Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred

Options
I'm thinking about starting the 30 Day Shred. If you've done it can you give me any advice and the 411 on how it works? Any information is appreciated. I have two young kids and this looks like the route to go with working out in home.

Replies

• WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of going to get the DVD today. I watched some of Level 1 on YouTube....and honestly..I am scared to death. Looks pretty hard.
  • jessielynn25
    Options
    Im on level 1 day 8. For me it is really hard because im way out of shape but im getting to the point now where i can get through it with only stopping like once or twice to catch my breath. It gets easier as you go. Ive lost 4 pounds so far. I dont know about inches im not going to take my final measurments till im done with it. But it is a really good workout...i totally recommend it! :happy:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I love the workout! It's a rough workout, but at only 22 minutes, it goes by fairly quickly. All you need is a pair of weights and a mat (if you're working on a hard surface). I use 3lbs dumbbells. It works REALLY well even in just 22 minutes a day. You may be hating it on day 3, but beyond that it gets easier! I'm about to move on to level 2, as I've been doing level 1 off and on for quite a while, waiting for my wrist to heal so I can do more planks and pushups!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I just sent for it thru Amazon.com - I should have it by next week... I am looking forward to getting my a*s kicked...
  • jessielynn25
    Options
    Theres 3 levels to it and each level gets harder (ive heard that level 2 is the hardest) you stay on each level for 10 days then move on to the next. Jillian says to do it 2 days 30ds 1 day cardio 2 days 30ds 1 day cardio and rest day...but a lot of people just do it straight. I recommend stretching your legs out more then she does in the video my thighs are just now starting to not hurt. i couldnt sit for 2 days lol...i have a 9 month old and a 5 years old and this dvd is perfect for when they're taking there nap. sometimes i get a burst of energy and ill do it twice a day./..again after bedtime. If you buy this dvd 2-3 pound weights would be more then enough. i have 5 pound weights and it makes it really hard my arms burn so bad...but this is a really great workout!!

hope this helps..:smile:
  • charc16
    charc16 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I finished it a few months back. Maybe sure to take pictures/measurements before you start - you will see a big difference! I lost 8 lbs and a bunch of inches (I can't remember exactly). My advice would be to do it first thing in the morning. That way you get it out of the way. Also, after the first day or two on each level I would mute the DVD and play my own music. Jillian gets really annoying!

Good luck!
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I loved it. Got through level one and started level two and saw good results. Unfortunately I hurt my shoulder and can't do the plank poses on two so I had to go back to level 1 (minus the pushups) until my should gets better.
  • tamspat
    tamspat Posts: 23
    Options
    bump
  • scullyuk06
    Options
    I started it last week and love it! Its hard, but do-able and only 22mins. You do need a pair of weights and a matt.

(Copied below from another post!)

Jillian had a question in a podcast about how often to do it and her answer was...
    2 days of 30DS one day cardio 2 days of 30 DS and one cardio then a rest day. She said the name was more so what her marketing people came up with since each level is meant to be 10 days (just not 10 straight) thats marketing for you!
    Not saying not to do 30 days straight if you want but she was very adamant about how important it is to have a rest day. Just thought I'd let you all know :-)
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I finished it a few months back. Maybe sure to take pictures/measurements before you start - you will see a big difference! I lost 8 lbs and a bunch of inches (I can't remember exactly). My advice would be to do it first thing in the morning. That way you get it out of the way. Also, after the first day or two on each level I would mute the DVD and play my own music. Jillian gets really annoying!

Good luck!

Agreed! Once you get to the point that you can mute it....do it! The workouts seemed to start dragging on, and then I muted Jillian and started listening to my own music and the workout seems like it's done so fast again! I for sure recommend getting it. I got mine from Amazon for pretty cheap.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Go for it. It is an effective little workout. It is only 20 minutes long ... not counting the warm-up and cool-down parts. There are two women and you can either do the advanced moves or the beginners. I lost 1" each from my chest, hips, waist, thighs, and arms. I am 61-years-old and I thought it was very easy to do. I did a double workout daily and did the advanced moves with Natalie. I am currently doing it for a second round, but only once daily as I do not want to lose more weight. Pay attention to form so that you do not injure yourself (twist a knee, ankle, etc.). I recommend it!

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I am really enjoying it. I'm about half way though. It is quick and doesn't take a lot of space. I make a couple of minor adjustments here and there, but I think that's okay. I think as long as I don't eat a donut instead of doing plank jacks, my modifications are fine!

Level 2 is kicking my butt a little. I haven't weighed or measured since I started. I am going to do that on the last day...the day before I go to Hawaii!!!:drinker:
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I did it for 30 days straight. I lost 13 inches on total and 1.4lbs. Level one the first 3 days are hell, you're sore and tired and kind of feel like an idiot trying to figure out the moves. Day 3 was the worse!!! I actually yelled at the tv. By day 4 you start thinking hey I can do this! I moved up after 10days to level 2. Now level 2 is a whole new beast, it by far is the hardest level and if you have weak knees I would highly suggest to do the lower impact part of level 2. Now level 3...congrats!!! You made it through without giving up! Level 3 is easy as pie compaired to the other two levels. I also did extra cardio 2-3 times a week and followed a good diet. Make sure to take measurements!!!
  • Marie92281
    Marie92281 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I finished 30 day shred 2 weeks ago and am now doing ripped in 30! I have 3 kids and cant afford a gym membership and for 20 minutes it great so here is my low down of the dvd!

Level 1~I hurt allot in this level I was so out of shape on days 1, 2, 3, 4 I coulld barly walk let alone sit down but by the end of the 10 days I wasnt hurting as bad!

Level 2~this was the hardest level 2 me because the cardio is so intense!! In this level I dropped 4 lbs in 1 week!

Level 3~I cant remember this level to well to coment on it sorry... All I remember were the dreadful rockstar jumps and juumping lunges!!!

The way i did it was the first few days I did all modified then moved to advanced moves so that I could have proper form so i didnt injure myself. I did it all the way through with 2 rest days and had great results. I used 3lb dumbells through the whole workout... Good luck
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I did it in January (I started on December 27) and what everyone is saying is true. Day one you feel like you are going to die, day two you are sore from day 1 and Day three not so sore but still feeling you can't continue...but...by Day 4...you think that you just might be able to do this...and then you move up to the next level when you are ready (I moved up after 10 days) and you go through the same thing. I noticed I was stronger and my endurance was better. I've since been using it to cross train with my running to keep up my strength. I'm finding I'm getting a bit bored of it so will look for another short (20-30 minute) DVD so I can squash it in to my crazy busy schedule. I lost 3lbs but didn't change my eating habits and I didn't measure myself but I can tell I lost inches as my clothes fit better ;)

Good luck with it!
  • CMXL
    CMXL Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I completed L2D7 today. I did Level 1 without a break - didn't find it too hard. With L2, I have taken a day's break. I realized that combined with three days a week strength training, it might be a good idea to take a break to rest a bit. But after I have gotten to L2, I have done both L1 and L2 back to back twice and I quite like that. It is almost like L1 is a warmup to L2 for me. Now, my plan is to do 30DS four times a week (three days when I am already doing strength training and one day during the weekend). That way, I think I will be able to give my muscles a rest. I haven't weighed or measured but I have definitely seen my endurance go up.

I agree that it is best to stretch/warmup more than what she suggests. Otherwise, my knees and hamstrings don't like it.
  • TMusumeche
    TMusumeche Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Gosh... Thanks so much for the responses and advice! I'm in! I'm going to order mine today with some weights. :smile:

Can't wait to get started!:happy:

Hopefully I can make it threw... Wait let me rephrase that... I WILL MAKE IT THREW!

I'll try to take pictures and measurements too!
  • Natalie182
    Natalie182 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hii, i started this yesterday using Youtube! Only thing is i dont have any weights and used bottles of water, is this any good or do you think i should buy some weights??
  • TMusumeche
    TMusumeche Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hii, i started this yesterday using Youtube! Only thing is i dont have any weights and used bottles of water, is this any good or do you think i should buy some weights??

You might want to go for something a little heavier like weights. But it's still better than nothing! :smile: