I'm an old newbie

Options
Well, this is the first time I'm trying to lose weight with any seriousness. I'm 43, 5'4" and weigh 279 lbs. I am completely miserable, with joint pain and all that goes with being seriously overweight. I have no idea what the heck I'm doing, but this looks like a great support site. I've been looking for something like this to help me. I've had a gym membership for a few years now, and I think I only went a couple of times. I've been paying on it with the INTENTION of going, but haven't made it back. I'm seriously self conscious about lumbering around skinny people. Plus I'm not all that coordinated. I will go back, but it hurts me to walk right now, so I have to start slow in the exercise dept. Anyway, hi to all.:happy:

Replies

• trimlaw
    trimlaw Posts: 11
    Options
    welcome! No matter if you 10 or 100 pounds to lose, it's always hard to get started. just one day at a time and one foot in front of the other (especially for me as walking is my favorite exercise). :-)
  • juliep63
    juliep63 Posts: 84
    Options
    hi! it's never too late to start. I know how painful it can be, but hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. This site is awesome, you will love it here if you don't already. I :heart: it here. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you that I wish that you have great success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    we can all be 2nd first timers or so on,, the point is even if we keep coming back at least that means you have not given up.. that's the main thing,, :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    good luck...
  • nobleps
    nobleps Posts: 95
    Options
    Hi and welcome! This is a great place to get a head start with helpful ideas, journaling and others to encourage you. You are important! You need to take time for you!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Glad you joined our team!:smooched:
  • SpecialKay
    Options
    Well, this is the first time I'm trying to lose weight with any seriousness. I'm 43, 5'4" and weigh 279 lbs. I am completely miserable, with joint pain and all that goes with being seriously overweight. I have no idea what the heck I'm doing, but this looks like a great support site. I've been looking for something like this to help me. I've had a gym membership for a few years now, and I think I only went a couple of times. I've been paying on it with the INTENTION of going, but haven't made it back. I'm seriously self conscious about lumbering around skinny people. Plus I'm not all that coordinated. I will go back, but it hurts me to walk right now, so I have to start slow in the exercise dept. Anyway, hi to all.:happy:

:laugh: WOW you and I could be related half of what you just said I can honestly relate to. I am 43, also 5'4 I also have an unused gym membership. I started in May at my highest weight of 252 lbs. as of today I weigh 230 lbs. It is a hard road but YOU CAN DO IT!!!:happy: It is all about portion control and choosing the right foods, now it is time to start exercising. So don't beat yourself up about it, just take it day by day and you WILL DO IT!!
  • cyndijoy
    cyndijoy Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcomes. I know I'm in the right place now.:smile: