feeling weak (question for runners)

Options
Hi MFPals,

I've been eating 1400-1800 calories each day, and am currently training for a half marathon. On days I do a long run, I eat 1800 or 1900 calories. All this week, my muscles have been feeling really weak and fatigued. I haven't been able to work out like I normally do, and I've had a hard time motivating myself to do normal stuff around the house. I just feel tired and lazy! What gives? Do I need to eat more calories? I realized that I haven't been eating as much fruit as I usually do. Maybe I just need to really pay attention to the foods I'm choosing. Any advice you could give me would be great!

Replies

• SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've been feeling weak and tired too, since I started working out.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Restricting your calories so much while training for a distance event is probably why you feel so weak and fatigued. When I am at the 2-3 week peak of HM training I eat around 1800 on non long-run days and around 2500 on long-run days. I burn about 1300 calories on a 10 miler, so I am still definitely in a deficit. Contrary to popular opinion, training for a HM or FM is not the best time to lose weight and significantly restrict calories.

Also, make sure you are recovering well. I always have a chocolate milk after a hard effort workout.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Have you checked you aren't low on iron? It does sound like you need to eat more though, Do you know how much you burn during a training session? Make sure you eat those back as well as your daily allowance.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Training for a marathon can be draining on your muscles, so it's important you're allowing them time to heal. If you're going on long runs more than 5 times a week you might want to consider adding in some less-intense workouts, like long walks or shorter strength-training routines.

Are you getting a good balance of protein and carbs? One mistake that runners can make is eating too little carbs when trying to lose weight.

Sleep can also have a big impact; I see you have a little one there so that might be hard! Listen to your body and give it the rest it's asking for - aim for 8 hours a night.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Restricting your calories so much while training for a distance event is probably why you feel so weak and fatigued. When I am at the 2-3 week peak of HM training I eat around 1800 on non long-run days and around 2500 on long-run days. I burn about 1300 calories on a 10 miler, so I am still definitely in a deficit. Contrary to popular opinion, training for a HM or FM is not the best time to lose weight and significantly restrict calories.

Also, make sure you are recovering well. I always have a chocolate milk after a hard effort workout.

Great advice. I was going to say about the same thing. You need to eat at least a little bit more - make sure you're getting enough protein - maybe add some whey protein to a smoothie if you're not already.
    Also, make sure you've got rest days built in to your training. A day off from running can really do your legs some good.
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough calories to make up for what you are burning during your runs. I too have been training for a HM and one thing that has helped me is making sure that I am getting all the protein I need. Really watch the protein and water intake, as protein is going to give you the energy you need to get you thru those long runs. Try not to eat anything heavy at least an hour before you run and eat within one hour after running. And make sure you are getting adequate sleep at night.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi MFPals,

I've been eating 1400-1800 calories each day, and am currently training for a half marathon. On days I do a long run, I eat 1800 or 1900 calories. All this week, my muscles have been feeling really weak and fatigued. I haven't been able to work out like I normally do, and I've had a hard time motivating myself to do normal stuff around the house. I just feel tired and lazy! What gives? Do I need to eat more calories? I realized that I haven't been eating as much fruit as I usually do. Maybe I just need to really pay attention to the foods I'm choosing. Any advice you could give me would be great!
    You might need to eat a little more on the long run days. You're burning a lot of calories on those days. Also, don't be afraid to eat some carbs. Your body will need them.
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    I agree. Recovery is important. Make sure you eat enough carbs before a long run to fuel your body and enough protein immediately afterwards to help your muscles recover. I find that I'm not always hungry enough on long run days to eat back all the calories I burned, but I make up for it in the following days when my appetite really kicks in. Try to listen to your body more than the numbers. Your body will tell you what you need. And of course, hydration is extremely important to keeping your muscles from feeling weak. I drink my 8 glasses and then some on the days leading up to a long run.

Just a thought, you said it has only been this week that you're feeling tired…any chance it's just TOM? I find my long runs are really sluggish around the TOM.

Good luck with your training!!
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am also having trouble finding the right balance.

I have a half marathon on Sunday so I've been resting up this week but I'm also eating alot more to get my energy up for Sunday, problem is I feel as though I'm putting weight on when I'm not burning the calories off I feel fat & I am also feeling really tired still :(

Its so hard to know what to do!
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Ladies need more Iron. When you run extended amount you will burn muscle, make sure you get enough iron with your protein to help repair

If you are doing a carb boost the evening before, try Ramen Noodles they have loads of iron.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I don't know how often you run or how long you run but I can tell you from my own experience that if I run long for two or three days in a row my legs get seriously fatigued. This year I mixing up my long runs with interval training and on those days when the weather is uncooperative, I'll be heading to the gym for some strength training. Good luck on your half-marathon
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Ladies need more Iron. When you run extended amount you will burn muscle, make sure you get enough iron with your protein to help repair

If you are doing a carb boost the evening before, try Ramen Noodles they have loads of iron.

Ramen Noodles have MSG in them and WAY too much sodium. They should not be eaten. Try a healthy alternative like dark green veggies and steak.
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, you guys! I think I will try to increase my healthy calories. Right now my running schedule looks like this:

Monday: 1 mile + weights
    Tuesday: 5 miles
    Wednesday: 3.5 miles
    Thursday: 1 mile + weights
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: rest or walk
    Sunday: 8 miles

Of course, this changes every week and the distances increase as the weeks go on. My run is June 2. I'll definitely be considering all of this helpful information.
  • jomm30
    jomm30 Posts: 11
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat well and eat food to fuel the muscles ... avoid heavy stuff like cheese or fatty products. I run practically everday (I'm not training for the marathon) and feel fabulouse energised, strong and healthy. Make sure you get enough potassium (lack of it makes us tired too!) as we do sweat out a lot of it. Banana, apples, oranges, kiwis, almonds, tomatos, lettuce are some of the basic fruits and veg which have lots of potassiu. All the best!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It could be that you are not eating enough. It could be that you are not eating enough carbs (you should be at about 5-6 g carbs for every kg of body weight if you are training like this).

It could also be residual fatigue from the increased training. If your race is June 2, it sounds like you have just started ramping up the volume.

One thing you might try: doing some different cardio on the days you lift, like a bike or a cross trainer.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Bump.... keeping for reference!
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A good whey protein shake after a long run does wonders for me.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, you guys! I think I will try to increase my healthy calories. Right now my running schedule looks like this:

Monday: 1 mile + weights
    Tuesday: 5 miles
    Wednesday: 3.5 miles
    Thursday: 1 mile + weights
    Friday: rest
    Of course, this changes every week and the distances increase as the weeks go on. My run is June 2. I'll definitely be considering all of this helpful information.
    For your consideration
    Monday: rest
    Tuesday: 1 mile + weights
    Wednesday: 5 miles
    Tuesday: 1 mile + weights
    Friday: rest or walk
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Could be a few things.

I know for me, when I add miles, I need to not only add some extra higher-quality calories (like whole grains and meats), but I also need more time to rest. I'll take days where I don't work out or run at all, especially before/after my long runs, and I'll actually eat more those days, because it helps my muscles re-fuel and build back up. It keeps the days when I do run more energetic, because my muscles really benefit from that rest and extra fuel.

It could also be an iron issue, because I know I feel very fatigued when I forget my iron pills, but I naturally have lower iron levels, so for me, it makes sense.

Try and experiment to see what might help. I take extra calcium, potassium, and iron when I'm doing longer run training, to keep my electrolyte levels up and help muscle function. I also do the extra calories, and make sure that I get enough rest. Rest is a huge factor that people often overlook, because more training is supposed to equal better results. So take a break now and then!

Good luck!