Exercising with a knee injury

Options
Just a quick question -- I got an IT-band injury in my knee, so I'm laid up until the damned thing heals. Are there any kinds of cardio exercises one can do that don't require the use of one's knees?

Replies

• strawberry25shortcake
    Options
    :grumble: Only thing I can think of is swimming...but that still uses your knees to a certain extent. I am about to have a ganglion cyst surgery in my knee and I have been putting it off for months...sucking up the pain because I get so crabby and depressed if I don't work out for more than 2 days. Sorry I am not being very helpful...:frown: but don't really know what to tell ya. Have you tried looking some things up online?
  • GetFitBy2010
    Options
    I did zumba with just one leg when my knee hurts me... I just do my right leg twice..
    . Rowing is good..just don't put your foot in pedal.
    In general.. cardio is not that important. You can just eat less. Sit up burns good calorie also. Pilates is good also. Sauna also does burn calorie.
    Just do miss your weight lifting routine.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you have the option of using a pool, you can still swim without using your knees - you just buy a "swimming buoy" - it's a figure-eight shaped foam cushion that you place between your thighs - it keeps your lower half floating while you work your arms.... and BOY do you work your arms! They're about $10 and most sports stores and even gyms carry them. How's your knee healing? It's been several weeks...
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Rest it out girl like I've been doing for my hip and shoulder. It sucks, but I need to be healthy long term.:drinker: