Vegetarian and previously anaemic... Iron help!

Options
Hi Guys

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before...

I'm vegetarian and last time I went to the doctors I was anaemic (not sure if I am still or not to be honest).

I also find it hard to fulfill the iron requirements on my food diary.

Any suggestions for low calorie meals / snacks that are high in iron? I have brocolli and spring greens but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    First, take an iron supplement or at least a multi with iron in it.

Second, if you don't already, get yourself some cast iron pots and pans and use them.

I'm veg but not anemic, so I haven't thought too hard about this, but I do every day eat 6 squares of Green & Black's 85% cocoa dark chocolate (even people who don't normally like dark chocolate LOVE this one) and that has about 20% of the daily iron recommendations.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and also borderline anemic. Food that are high in iron are lentils, beans, cream of wheat, eggs, tofu, and spinach. I know there is more out there, which I am still trying to discover so that I can get my iron levels up and also so I can make sure I can donate blood every time. I wasn't able to give blood on Monday because I was just a smidge below the required number.

One thing to help with the absorption of iron, up your vitamin C. Citrus fruits, strawberries, broccoli, tomatoes are good to eat when eating iron rich foods. Also coffee and teas can reduce the absorption of non meat iron. I try to limit my coffee to just the mornings and eat iron rich foods throughout the day.

I have to make an effort to try and eat more iron rich foods because I am borderline anemic. I don't feel tired, but I know it would probably help me overall to get more through natural means and not through a pill.

Hope this helps.
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm not veggie, far from it ,but still seem to be anaemic - any ideas why that might be?
  • frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Iron supplements and handfuls of spinach!!
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    spinach - spinach - spinach!!!!!
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a daily dose of spinach thats the easiest thing to do coz you can have it in any form... there are a lot of green smoothie recipes around do look at them... but yes try and take supplements... they are a more immediate solution
    add tomato to your spinach or other iron rich things it helps body to absorb iron from food...
    All The Best
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and also borderline anemic. Food that are high in iron are lentils, beans, cream of wheat, eggs, tofu, and spinach. I know there is more out there, which I am still trying to discover so that I can get my iron levels up and also so I can make sure I can donate blood every time. I wasn't able to give blood on Monday because I was just a smidge below the required number.

One thing to help with the absorption of iron, up your vitamin C. Citrus fruits, strawberries, broccoli, tomatoes are good to eat when eating iron rich foods. Also coffee and teas can reduce the absorption of non meat iron. I try to limit my coffee to just the mornings and eat iron rich foods throughout the day.

I have to make an effort to try and eat more iron rich foods because I am borderline anemic. I don't feel tired, but I know it would probably help me overall to get more through natural means and not through a pill.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. The info about absorption is very helpful.
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm

That has a huge list of ways to get iron in a healthy way.
  • beachbumant_man
    beachbumant_man Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    after you have a meal with high iron.. broccoli, red meat, chicken, chick peas, lentils, heart, tongue, liver,

you shouldn't have red wine after a meal or tea/ coffee they will stop the absorption of iron into the blood..within the 1hour of the meal

spinach is good but will it will inhibit iron also..

are you from australia: weetbix is high in iron too :)
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    after a surgery in which I lost blood the Dr. instead of giving me blood had me eat a ton of spinach. I am un able to take iron supplements so this was the only way I could get enough. Eat lots and you should be able to bring it up. Put it in a smotthie fro breakfast or eggs if you eat them. A salad for lunch and maybe a wrap for dinner.
  • beachbumant_man
    beachbumant_man Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    also it will take your body 3 months about to get your iron level to a level..
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm also a vegetarian and have to be creative about iron intake.

Spinach, kale and collard greens are a tremendous source of iron. You can get really creative in terms of how you sneak it into food - one of my preferred methods is putting any and all of it in a lightly-cheesed egg dish.

Beans can be an excellent source of iron, as well as whole-wheat grains (though if you cook with these, it's best to buy them raw and soak them before preparing).

Of course, iron supplements can also help.

One non-food related thing you can do is get on an extended-cycle birth control pill, where you only have your period 4 times a year instead of 12. This can be a touchy subject for people, so I apologize if I stepped on any toes.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have been anemic during my last three pregnancies, and I also seem to have an aversion to meat while pregnant! Two things that helped me are Rainbow Light's food-based prenatal vitamins and stinging nettle infusions.
    You can order dried stinging nettle online from Mountain Rose Herbs or Amazon (or if you know anyone who has a Frontier wholesale account, they are pretty inexpensive from there.) A pound will last you about a month. To make an infusion, just put about a cup of the dried herb into a quart mason jar, boil water as you would for tea, and fill the jar to the top. Put the lid on, and let it sit for at least 4 hours or overnight. Strain and drink throughout the day (it will make about 3 cups).
    I will tell you that the taste may take some getting used to. Sort of like drinking spinach juice. You can add honey or other sweetener to it. Or I've heard that people add a bit of salt and butter to it for a savory drink. But for me, the difference in how I felt after about a week or so was enough to make me keep drinking it! :wink:
  • alderman59
    alderman59 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been anemic and also have low B12. I have a "fixed" breakfast during weekdays. M,W, F I have a serving of tuna, 1/3 cup celery ,1 tsp of salad dressing (you don't need mayo) on a toasted thin bun. T, TH I have scrambled eggs (1 egg, 1 egg white) and 2-3 cups of spinach (microwave for 1 minute) with a thin bagel. This provides lots of protein and iron as well as being very reasonable for calories.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have been anemic and also have low B12. I have a "fixed" breakfast during weekdays. M,W, F I have a serving of tuna, 1/3 cup celery ,1 tsp of salad dressing (you don't need mayo) on a toasted thin bun. T, TH I have scrambled eggs (1 egg, 1 egg white) and 2-3 cups of spinach (microwave for 1 minute) with a thin bagel. This provides lots of protein and iron as well as being very reasonable for calories.

Vegetarians don't eat tuna.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Dont rely on the iron shown on teh MFP database as a guide, by the way - many of the nutirients like vitamins aren't added, so it will be very understated.