Camping

Options
beskimoosh
beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
So, I'm going camping for the first time in just over a week, and I have no idea what to cook! Has anyone got any suggestions of low calorie meals? I try to keep my carbs low or I bloat, but apart from that I will eat pretty much anything haha.

We're going to try and get some local meat and things while we're there, but we're obviously taking some storecupboard things too.

Replies

• Darhep
    Darhep Posts: 25
    Options
    We camp as well and I have found that Tyson has grilled ready to eat chicken breast strips that can be prepared easily on a camp fire. The sandwich makers work well for this. Eggs work well to. Are you tent camping?
  • minnow54151
    minnow54151 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers, Hillshire farms & johnsonville have some really good chix or turkey sausages that are low fat & calorie, Grilled chicken breast, all veggies are great grilled, cut up fruit & veggies before you go & they will be a great thing to grab for snacking.
  • smbyrd13
    smbyrd13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When we camp, we obviously grill a lot. Chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs, etc. We also usually bring sandwich materials for lunches. Have fun!
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    I lovelovelove foil wrapped meals! Or shish kebabs! :D
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    Hobo meals for sure! aka foil wrapped meals. You could season some chicken or fish and add it with potatoes and vegetables and toss it on the fire. Easy and delicious.
  • chefabitino
    Options
    Hobo meals for sure! aka foil wrapped meals. You could season some chicken or fish and add it with potatoes and vegetables and toss it on the fire. Easy and delicious.

lol Hobo meals.... love that!

I agree, foil wrapped foods are quick, easy and can be prepared at home and even up to two days in advance. If acidy ingredients are included you can use parchment paper wrapping before foil... good luck on your camp trip.

PS: I leave in the morning fro camp as well for my son's birthday....he will be 13.....argggghh
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    In a tent for the first time ever! Eek!

Thanks for the ideas guys :smile:
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, meals with rice. That's all I got. :laugh:
  • DragonSkip
    DragonSkip Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    We grill when we camp of course! I generally have steak one day, chicken breasts one day, and sausages one day, and then repeat and add stuff if necessary. I take a arsenal of vegetables, wrap in the hobo foil wraps, and throw those next to the coals. Sandwich supplies and such for lunch so I can carry in a backpack. I haven't perfected breakfast yet, egg sandwiches, pop tarts, cereal, and muffins. Hiking is always part of camping for us, usually at least 4 hours and sometimes the trips are centered around some sort of activity like train riding, epic midnight bike rides, hikes we want to do etc.
  • Mrs_Padgett
    Mrs_Padgett Posts: 191 Member
    Options

We grill these all the time (camping and at home). My fave is onion, potatoes and jalapeno peppers than spray with no cal butter and add garlic. Yum :)
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    try this if it is not to much work for you:

Campfire Chicken Foil Packs

Ingredients
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
    2 onions, diced
    1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
    4 cloves garlic, sliced
    4 small potatoes, cubed
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 lemon, juiced

Directions
    1. In a large bowl, or a large zip-top bag, combine the chicken, onion, mushrooms, yellow pepper, red pepper, garlic, and potatoes. Pour in the olive oil and lemon juice, then mix well.
    2. Evenly divide the mixture between 4 large sheets of aluminum foil. Top each with another sheet of foil, and roll up the edges tightly. Wrap each packet again, securely in another sheet of foil to double wrap.
    3. Cook in the hot coals of a campfire until the chicken is opaque and the potatoes are tender, around 40 minutes.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options

^ You're going to love it! Be sure to have a headlamp, particularly if you are setting up camp in the dark.
    You might want to check out link below. Not sure if you are car camping (vs. backpacking), but there were some good ideas...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/433981-favorite-hiking-recipes-food?page=1#posts-6092058

ETA: Remember to read the rules about storage and disposal of food, :flowerforyou: particularly if you are in bear country...
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options

You will love it. There is something to be said about roughing it, Have fun and enjoy the outdoors
  • WanderingMe
    WanderingMe Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Others have all offered great ideas, so I just wanted to say have an amazing time! Camping is addicting!!!