very, very discouraged

Options
First of all, I'm a 67 year old female. I have been dieting since Feb. 15, which is six weeks ago. I am using my fitness pal to track my calories. In the past I have found that I have to really cut my food intake in order to lose weight. I am keeping my calories to 900 a day AND using my elliptical almost daily for about 420 calories. I have lost only five pounds in all that time. I am getting very discouraged and wondering if this is due to my age or what the problem is. My diet consists of grapefruit, broiled fish, salads with very little dressing, 1 or 2 pieces of multigrain bread a day, 1 or 2 ounces of chicken, and one 6 oz. glass of white wine a day. My wight loss partner is losing four or five pounds a week - but seeing her fast progress and my slow progress is not helping. I want to lose 20-25 lbs and have 15-20 to go. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor or nutritional expert - but it sounds to me like you're not eating nearly enough. If you're eating under 1200 calories today, your body is going into starvation mode and you won't lose that weight. You need to eat more - up your calories to at least 1200-1400 per day and continue to exercise and then you might see some success.
  • TheLukePhone
    TheLukePhone Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to accept that eating more will mean you end up weighing less, but I agree that you sound like you are way under where you should be. :)
  • Lesley2800
    Options
    I'm no expert, but you are netting under 500 calories a day. A woman needs to net at least 1,200. You are starving your body. It needs fuel to fuction throughout the day and fuel to exercise. Try eating more -- netting at least 1,200 and see if that helps.
  • Pandoragirl
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I am exercising for more than an hour a day and burning 420-490 calories each day on the elliptical to prevent my metabolism from slowing down. If I ate 1200 calories a day, I would not lose, I would gain weight. In fact, about two weeks ago I did eat more calories for about three days in a row and gained 3.5 lbs, which came off as soon as I returned to the exercise and reduced calorie plan. But since then, I have not lost a single ounce.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,104 Member
    Options
    I agree with this advice. You need to try to eat at least 1200 calories a day. Since you have been eating less for a while, it may take a few days for your body to adjust and lose, so don't be discouraged if you increase your food intake and don't lose immediately...or even gain a pound or 2. It will come off. What is your weight loss partner eating?
  • Jessicajoyus
    Jessicajoyus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem a lot. Mine is trying to find the time to eat, but yes eating enough is really important. metabolism needs a good boost. Also, try some weight training. It keeps your calorie burn going all day.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the others. I know you said you gained 3.5 pounds eating slightly more for 3 days, but that could not have been fat. It was most likely water weight.

I started here last June on 1290 calories. As I lost some weight, my calorie allowance went down to 1250. I plateaued for months and months. About 3 weeks ago I increased my calories from 1250 to 1450 and I have lost about 5 pounds in those 3 weeks. I also eat any calories I burn with exercise. So if I burn 350 calories during a day, I add that to my 1450.

I would try to up your calories by about 400 calories a day and see what happens, and also eat back your exercise calories. It really works for a LOT of people on here.
    223730 Posts: 55
    Options
    It can be hard to accept that eating more will mean you end up weighing less, but I agree that you sound like you are way under where you should be. :)

^^^ this. Your body is not getting enough fuel to feel secure enough to 'let go' of what it IS getting. Eating that little, your body thinks it must save what it is getting in case it doesn't get more - this is "starvation mode". By increasing your calories, your body will recognize that it gets appropriate nurtirion and you will start to see the scale move in the right direction!
  • RachaelCorrigan
    Options
    Hi Robin! I am no fitness or nutrition expert, but I agree with everyone else that you are not eating enough.

I would also like to add that the weight you want to lose is going to come off slowly, but that is the way it should come off if you want it to stay off!! I'm guessing the reason why you gained 3.5 pounds when you started eating normally again is because you only lost that in the first place from practically starving yourself, so once you did eat, your body wanted to hold on to everything it could from that food. Also, you said you were comparing your progress to that of your weight loss friend, but is it possible that she or he maybe has more to lose than you do?

Whatever you do, starving yourself is not the way to long term weight loss, and it is not healthy. I hope you find the right balance for you :)
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    As stated above by others, I too am no expert

But if you are eating so few calories, will your body not hold onto whatever it is getting and store into fat?

The body needs certain levels of calories, fat , proteins etc in order to function

When you deprive it, then body goes into starvation mode and will grab anything it can get and start turning to fat

I mentioned this in another forum - there is technique called calorie shifting or the zigzag method...its basically where you eat varying levels of calories over the course of the week ..but you really should discuss with a doctor

Also see a doctor in case there is something else at play
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options
    You NEED to eat MORE! No joke! and lift weights just cardio is also a muscle reducer.
    Peace! :flowerforyou:
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I am exercising for more than an hour a day and burning 420-490 calories each day on the elliptical to prevent my metabolism from slowing down. If I ate 1200 calories a day, I would not lose, I would gain weight. In fact, about two weeks ago I did eat more calories for about three days in a row and gained 3.5 lbs, which came off as soon as I returned to the exercise and reduced calorie plan. But since then, I have not lost a single ounce.

Yes, you may gain weight when you up your calories -- at first. And I'm pretty sure your 3.5 lbs gain from your 3-day reduction was just water weight (impossible to gain that much fat in 3 days on 1200 calories). My advice would be to eat at maintenance calories for a month and see where your weight is at (I think you need to get your body back to equilibrium). Then, if you want to trim back calories, do a moderate decrease of calories for a couple of weeks and check your status.

Also, have you considered adding strength training to your routine? I've been reading that as you get older, it is more important to add muscle to keep your metabolism up. I've shifted my routine to be more strength training-focused and less cardio and it has made a big difference. Just a thought.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • soonernick
    soonernick Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    How many times in your life will you get to eat more and it helps! I learned the hard way but it is true. I was eating about 1500 cals a day and got better results when I went to 2000 cals a day. Of course I am 6'3 and 300+ Lbs. so those numbers maybe high for your needs. :smile:
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with all the other posters:

1. Eat more
    2. Add weight lifting along with cardio

Good luck!
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself with anyone else. Your friend might even be losing too fast, and that's not healthy. If you lose a pound or two a week, that's safe weight loss.

Additionally, your diet is sparse not just in calories, but also in nutrition. Looks like you aren't eating from all the basic food groups. For example, I don't see dairy. Each food group contains nutrients your body needs. If you don't have the right nutrition, your body can't burn the fat properly. And you could develop diseases associated with nutritional deficiencies. For example, osteoporosis from a deficiency in calcium and vitamin D (found in dairy).
  • apriljmcmillan
    apriljmcmillan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have to reply and echo what several others have said---you are putting your body into starvation/survival mode, so your systems are naturally going to hold onto everything to survive. You do need to eat more--but what you eat more OF and what you eat less of makes a HUGE difference.

I would advise you to try avoiding and cutting out, as much as you can, any sugars that are not coming directly from fruits and veggies. Also, maybe tone down the exercise JUST a tiny bit. Again, you don't want to discourage your body from burning fuel by throwing it into a panic.

I am not personally in your same place in life, BUT, for what it's worth, my mom is in her mid 50's, and she has been eating mostly simple and healthy for years, but just recently she was able to add daily walking to her life again, and she has starting losing weight that she wanted to drop for a while. So exercise is definitely needed, but overdoing it can have the reverse effect so don't go extreme. Take it up gradually.

I'm sorry it's been so discouraging for you, but don't give up! You can get healthy and strong and find your ideal state of fitness. You CAN! Just be patient with your body; it has many adjustments to make and this is going to take time. Try to focus on goals of consistently avoiding a foods that give the wrong fuel, making time for rest, and select 1 day of the week on which to reward yourself (nothing too crazy, of course, but something you can enjoy as a treat).

I hope this helps!!
  • Pandoragirl
    Options
    Thank you to each of you..I really appreciate your input. To answer a few questions, my weight loss partner is on the Oz diet and wants to lose 60 pounds - she has lost 22 already in six weeks. Soon she will be lower than my starting weight.

I appreciate all the advice you have given me - I really do.

Thank you!
  • apriljmcmillan
    apriljmcmillan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh Yeah and PLEASE stop comparing yourself to your friend.

Being inspired by someone else's determination and discipline is one thing. Expecting your body to respond like theirs is quite another thing--and that's NO help at all.

You are beautiful and valuable already just as you are--- do what will be healthiest for you because of this, not to reach some standard and become OK. I'm sure you've heard all that, but I have observed that we all seem to need reminders of this no matter who or how old we are :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Yep. You need to eat more.

Yes. You will gain weight when you start to eat more, but it will quickly come off again once your body gets used to the added calories. It might take a couple of weeks (I suspect three or four days) for your metabolism to get to where it should be, but if your not losing anything now, what do you have to lose by following our advice for a couple of weeks.

Calculate your BMR here http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

I don't know your stats, but I did compare my current stats for a 67 year old and it was only a 100 calorie difference.

Multiply your BMR by 1.2. This is the number of calories that you should be able to eat to maintain your weight, before exercise.

Again I don't know your stats. But there's no reason why that number isn't in the range of 1500 or 1600 calories.

Knock 250 calories off of that maintenance number to safely lose weight. Add some exercise (and eat some of those calories back) and you'll be cruisin'

And please don't compare yourself to your friend.

Good luck.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    In fairness, any change at all needs time for your body to adjust to the change. Try a higher caloric intake for at least a month and see what happens. 3 days isn't long enough to truly judge. I plateaued for nearly a month, tried decreasing and I gained! Then I tried increased my calories a little above where I started, and I'm losing again. I don't think you are high enough on calories. And a PP mentioned dairy. At 67, your body will be screaming for calcium and vit D, so please add milk to your diet and consider vitamin/mineral supplements to help with the nutrition deficit that happens with age. :wink: