Veggies! Japanese food! Urban hikes!

Options
joytron
joytron Posts: 104 Member
Hi everybody!

I've been using this site for a couple of weeks and decided it was time to stop being a creepy lurker and to start making some friends.

I'm 30 and quit smoking about 6 months ago. This is essentially the first time in my adult life that I've had an appetite so I wanna go about it sensibly. I'm slowly discovering that things like calories and portion sizes are important -- had been rather blissfully unaware when inhaling 30+ appetite suppressants a day. ; ) (Yeah dudes I was a *heavy* smoker.)

So, some relevant details:

- A chick.
- Am 30.
- Canadian. Have been living in Tokyo for almost 6 years, working a (mostly) desk job that I love but that doesn't provide much opportunity for physical movement.
- A relatively recent ex-smoker
- Normally a crazy-heavy drinker but exploring a "less-is-more" philosophy lately.
- Have fluctuated between vegetarianism and pescetarianism for roughly 12 years; currently eat fish.
- Have got absolutely NO sweet tooth; you'd literally have to pay me to eat cake. The exception would be alcoholic beverages with "hidden sugars", i.e. beer.
- Primary weakness, however, is unhealthy carbs (white rice, stupid types of bread, too many potatoes, etc.), and salty things, and gloriously deep-fried things.
- That said I'm a healthy eater, and counting calories is less important to me than making sure they're "good" calories. I've seen some comments on these forums about "clean eating" and while I'm not 100% sure what that means I think it may apply. Not really interested in pre-packaged diet foods, for example. I like cooking and I like organic and I LOVE vegetables.
- BUT ON THE FLIPSIDE: I eat out heaps due to my job, my social life, and the city I live in. PROBLEMATIC. In fact, this has been the biggest problem I have noticed since starting on this site.
- Pretty much the only exercise I do THUS FAR is a fair amount of daily commute-related walking and some epic "urban hikes" on the weekend.
- Anyway!

TL;DR: I'm a pescetarian ex-pat in Tokyo who likes healthy food and doesn't exercise much and I wanna meet you.

Replies