Coconut oil in coffee??

Options
How?

Ok I tried it and I'd like to keep trying but I don't really like how the oil sits on the top. For those of you who do it, how do you do your coffee?
TIA

Replies

• debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't put it right in my coffee. I put it in my oatmeal and/or my smoothie in the morning and use it in cooking. I think some folks just put it right in their coffee and don't put anything else in there or make it just the way they usually do.....
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've also just started doing this but having it in herbal tea. I think you'll just need to make sure the coffee isn't boiling hot when you drink it or you could burn your lips.
    Other than that, I don't have much advice.... I just drink the oil as it comes. Don't think there is any other way but hopefully a few experts will respond to your thread! :wink:
  • keepnpace
    Options
    I know the thought of the oily coffee is kinda gross, but try and stir it a little before each sip, it helps a little. If it helps at all there is a bonus to oily coffee, your lips will be nice and smooth after drinking it :)
  • butiflfeet
    Options
    I don't mind it so much in my coffee, I just try not to think about it too much! But I find its much easier for me to take if I mix it in oatmeal or spread it on toast with some jam. I don't know how people eat it off of a spoon. The thought of it makes me gag!
  • puppycloud
    Options
    Isn't coconut oil like the worst plant oil? It's full of saturated fat and everywhere I've read says this is the worst you can eat.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Actually coconut oil is good for you. All oil has saturated fat.

Health Benefits:

The health benefits of coconut oil include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. These benefits of coconut oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, soothing, etc.
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I know the thought of the oily coffee is kinda gross, but try and stir it a little before each sip, it helps a little. If it helps at all there is a bonus to oily coffee, your lips will be nice and smooth after drinking it :)

This! I always keep a spoon in my coffee and and constantly stir it.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance, but why would you do this? I don't really like the idea of sticking saturated fat directly into something I drink.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Very healthy oil but where did you all get the idea to put it in your coffee???? I would never have dreamt of any healthy oil "olive" or others in my coffee! I love it tossed on my hot veggies! Stay healthy all....
  • Veganlover
    Options
    I put some in my green tea ^_^
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Google Bullet Proof Coffee.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    it's also recommended if you have an under active thyroid as the main oil to use
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Isn't coconut oil like the worst plant oil? It's full of saturated fat and everywhere I've read says this is the worst you can eat.

It's one of those things that some people say one thing, and others say another. Rosemary Stanton always said it's bad and I trust her, so I'm with you. ;p
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat is not eveil in and of itself. It is nessesary in many ways and should be viewed in terms of a total deitary and exercise program. Cocnut Oil itself is thought of as a supper food. It contains medium chain fatty acids as well as lauric acid which is indictive of being anti viral and anti bacterial.
    http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html
    http://www.nutrition.org/asn-blog/2009/07/coconut-oil/
    http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/latest-studies-on-coconut-oil

As an additional note regarding saturated fat, there is no research that indicted saturated fat alone in the absence of other additional factors poses any heath risk to us for heart disease. In fact, saturated fat can improve our HDL cholesterol levels and brain health. Human breat milk is another food that is high in saturated fat! There is also no know connection between dietarysaturated fat/ cholesterol and serum cholesterol in the absence of toerh factors, these being high triglycerides for too many simple carbs and existing obsesity.

I kow we've all had the saturated fat boogie man pumped into us since the 60's so I totally get why some would be concerned by this. Howeve, most recent research indicates that saturated fat is not the boogie man it was once thought to be and some saturated fats, like coconut oil, have health benefits in an otherwise reasonable heathy lifestyle.