Breakfast and/or sweet Quinoa recipes?

So i recently tried Quinoa due to all the recipes from everyone on here, i prepared it cooked in broth with broccoli and LOVED it. However i am now curious if it can be made in some sort of breakfast or dessert type meal? If so could any of you share pics or recipes?

Replies

• jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    This is good.... (www.ohsheglows.com)

High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad (Vegan & GF)

Yield: 2-3 as a main, 4-6 as a side.

Ingredients:

* 3/4 cup dry quinoa
    * 1 pint strawberries, sliced (2.5-3 cups)
    * 16 oz. fresh blueberries (1.5-2 cups)
    * 1 cup cherries, pitted and sliced
    * 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
    * 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    * 1 tbsp fresh lime juice (or lemon might work!)
    * Pinch of kosher salt
    * 1/2 cup almonds, chopped

Directions:

1. Cook quinoa according to package directions.
    2. Meanwhile, chop the fruit and place in a large bowl.
    3. Mix the dressing ingredients (maple syrup, balsamic, lime juice, salt) in a small jar and adjust to taste if necessary. Note: You may have to double the dressing recipe if your salad is quite large.
    4. Fluff cooked quinoa with a fork and add to large bowl with fruit. Combine. Pour on dressing and mix well. Serve immediately or chill in the fridge until serving time. Serves 2-3 as a main or 4-6 as a side. Or if you are reeeeally hungry 2 people!
  • thanks, i will give it a try soon.

ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE HAVE SOME IDEAS? something in the dessert area?
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    BUMP

I'm new to quinoa too, and would love some new recipes for it!!! I have a latin flavored recipe at home that I tried that was to die for if you are interested?!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    There are a lot of recipes for quinoa puddings out there. I really like this coconut quinoa pudding: http://www.sitesnbites.com/2011/09/26/coconut-quinoa-pudding/

Also this banana quinoa pudding: http://www.grouprecipes.com/50000/quinoa-and-banana-pudding.html

If you like baked oatmeal, you might like this, which is basically baked oats and quinoa with berries and nuts: http://www.joyofkosher.com/recipe/baked-quinoa-and-oatmeal/

Calories/serving will vary depending on amount and type of sweetener and type of liquid used (regular coconut milk, lite, regular milk v soy milk, etc), but just to give you a ballpark range:

The banana quinoa pudding, made with whole milk and 1/2 cup brown sugar has 218 calories per serving - 39g carbs, 5g fat, 6g protein, 3g fiber (it serves 6).

The coconut pudding made with goya regular coconut milk and white sugar works out to 230 calories per serving - 20g carbs, 15g fat, 5g protein, 1g fiber (serves 6).

I haven't gotten around to making the baked oatmeal & quinoa yet, so I don't have the nutritional info available, sorry!
  • i would love the recipe you have! turns out my daughter and my husband both liked it too so im on the hunt for any recipes i can find!
  • bump
  • misty2ann
    misty2ann Posts: 127
    Bump!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    If you google breakfast quinoa, a lot of recipes should come up.

Many of them have you cook the quinoa in at least part milk for some richness. Add cinnamon, dried berries, and some nuts and you're good to go.

I bet peanut butter would go good with it. Or maybe greek yogurt and honey.
  • i have done that and i found a few, but i would really like some to be shared here to get some honest opinions and tips on what to do to make it lower cal and such. Also im looking for more dessert recipes not JUST breakfast things and Google hasn't been as helpful with that. for example can you make cherry cobbler with quinoa or some sort of pie?
  • debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Bump love quinoa too!