if I sit for a while that's when it is worse so I just go for walks to 'loosen' up

You don't need to do the 30 day shred everyday (according to Jillian herself). Incorporate rest days into your routine.