Eggplant Recipe, Please ..

Options
mfdez
mfdez Posts: 7
I'm looking for a low cal eggplant recipe. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Replies

• dtpss188
    dtpss188 Posts: 85
    Options
    Google Ratatoulle. Very good recipe. Easy to make. There are lots of versions. I have added ground meat to it as well. Good luck.
  • ainzerillo
    ainzerillo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    Grilled with a little salt and olive oil then use it in a wrap with greens or in chop up into angel hair and marinara. So good.
  • doug4851
    doug4851 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try this:

1 med eggplant peeled and sliced 1/2" rounds
    cooking spray
    1/2 cup sliced green onion
    8 oz sliced crimini mushrooms
    3/4 cup marsala wine
    1 teaspoon thyme

Salt the eggplant slices and set for 30 min, then rinse off all salt
    Spray a non stick skillet and brown the eggplant slices over med heat, approx 5 min per side, remove and keep warm
    In same skillet brown mushrooms and onions until most liquid evaporates from the mushrooms
    Add marsala wine to skillet along with 1 teaspoon thyme, reduce wine by half
    Add eggplant back to skillet and reheat

I like to serve it with grilled asparagus
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I made a "baba ganoush" type dip.

Grill whole eggplant until skin blackened/charred and soft inside
    Let cool some and remove skin.

Process *lightly* with peeled whole lemon or juice of 1 lemon, 1-2TBS tahini, cilantro, garlic (I use roasted shallot instead) , black pepper and hot pepper if desired,

Can eat sooo much more of it than hummus I like it warm/just made.
  • Snufericious
    Options
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I posted my personal rattatouille recipe a few days ago on this message board.
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I saw this on food network the other day and it looked really good...the idea is to layer it, put it in a mason jar, and take it to go. you obviously can just eat at home: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/layered-picnic-in-a-jar-recipe/index.html
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I made a "baba ganoush" type dip.

Grill whole eggplant until skin blackened/charred and soft inside
    Let cool some and remove skin.

Process *lightly* with peeled whole lemon or juice of 1 lemon, 1-2TBS tahini, cilantro, garlic (I use roasted shallot instead) , black pepper and hot pepper if desired,

Can eat sooo much more of it than hummus I like it warm/just made.

LOVE LOVE LOVE baba ganoush..
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I make baked eggplant parm. It's really good and you can control the calories with the cheese.

This is on my food blog.

http://blog.borderlineperfect.com/baked-eggplant-parmigiana-recipe/
  • vivo
    vivo Posts: 80
    Options
    Eggplant with grilled mushrooms, brie cheese and pesto sauce on turkish toast. SO addictive for me!

Multigrain wrap with grilled eggplant, grilled mushroom, grilled capsicum, tomato, feta cheese, with pesto/hummus sauce
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Martha Rose-Shulman has a delicious recipe for a chickpea and eggplant casserole (I'm having it for lunch today, actually). According to my calculations it's 232 calories a serving.

Eggplant, Tomato and Chickpea Casserole
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/health/nutrition/05recipehealth.html?_r=1

1 large eggplant or 2 medium (1 pound), peeled if desired, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced about 1/2 inch thick

Salt to taste

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 large onion, sliced thin across the grain

2 to 4 garlic cloves (to taste), minced

1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes

2 tablespoons tomato paste

Pinch of sugar

1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

1 sprig basil

1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained

3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and brush the foil with olive oil. Place the eggplant slices on the foil, sprinkle with salt and brush each slice lightly with oil. Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the heat, and carefully fold the foil in half over the eggplant. Crimp the edges together, so that the eggplant is sealed inside the foil and will continue to steam and soften. Leave for at least 15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until tender, about five minutes, and add the garlic and a generous pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, about a minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, cinnamon, basil and salt to taste. Bring to a simmer, and simmer uncovered, stirring often, for 20 to 25 minutes, until the sauce is thick and fragrant. Add freshly ground pepper, then taste and adjust salt. Remove the basil sprig, and stir in the drained chickpeas.

3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 2-quart baking dish or gratin. Cover the bottom with thin layer of tomato sauce, and make a layer of half the eggplant. Spoon half the remaining sauce over the eggplant, and repeat the layers.

4. Bake 30 minutes, until bubbling. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle on the parsley before serving.

Yield: Serves four to six.

Advance preparation: You can assemble this dish through step 3 up to two days ahead. Keep it in the refrigerator. Leftovers will be good for about three days.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Grilled Stuffed Eggplant by French's® French Fried Onions
    Serves: 4    Time: 0:45    238cals each (entered into MFP recipes)
    INGREDIENTS
    4 baby eggplant**
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 ounces small mushrooms, wiped clean and quartered
    1/2 cup finely chopped green and/or red bell pepper
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup chunky-style salsa
    1-1/3 cups FRENCH'S® Original or Cheddar French Fried Onions, divided
    2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
    1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
    * *You can substitute 2 medium eggplant (1-1/2 pounds) for the baby eggplant. Cut eggplant in half lengthwise; proceed as directed.
    PREPARATION
    1. Cut lengthwise slice 1/2 inch from top of each eggplant; discard. Using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out pulp leaving 1/4-inch shell. Set aside eggplant shells. Finely chop pulp.
    2. Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Add eggplant pulp and mushrooms; cook about 5 minutes or until liquid is evaporated, stirring often. Add pepper and garlic; cook and stir until pepper is tender. Stir in salsa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in 2/3 cup French Fried Onions. Spoon filling into shells, mounding slightly. Sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup onions and cheeses on top.
    3. Place eggplant on oiled grid. Grill over medium coals 15 minutes or until eggplant shells are tender. Serve warm.
    Tip Substitute 2 medium eggplant (1 1/2 pounds) for the baby eggplant. Cut eggplants in half lengthwise; proceed as
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I posted an eggplant chilli recipe on here somewhere, you may be able to do a Search of the topics to find it.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Not sure that its low cal but I slice it lengthwise in about 1/4 in or thinner slices and use it in place of noodles for lasagna.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    INGREDIENTS
    4 baby eggplant**
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup chunky-style salsa
    * *You can substitute 2 medium eggplant (1-1/2 pounds) for the baby eggplant. Cut eggplant in half lengthwise; proceed as directed.
    PREPARATION
    1. Cut lengthwise slice 1/2 inch from top of each eggplant; discard. Using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out pulp leaving 1/4-inch shell. Set aside eggplant shells. Finely chop pulp.
    2. Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Add eggplant pulp and mushrooms; cook about 5 minutes or until liquid is evaporated, stirring often. Add pepper and garlic; cook and stir until pepper is tender. Stir in salsa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in 2/3 cup French Fried Onions. Spoon filling into shells, mounding slightly. Sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup onions and cheeses on top.
    3. Place eggplant on oiled grid. Grill over medium coals 15 minutes or until eggplant shells are tender. Serve warm.
    Tip Substitute 2 medium eggplant (1 1/2 pounds) for the baby eggplant. Cut eggplants in half lengthwise; proceed as

Oh my, that sounds heavenly. I have such a weakness for those french fried onions! I'm having a hard time imagining the flavor, though. There's so much going on with the onions, the salsa, the vegetables, and the cheeses.
  • ainzerillo
    ainzerillo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    INGREDIENTS
    4 baby eggplant**
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup chunky-style salsa
    PREPARATION

Oh my, that sounds heavenly. I have such a weakness for those french fried onions! I'm having a hard time imagining the flavor, though. There's so much going on with the onions, the salsa, the vegetables, and the cheeses.

I made this over the weekend while out camping with the scouts. Used Hot Pace salsa. It rocked!! Was very easy to do outdoors, so I imagine it would be even easier in the kitchen.