Would like to know what kind of foods to stay away from.

Options
Well I have recently put on a few pounds due to reckless eating habits. I really would like to know what types of food to stay away from. I'm a pasta freak and a junk food addict. Any tips?

Replies

• dlestermfp
    dlestermfp Posts: 106
    Options
    Well I have recently put on a few pounds due to reckless eating habits. I really would like to know what types of food to stay away from. I'm a pasta freak and a junk food addict. Any tips?

Don't eat pasta or junk food ;)
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well the pasta and junk food is what you will have to stay away from most of the time. But don't deprive yourself. Have 1 serving of pasta. Before you eat it drink a whole glass of water. Make sure you eat other foods(vegitables) with it to fill you up. For the junk food just make sure you only eat it every once in awhile. I know it's hard but you can do it.

Good luck
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Check out http://www.zonediet.com... it's a lifestyle!

Also, stay away from anything with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Check out the youtube link in my signature. It's shocking!

All the best on your journey!

Susie :flowerforyou:
  • jigs
    jigs Posts: 70
    Options
    If you're logging your foods you're probably seeing that too much pasta and junk food means using up your numbers quick. Moderation. I have a weakness for Lays potato chips. So light and crunchy, salty, greasy, satisfying. I need a bag every work day. It's my 10 o'clock snack, but I buy the small vending size bag so I don't pig out on three of four 'servings'.

Good luck! And remember, moderation.
  • If you're logging your foods you're probably seeing that too much pasta and junk food means using up your numbers quick. Moderation. I have a weakness for Lays potato chips. So light and crunchy, salty, greasy, satisfying. I need a bag every work day. It's my 10 o'clock snack, but I buy the small vending size bag so I don't pig out on three of four 'servings'.

Good luck! And remember, moderation.

QFT.

And might I add, if you wanna go out to a fast food place like McDonald's or Burger King or something, just replace the fried greasy fries/onion rings with a salad or something and just eat half of a sandwich from there. You can replace the drinks with unsweetened ice tea or water, too. That way you can have your goodness and not pack on so many calories at the same time. It's what I plan on doing anyway. :)
  • chickalistic
    chickalistic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this, but I have found that what helps me the most is to "pretend" to log the food in as if I ate it. When I see how much my intake/available is, it helps me choose better. I then choose a different snack and delete the pretend log. I'd much rather have three or four small snacks than to eat one candy bar that takes up so many calories/carbs. It's a mind thing! You/we can do this. Good luck.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Cut out all sugared drinks including juice. Watch the video Susie recommended, and you will learn a LOT about high fructose corn syrup and sucrose and how they contribute to poor health and weight.
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    For the most part try to cut back on:
    -candy/chocolate/processed sugars like cake/pastries/cookies/etc...
    -cut back on high-fat dairy products like full fat milk/cheeses
    -ANY fried food. It is insane to me how many calories deep fried foods have. Small fry-400cal??!
    -mayo based spreads (mayo, miracle whip, caesar dressing is VERY fatty, ranch, sour cream) there are a lot of low-fat versions out there.
    -white/processed breads/pastas. Stick with WHOLE WHEAT.
    -White rice- stick with brown rice.
    -Juice drinks, any drink with calories really add up. Be sure to drink a ton of water and cut back on sugary drinks. AND ALCOHOL!!!
    -nuts are VERY good for you, but be sure to limit yourself (peanut butter too), because they do have a ton of calories. You need the healthy fats, but just be careful with serving sizes. 1 oz of nuts (approx.120ish cal) is VERY little to me, I can eat 1000 calories in nuts without even thinking twice.

The biggest thing would be moderation. If you can learn serving sizes (what 3oz of chicken looks like, 1 oz of nuts, 2 tbsp of peanut butter, 3oz of pasta, etc...) you will be able to moderate what goes into your body.

Also, try to stay away from fast food chains. I know that I can NOT get in line at McDonalds without getting french fries lol.
  • chelsea33024
    Options
    Is cereal ok?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,991 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I eat oatmeal (the kind you cook, not the sweetened packets) with unsweetened applesauce or Kashi cereals with soy milk, or almond milk, or non fat milk.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    It depends on the cereal. If you're gonna eat special k you might as well go for fruit loops. Try to choose a bran cereal and add your own fruit. I usually get raisin bran (they have added sugar). I am eating fiber one now. But just discovered it has aspertame:explode: among other things so be sure to read your label in the store. I usually just go for old fashioned oats add water and cook them in the microwave.

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/wwheat.html
    Is cereal ok?
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think this is kind of a broad question, because everyone on this site does things a little differently. There are some folks that would say stay away from carbs, or meat, or dairy, or fat...and then there are others that recommend eating lots of those things! It really depends on what works for you. I recommend reading about other people's success stories and researching different methods, and when you find a method that sounds realistic and attainable for you, then begin making changes in your lifestyle.

Example: My personal philosophy is that I prefer to not cut out any food groups from my diet... I just want to eat the healthiest options from each of the food groups. So when I eat starches or carbs, I stick wtih brown rice, whole grain bread, whole grain pasta, etc. and I am very careful to measure out a portion size rather than just pile these things on my plate. :smile:

I've also found that trying to work in as much produce into my diet as possible (with as much variety as possible) has helped. Many people on this site use a "whole foods" approach which I find very inspiring.

Lastly, when making a lifestyle change keep in mind that it is a work in progress. I know that I have had difficulty and felt overwhelmed when I tried to change EVERYTHING at one time, but I know that it means that my progress is very slow. For some folks, they achieved great results when they turned a corner and made a complete change. What ever changes you decide to make to your diet, good luck!:happy: