Accepting my NSV

Options
So I have been on here since January and have lost about 16 pounds putting my self in onederland ahhh. Even though the scale has shown a difference, I didn't feel like I was seeing a change. Yes my clothing was fitting a little differently but I always just make the excuse oh it's because I wore it already or things like that. One friend commented that I lost a lot of weight and my response was no its just these pants and shirt they suck it in cause they are for the gym. I even went to Old Navy and bought a dress in a L but of course it is ON and they are very generous with there sizes. I always say shop there is you wanna feel skinny cause there pants run big so you can buy a smaller size. I know this all sounds bad and like I hate my body but really I am ok with my body but I don't like when others comment on it. I am terrible at taking a compliment and I always feel I need to look around to see who they are really talking about. But anyway I have been feeling fat and lazy lately. I had to have some surgery so I haven't been to the gym or work since the 3/16 and i can't go back to the gym for about a month. The scale is still showing a difference but I don't see it. So here is the NSV part. Today I was in my sisters room getting something I borrowed when I saw a new dress she bought and decided to try it on. It fit which I was surprised because its a L but hey its a dress there is wiggle room. So then i tried on a shirt too it also fit another L hmm. Now I though hmm let me try a pair of pants on. So i try on her jeggings and they fit but hey they are stretch so they might fit. So i decided what the heck ill try on her work pants and regular jeans and holy moly they fit. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED. My sister and I are 18 months apart but have always been worlds apart when it came to clothing sizes and we also have completely different body types. I can't believe that we could legit share pants , of course that will never happen , cause she won't share but I am still in disbelief. If I can fit into her clothing that means I can shop at regular stores. This means I can shop at the store I work in.

Replies

• sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great job on this!! I too have been on here since January and as you can see have lost 14 lbs and go through many of the same issues and struggles you describe. I never, ever thought that one of the challenges of loosing weight would be actually believing it when it happened! But good for you for seeing the change, and for writing about it. I think that getting your thoughts out on "paper" can also help you really realize the change.

WTG!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! Enjoy your victory! Wonderful
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm very much looking forward to buying clothes from a non-plus sized store or rack.

I also had a hard time accepting compliments. I started forcing myself to say "thank you" after compliments after someone said "just accept the compliment and say thank you even if you don't mean it in your head". I started doing that, even stopping myself mid excuse. It takes a while, but eventually you will say thank you and mean it.

It really is ok to like yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    Great victory! All the best to you!!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55lbs and I still act like that. If someone says wow you've lost weight I quickly reply back 'oh still a long way to go yet' and there is, but I should accept the compliment. Its hard! X
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    :D Congratulations!!!

I think the same way you do - or at least I try to! Back in school I would take a test, and after I finished I would think to myself that I probably got an 85, but then I tell myself I probably got a 65, so that later when I got an 80 I'm like "PHEW That's way over 65!!" lol

Now with weight I try to do the same thing, but I have to apply it to a much longer period of time, which is hard. I focus as much as I can on the little steps, the little victories, the little ways I know I'm doing the right thing, like I worked out really good, I ate the right things, I recorded everything, I wrote a blog post. All that stuff. That way... eventually... once I start to see changes, it will be unexpected and catch me by surprise. Part of me is sooooo excited for when that finally happens, but part of me is going "Nonono Mary chill out it's gonna take time, gotta be patient!" lol

So basically I'm happy you were able to master the patience mindset! I wouldn't consider it a bad thing, but an achievement in patience. :)

Again, congratulations and thanks for sharing!!!

<3 - Mary
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Own it!!! You're doing it. Congrats!
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    Great story. We see ourselves so differently than others do. I hope your mind catches up with your body and you can thoroughly enjoy a healthier, happier lifestyle! It's a daily struggle, I know.......
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Hips don't lie...isn't that what the song says? And your hips are saying "good job, you're making me look good and keep at it!!"

Quick question, I keep seeing NSV, but haven't figured out yet what it means...Can someone please enlighten me?
  • Muir78
    Muir78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @DAM5412: NSV = Non-scale victory

Also to the OP - I totally understand where you're coming from. I have a hard time seeing what I've accomplished and rather concentrate on what I have left to do. But hang in there, it sounds like you're on the right track.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!