upping my calories- HELP!

Options
When I first started mfp, they put me on 1200. I didn't eat my exercise cals, but I was constantly starving as well as trying to relearn how to eat on 1200 cals is kinda difficult. So I changed it and now I am on a 1200 calorie diet plus eating about 50-75% of my exercise calories back. But, I had been in a stall for about 3 weeks hovering between 181 and 179.8. My measurements didn't change either. So, I was truly frustrated...

I knew that i had a party coming up and while sure I could watch myself, the selection wasn't going to be great, and pretty much resigned myself to going over on my calories, and cause it was an all day party I really wasn't going to get a workout in. I think I did decently, my appetizers were confined to the veggie tray and a handful of chips and salsa, dinner was italian beef without the bread and a few bbq meatballs, and for dessert I was super proud cause I ate the fruit salad instead of the cake.

When I woke up the next morning, I saw an all time low of 179.2. I was surprised, but thought it was a fluke. Unfortunately, the entire weekend was the same way, I knew I was going over my 1200, but just in general trying to make good choices- ( i.e.-only 3 small squares of pizza not 10). When I weighed myself after the weekend, to my surprise i saw 177.8.. i was like WHaaaat???!!! How the heck did that happen??

SO, i was really excited and I got myself super motivated again and stupid me went right back into my 1200+ exercise calories...It has been slowly creeping back up on me again. This morning the scale went back up to 180.8... I am so confused. The more I think about it, the more I think the reason, I was losing is cause I didn't feel like I was starving.. So, I've made up my mind to up my calories, my only question is how much? I have no clue what I was eating those few days, I didn't log it cause I was a little ashamed of myself.

My stats are starting weight before mfp 202. Weight at start of mfp 193. current weight 180.8. height- 5'4. I'm a small to medium framed person with an "apple body shape"

I also want to state a few things, I know weight fluctuates greatly, but I weigh my self daily and I generally know how my body reacts to changes. So the few, who will say to stop weighing daily, sorry not going to happen. I only record on Fridays anyway, the rest of the times, the scale keeps me accountable for my actions. Other than that, i would appreciate all the help and tips you wonderful mfp people can give me!

I also want to say that it's because of mfp and the great people on this site that have allowed me to lose this much weight so far! I've always been a quitter, and would stop things after a week or two, but because of all the support on this site, I have been going since Mid January and have no desire to stop! So, Thanks!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Check out the link on my profile. It may help you understand how it works!
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Using the mfp calorie recommendations left me gaining as well. I visited fat2fitradio.com when I upped my calories. You can also type in "my gift to you" in the search box here in the forums. It will link you to a spreadsheet that helps you figure out your calorie intake. Both of these tools have helped me tremendously. Although I upped my calorie intake all at once, it's probably best to do it slowly. I will tell you I gained 5 pounds the first month, but I lost 7 this week (Week 5). I did, however, start losing inches right away. Since upping my calories, I no longer have weird cravings, I feel great, and my workouts have been amazing!
  • katkat1717
    katkat1717 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks for the advice guys. when i went to the website, it told me i should be eating 1850ish. That's kinda scary cause it's way over what i have been eating. Is there another website that you kow of that has a decently accurate bmr calculator so i can compare and contrast??
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared, 1200 is WAY too little for someone with your stats. Make it really simple, go with what MFP gives you to lose 1lb a week (bet it's a lot more than 1200!), and eat back 50% of your exercise calories to allow for errors in calculation.

Most other sites include your exercise calories in their recommendation. MFP doesn't as it bases what you eat on what you actually do, not what you plan to do.

Check out all the threads of women having success eating more. MFP gives me over 1500, and I eat all my exercise calories, sometimes up to 800 more on a long run day!

It's scary at first, but if you gradually up your intake every week to your new target, you'll feel better and less hungry, have more energy for your workouts, AND most importantly you'll start losing again as your metabolism will go through the roof!
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The fat2fit and the link from the message boards gave me almost the same goal. (I went with a sedentary activity rate because i was so nervous). I do, however, eat all of my exercise calories back.
  • katkat1717
    katkat1717 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies! :heart:

Bumping to try to get more feedback!
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been setting my calorie goal to match my BMR(calculated by MFP) and i almost always eat all of my exercise calories back - has been working so far for me, it's easy to follow and may work for you.

Good luck.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    If you are too worried to up your calories all in one move, try having 'peak' days. It's where you up your calorie intake one day a week (or however works for you) and then you go back down to your low calorie intake. This may give you the chance to compare and contrast on a daily, then weekly basis how you feel on the days you eat more calories, and have some feedback from the scale if your efforts are worth it. Just a suggestion from what I have seen/read on here and my own experience. Hope it helps.
  • Katetmay
    Katetmay Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have also just raised my calories from 1490 to 1700. It has only been a week but the same happened to me, I ate more and dropped! We will see if the momentum continues.

I am trying to eat at my BMR which hovers right around 1700. I will admit I do not eat my exercise calories back but the highest burn I have in a day is normally 300 so my net is still 1400 on those days.

It seems that if you don't feed your body enough it holds onto everything, by giving it what it needs it doesn't feel the need to store it and create a stall. The change in mood and not feeling hungry all the time is great as well!