Is honey any good?

Options
Abednos
Abednos Posts: 20 Member
And I mean real honey? I have some from my grandfather and I know that there is no added sugar or anything.

When I was little my grandfather used to tell me that honey is really good and healthy, but I am not sure anymore. I know it has lots of carbohydrates but was he right?
Take into an account that i want to lose weight. And I am not asking if it is good to eat in large quantities but 1 teaspoon when I really want something sweet?

What do you think?

Replies

• BLy82
    BLy82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Honey is basically just sugar. It is certainly sugar with a small amount of nutrients in it, which makes it definitely better than white sugar, but it's not as much better as people like to think.

On the other hand, one teaspoon is probably something like 20 calories. That's not exactly going to make or break you :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Honey is a natural sugar and IMO that makes it better than processed sugars like the standard white sugar crystals/cubes. Some natural sugars such as molasses have nutrients in them but honey doesn't have a lot.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am getting into honey, with greek yogurt and sometimes a banana!
  • Sharonab123
    Options
    I like to use it in my tea..
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I use honey on my Peanut butter sandwich instead of jelly. It's yummy!!
  • Abednos
    Abednos Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, as I was expecting :) Some people say its good, some people say its the same as eating sugar. :S

Razique, Thank you for the link. I found it quite useful.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Only if it's local honey. Most grocery store honey has had any health benefits processed out.
  • Brianne61292
    Brianne61292 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is broken down in your body almost identically to basic sugar. So for dietary purposes, treat it in the same way. As with sugar, it is fine in small amounts.