Hungry during a workout

Options
I have two questions:

1) How long does it take for your body to switch from using carbs as energy to using fat stores as energy? I've heard this switchover is when you get your "second wind".
1A) Bonus question: If you stop working out for a half hour and start back up again... does it try to burn carbs again?

2) I have noticed that lately, despite snacking in the afternoon before leaving work, that I am getting kind of hungry during my cardio. I don't feel overly faint or anything.. but I am noticing that I am hungry and wondering if this is a bad sign that I didn't eat the right amount or the right kind of food.

Thanks!

Replies

• celtsguy81
    celtsguy81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any insight to this? Seems like maybe it would be something for a personal trainer... but I figured there was probably a bunch on the board here.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I get hungry during workouts all the time. Usually I drink something with electrolytes during the workout and have a snack after. I add a nuun tablet to my water, or a few ounces of coconut water or vitamin water or gatorade or juice (about a 3-4:1 ratio of water to coconut water). This does the trick and have some energy to push through.