Can you "overdo" it at the gym

Options
this may seem a 'strange question.....
I do:
1 hour x 5 per week of intensive cardio (Body Combat/Body Attack/Body pump)
45mins-1 hour x 2per week strength training (gym)
30 mins x 2 core workout (CX worx classes)
I have 1 or 2 rest days/wk

I have been working on this type of programme for about 8 months although I was unable to do it for 8 wks due to illness. I have been back doing this for 11 weeks and usually don't have any problems. Lots of energy and feel good. I eat a varied diet protein/fibre/carbs etc etc and I take multi vitamins
I am now down to 148lbs (67lb loss)

last night i just couldn't physically complete my first class, never mind start my 2nd. I have cancelled my classes tonight as I am physically drained!! I don't have muscle soreness, more of a 'physical fatigue'!!
anybody else experienced this?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Seems like it's a bit much.
    I don't think 1 hour of cardio 5x a week is needed.

At the most I'd do
    3-4 cardio sessions
    2-3 weight sessions
    core work how you need to
    at least one rest day

It seems like doing cardio on the days you don't weight train and vice versa might keep you from overdoing it.
    Ex
    M cardio
    Tweights
    Wcardio
    THcardio
    Fweights
    Scardio/off
    Sun off

something like that. you don't have to run yourself into the ground for results
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I would do a class and then at least an hour and a half in the gym doing cardio and more strength building. Based on some of the suggestions on here - I have cut out the extensive cardio. I do 1 - 1.25 hour long classes daily except for saturday... and if it is mostly strength building - I may try to run a <10 min mile just to get my heart pumping.

My lesson learned was that 2.5 hours was way to much! Also - i couldn't even start to eat back hardly enough calories.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    OP- I do a similar program.
    5 hours a week of cardio.
    2 x 45 min weight lifting
    2 of my cardio sessions are ab focused- like Bob Harper's totally ripped core DVD

I haven't gotten burned out from this regimen yet but that's because I do A LOT of variety. Sounds like maybe your body just needs a few rest days. And maybe you should take a little break and then mix things up. Also- in terms of general fitness you want to continue challenging your body so switching out some of your old workouts could benefit your fitness level any way. :flowerforyou:
  • Annmarie49
    Options
    thanks guys, will rest tonight and see how my body responds tomorrow.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Too much cardio if you're not training to be an endurance athlete.