Who has cut out most fruit?

Options
aj_31
aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
Who of you have cut out most of your fruit intake because of the sugar? Have you noticed a difference? What did you eat in place of your fruit?

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I cut out fruit, but because the fruit market closed for winter. I substituted with puny Walmart oranges. I found I wasn't as satisfied.
  • aj_31
    Options
    Okay. Yeah i was wondering if anyone has done it for more of a diet reason. To cut sugar to lose more fat.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have not cut out fruit but then again I don't eat a huge amount of it at a time. I'll have a few strawberries, maybe an apple or some other fruit for a snack if I'm hungry but it's not something that I eat all the time so I don't really worry about the sugar content.

Fruit isn't bad for you and I wouldn't cut it out entirely, just maybe limit how much you have if you're that concerned about the sugar and weight gain from it.
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I try to get most of my fruit servings from berries (strawberries, blueberries, ect) as they are not as high in sugar. I will also still eat apples because i love them :) Besides that, I do avoid certain fruits that have higher sugar counts (e.g. bananas). In moderation, they're fine but I choose not to over indulge in those and eat sparingly.

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • aj_31
    Options
    Yeah I was told if you do eat fruit to try and eat it in the morning or before/after a workout so the sugar gets used right away and not stored. I don't eat that much of it either. I usually have 1-2 servings a day.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Okay. Yeah i was wondering if anyone has done it for more of a diet reason. To cut sugar to lose more fat.

Oh, I misunderstood. If you want to increase fat loss, I think the most practical way is by adding heavy weightlifting to your scheduling and don't get to drastic with your deficit. Be mindful of those macros too. Good luck!
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I actually increased my fruit when I changed the way I eat. I went from hardly eating any to eating an apple or orange or cantaloupe (now that it's in!) or strawberries every day. My blood sugar is naturally on the low side, and whether it's this or the rest of my diet changes, I find that I feel better when I include fruit in my diet. And it hasn't affected my weight loss at all. If anything, it's helped, because I'll eat fruit instead of diving into junk or packaged snacks.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I've cut cheese. Lots and lots of cheese.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I haven`t cut out fruit, but if I did, I think I would notice a definite difference.The difference I would notice is I would be terribly sad, because I love fruit. It contains lots of nutrients and is nature`s candy! NATURE`S CANDY!

Eat fruit.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I have not cut fruit out of my diet and eat a couple of servings everyday! Fruit sugars are not bad for you-I try to limit/avoid processed sugars as much as possible.

Fruit is healthy for you. One did not get overweight by eating fruit! I also eat fruit when I get a sweet craving-works everytime.
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    Yea, I get my fill of fruit early in the day b/cuz of the sugar. I don't want to cut it out completely, the nutritional value is great!
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Why would I want to cut out fruit? The benefits, such as fiber, vitamins, antioxidants, micronutrients, etc, far exceed the drawbacks (unless you are diabetic).
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I found an article on this exact topic, I have posted it onto my MFP blog. Here is a small section of it that talks specifically about sugar from fruit vs sugar in pop

"Although the small amount of fructose in an apple or mango is fine because fruit's fiber slows down fructose's absorption (so your blood sugar doesn't skyrocket), the large amounts in sodas, candy, desserts, and candy-topped yogurt aren't. Here's what they do to your heart, bloodstream, and belt size:

•Added sugars spell double trouble for your waistline. First, there are the extra calories. Second, a big hit of fructose in added sugar makes you overeat by revving up ghrelin, your body's "I'm hungry" hormone.
    •Added sugars invite diabetes. Why? Excess fructose drives up blood sugar levels by indirectly telling muscle cells to resist insulin's orders to absorb blood sugar.
    •Added sugars raise your blood pressure. Downing lots of added sugars doubles your risk for hypertension. The systolic (top) blood pressure numbers for people in one test who consumed the fructose in just 2½ sodas a day were as high as 160. You (and your heart) want that number to be 115!"
  • exlaxref
    exlaxref Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've cut cheese. Lots and lots of cheese.

Does this have anything to do with your screen name?
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have cut out almost all fruit because of the carbs. But I'm a not very controlled diabetic and I've also cut out bread, potatoes, pasta, and many other things with carbs that a healthy person can and should eat. I try to eat more veggies, protein and fat to replace other carb foods. I have my goals set for less than 1/2 a lb per week but have been losing roughly 1 lb. I think that's because I've been exercising a lot more.

If I were healthy, I would probably eat 2 or 3 servings per day along with lots of veggies, some whole grains with moderate fat and protein.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I hate fruit. I even hate fruit juice and fruity dessert toppings. Veggies are my thing. :smile:
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've cut out pretty much all fruit due to the sugar content. I see no reason to eat any at this time while still loosing weight, as any nutrients that you can get from fruits you can get from vegtables without the fructose. Once I am closer to where I want to be weight wise I'll add in lower glycemic fruits such as berries and melons, occasional peaches and plums and apples. For very rare occasions I may enjoy a bananna or watermelon, but really I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I go over in sugar almost everyday and I don't worry about it. All of my sugar comes from pure sources, fruit sugar or natural sugar. It is the processed sugars that you need to worry about.
  • Chrisgarcia1287
    Options
    I don't eat a whole lot of fruit. I've cut my fat down to maybe 6% body fat. I eat a lot of berries though. Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries.