Bra strap cutting into my shoulders

Options
Does anyone else have this problem? I have actual cuts on my shoulders from my bra strap. It started a couple of weeks ago. All my bras do it. Well all my sports bras do it. I'm pretty sure its the metal/plastic piece on the strap that allows adjustments that's cutting me. It's really painful. I'm thinking I might just need new bras but they are so expensive since I'm so top heavy. Any suggestions?

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going and getting properly sized and fitted. Yes they are expensive, but bad ones are horrible.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is a sign of a poorly fitted bra.

Me, I don't wear "bras"... I wear Coobies.
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is a sign of a poorly fitted bra.

Me, I don't wear "bras"... I wear Coobies.
    One size comfortably fits sizes 32A to 36C.
    Not so good if you're larger...

But yes, get some new bras. And make sure they're properly fitted.
  • DivaDiane
    DivaDiane Posts: 73
    Options
    Go get fitted for a good quality bra. Yes, they're expensive (my sports bra from Nordstrom was around $65) but SO worth it. The support does not come from the shoulder straps, but from the band and cups if it is fitted correctly. Run, do not walk, to a store near you for a fitting. I am very large in the cup and I don't even jiggle when I wear this bra.

If you do not live near a good quality lingerie store, do the best you can to figure out your size and order one online and make sure you know their return policy if your size is wrong. I love my Elomi Energise sports bra. Good luck to you. Your body and comfort are worth spending the money on a good bra.
  • Kai85
    Kai85 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    ouch! please get yourself fitted you won't regret it. I thought this post was referring to the indents from bra straps. I know lots of ladies with that and I try to prevent it. We'll see how it goes...
  • penroseg
    penroseg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My sports bras do not have any metal pieces. Ouch! I haven't found any that are supportive enough, yet comfortable enough to do everything that I do. My solution. I wear two sports bras and it really helps. I get mine from Target. I probably spent $20-25 on them. One day, when I'm closer to my goal, I'll buy nice ones, but there's no point when I won't be able to use them in a few months. I am a DD and the two bra trick works well for me.
  • alana23231
    Options
    I have had that problem. The first thing I did was loosen my straps. I had them entirely too tight to provide the extra support because I was very top heavy. Then I went and got myself properly fitted for the right size and type of bra. Unfortunately, for top heavy women, shopping at the retail outlets like Walmart, etc. doesn't work. Those bras do not provide the right amount of support. It is very expensive and couldn't really afford the right fit. I usually just wait for a good sale and stock up then. I finally went to the doctor and ended up having a reduction surgery done. I am still top heavy but my bras now fit better and I feel better about myself. Try getting fitted for the correct bra or go see your doctor about getting a possible lift or a reduction.
  • kitten41
    kitten41 Posts: 1
    Options
    omg! me too, I hate it so much... but your are correct the more expensive bras have more support and do help alot. I have indention's on my shoulders from the bra straps... :-(
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    My sports bras do not have any metal pieces. Ouch! I haven't found any that are supportive enough, yet comfortable enough to do everything that I do. My solution. I wear two sports bras and it really helps. I get mine from Target. I probably spent $20-25 on them. One day, when I'm closer to my goal, I'll buy nice ones, but there's no point when I won't be able to use them in a few months. I am a DD and the two bra trick works well for me.

I wear Nike Dri-Fit compression bras. I'm a 40E or 38F, depending on the bra. The Nike just barely contains the girls, but I am able to run with ZERO bouncing. I seriously didn't think that was possible!
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    justyourtypicalgirl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If they are cutting your shoulders, then the chest band is not fitted properly. I don't buy expensive sports bras. I get a decent under wire bra for lift and separation and then put a compression sports bra from target over that. it keeps me from having uniboob and keeps everything in place.
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    oh dear you definitely need a proper bra fitting by a specialty shop, I know they cost heaps but If you budget for it,
    I am sure you will be glad ,
    After all what price can you put on your health , and it will improve your appearance,
    if your bra fits better then your clothing looks better , and you will be feeing so much better its a win win ,
    just do it, :flowerforyou:
  • DivaDiane
    Options
    Posters are correct in that you cannot find a good bra at Walmart, Target, etc. Even their sports bras do not have the support you need. I couldn't even find one at higher-end department stores. I was lucky to be in a Dallas Nordstrom's (at the Galleria) during October (Breast Cancer Awareness Month), and the lingerie department was full of manufacturer's reps and salespeople. About four salesladies came into the fitting room and helped me. The bra I bought wasn't even in stock, I had to order it and have it shipped to me; but one of the ladies somehow knew that particular style would fit me. The size was smaller (band) than I thought I wore, and the cup was much bigger than I thought, also.

That is the key, correct band size and large enough cup so you do NOT spill over at all, nor jiggle. And, even though I have lost 15 lbs, the bra still fits and I hope it will for another 10 lbs. After that, it might be time for a smaller one. But, I"M WORTH IT.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Its probably the wrong size. Modell's sells good quality and inexpensive fitted sports bras that are all fabric. Probably your best bet
  • Kai85
    Kai85 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Do you really have to pay to get a bra fitting???? That's crazy! It's free here you (aus). You don't even have to buy the bras they recommend but I always do.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and try on bras :P
  • DivaDiane
    Options
    No, you don't have to pay for a bra fitting.
  • caramel1920
    caramel1920 Posts: 271
    Options
    I am a 44H and I have several sports bras, but the best one I have is from Enell, I purchased it from barenecessities.com, the best money I've ever spent! I intend on ordering another one next month. I too, have scars from bra straps that have cut into my shoulders, so I feel your pain. It's difficult doing plyometrics when you don't have the proper fit up top! Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:
  • MommaHoff
    MommaHoff Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with bra injuries. I sure don't want my shoulders to match my knees ( I have fallen twice in the last month and my knees are all scabbed and scared. I plan on going and getting fitted. The bras I have are probably 6 months to a year old. So have probably lost elasticity as well as me having lost weight. I have issues with chaffing under my breasts too. So a new bra is definatly going to be required. I have a half marathon in 4 weeks. And with what I have now I'd be bleeding by the end of it. I used to use some of the cheaper all fabric bras and wear 2-3 of them just for walking. But finally broke down and started buying some better ones. I don't care so much about the uniboob when I workout. I just don't want to be distracted by the pain the bras are giving me. So I plan on going and getting fitted in the next week or so and hopefully finding me the right bra just not sure where to go in Oklahoma.