Left over calories but not hungry?

Options
What do you do when you've already had dinner, it's getting late, and you still have calories left over but you're not hungry? Do you make yourself eat to fill in calories? Maybe carry them over to the next day? Or just leave it be?

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If i'm truly not hungry, I don't eat. Sometimes I'll have something sweet if I still have a small amount of hunger.

So it doesn't happen too often, try adding healthy fats like nuts, avocado, and coconut oil.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Why eat if you aren't hungry? I'm going to trust my body before a website and it's pre-set plan.
  • CallMeKara
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • Shan605
    Shan605 Posts: 41
    Options
    I make sure this doesnt happen by planning my meals out the night before. That way i can have a snack between lunch and dinner and use all my calories, carbs, fats and protein.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's ever happened to me - I struggle to stay under!

Firstly I'd ask if this happens all the time. If its a one off, no need to worry. If it's a recurring issue, you need to menu plan a bit more.

Secondly, I ask "by how much?" Given that everything you record that you are eating and burning is an estimate, apply a plus/minus 10%. If you're within that range, no worries. Way outside it? Rethink.

Thirdly, are you including exercise caloires? If so, remember the estimation warning. And also, not everyone feels the need to eat them all back.

Fourthly, have you consumed at least 1200 calories? This is a ball-park bottom line, and again, one day won't matter, but it's a good guideline to benchmark against.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    MFP tell me I should be eating 1680 calories a day. I'm usually around 1300 a day. If i'm hungry a few hours after my last meal i'll grab some carrots or a few mini wheats and i'm usually fine.
  • flcherrybomb
    Options
    I'm at a plateu and Im getting very frustrated . I'm trying my best to stay within calorie range and I never go over and most of the time I dont even use all my calories however I do go over on the protein around 10 -15. I didnt think too much protein was a bad thing actually your body needs more than what they say you are allowed but anyway not the reason for the post just need some pointers to get it all started again I work out at the gym on the ellipticals between 30 -45 min and also do any of you add more calories after working out it says you can have more but IM scared to. Any advice would be totally awesome.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Leave it be. There will be days when you over your limit so it will all average out over the week.
  • flcherrybomb
    Options
    well today I have planned my menu to where I even have protein left over so we will see what happens. My trainer at the gym told me to lay off carbs at night eat em at breakfast and after a workout as long as its not in the evening but thats it so Im trying that too. Thank you for replying :)
  • Cardiff_dave
    Cardiff_dave Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Once you take excercise into account, i can sometimes be 1000 under my daily target. As a one off, I'm led to believe this is ok but not 3 or 4 times a week (ie. the days I do a 10k run plus possibly a bike ride). On Tuesday this week I had a net calorie intake of 34, with 1706 remaining.

My understanding is that this isn't good for weight loss as your body starts freaking out about it. I'm more than happy to be corrected though!

More directly answering your question, I think you should probably be trying a little harder to get to the target, not leaving it until it's too late to do so - that's what I'm doing - on a run day I have purposely started eating more during the day so that I don't find, once I've had my evening meal, that I have 1000 left and not enough time to do anything about it. An easy win is a big breakfast, which is good for you anyway.

I have also been told time and time again that it is NOT cheating to "eat" most of the calories you've burned off during exercise - I share your reluctance to do so, it almost seems counter intuitive, but it has finally got through to me that you should be at least approaching the net target.

Having said that these are my shortfalls for the last 9 days - 500,1706,485,421,120,691,681,150,1333. Hopeless - 500 seems fine but anymore is silly.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal and how many are left over?