fake tan that doesn't smell nasty, any idea's?

Options
GymAnJuice
GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
hi guys, im after a fake tan that doesn't smell nasty or smell at all. i'v got zero colour pigmentation in my skin and always like a little fakery in the summer :glasses: so i don't stand out. im sure there's some out there that doesn't smell like cat's p** but i'v yet to come across one. any idea's, preferably one that isn't expensive - although i could always pick it up from ebay.
i'v just ordered l'oreal sublime bronze self tanning mist but just read you can't use it on your face :cry:
thank you in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Jergen's makes a tanning lotion and it's the best one I've ever used so far, I use it on my face as well and it doesn't smell or turn your skin that nasty orange color!
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    Would love to know this too!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Vote #2 for Jergens. I tan on my upper body too well, I get a farmers' tan just from walking outside at lunch. But I could coat my legs in deep tanning oil and lay out for hours and my legs won't do more than blush. (I know-I was stupid enough to try it). I use the Jergens when I want to wear a dress or something with a different neckline than my usual.

You can take a look at Makeup Alley for ideas too: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/searching.asp?CategoryID=17&brandname=&Brand=&title=&submit=Find+Products
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm very fair skinned and have had luck with the Jergen's as well.. One to avoid though, is the Neutrogena, that was horrible, no matter how well I tried to blend it I ended up with streaks and it looked very orange.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Here's my question about applying self tanners - I know I should exfoliate my skin in shower before applying. But should I also use my regular lotion/moisturizer before applying? I'm always worried that the lotion and self tanner will not react well with each other and I'll end up splotchy streaky. I haven't had good luck with self tanners in the past so not sure what I'm doing wrong?
  • kcalabama
    kcalabama Posts: 17
    Options
    Use any of the ones that builds up over time - like Jergen's or Oil of Olay ... those gradually change the color - won't turn your skin orange and don't have a smell :-)
  • kcalabama
    kcalabama Posts: 17
    Options
    You should put ALL these products on bare skin - and DO NOT put anything on over them or take a shower/bath for at least 8-12 hours.
  • sammywil
    sammywil Posts: 104
    Options
    St Tropez! I just love it!
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I LOVE L'Oreal Sublime Glow. The smell is ok to me, a little like green tea. But I love it because it's the only one that looks natural on my pale pale skin. It comes in fair, medium, and dark skin tones. I've tried the fair and medium, but the medium gets a bit unnaturally dark for me. The fair one builds up really gradually, and I actully get compliments on my skin tone in the summer! People think I "tan well" now, ha ha :) No streaking. And it's light enough and gradual enough that I use it on my face too. I tried the L'Oreal face one and it did not look good. I love the way my skin looks in the summer now!
  • sheinric13
    sheinric13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bareminerals faux tan. Love the smell and the color!
  • jumptothebeat
    jumptothebeat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm a natural blonde and Scottish = as pasty as they come! I'm au naturel in the winter, but in the summer I use St Tropez. The best smelling one I think and a nice colour.
  • ghottamale
    Options
    I'm a major fake tanner - Love it! I've used everything. So far the best faux tan is Bare Escentuals faux tan - and if you can find it with the tan brush get it - it works great. I have loss of pigmentation on my legs and this is the only product that covers it up, other tanners such as Lancome gel, Sublime by L'Oreal, Jergens make the loss of pigmentation stand out and you don't want that. I agree with someone else on this post, you need to exfoliate your whole body prior to applying the faux tan, it will stay longer. I also recommend applying lotion to your entire body around 4 hours later. Like all tanners though, if you work out within 24 hours of applying, the tan will run a little, but it doesn't remove the tan. Good Luck! Unfortunately QVC is out of the product - I check daily! : http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.A198471.desc.Bare-Escentuals-Bronzed-Buff-2pc-Faux-Tan-Buffing-Brush?&cookie=set
  • AmandaK3
    AmandaK3 Posts: 80
    Options
    I personally like Fake Bake the best. It gives me a nice golden color, like a nice slow natural tan. It's pretty expensive though, and can be tough to find locally (at least where I live).

My second choice is Jergens too. It's inexpensive, and goes on super easy. As far as the cheaper brands go it's as close to the "real" tan look as I've seen. ALMOST as good as Fake Bake.

I think if you're just wanting to go with a nice subtle glow then Jergens is a good bet, if you want really deep and rich try Fake Bake.
  • allie_girl
    Options
    All the good fake tanners will smell - DHA is what is used to color your skin in a good product, and despite putting a man on the moon, we haven't mastered how to make DHA not smell. Stuff stinks. Here are some good products to check out:

Mystic Tan products are usually a good bet (lotions, sprays, kits all great and found a sephora)
    Australian Gold - Duplicity (can be used for indoor tanning and maintenance).
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    thanks ladies, not sure which to get yet..think i'll see if i can have a little sniff in the shops of the ones suggested :drinker: