Zumba = ?

Options
Hello everyone. :) I am new to myfitnesspal. I noticed that "Zumba" is not listed under the exercise options anywhere. What would you consider this equates to?

Thanks,
gummiwulf

Replies

• Pauline3290
    Options
    Hello everyone. :) I am new to myfitnesspal. I noticed that "Zumba" is not listed under the exercise options anywhere. What would you consider this equates to?

Thanks,
    gummiwulf

Try zumbacalories.com.

Hope this helps.
  • philschick
    Options
    My sister-in-law is on a different site. Zumba is there... so is sex!! LOL

P.S. There were three types of sex th choose from: aggresive, passive, and active!

I also enjoy zumba!!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm sure its different for everyone but I wear a heart rate monitor and for a 50-55 minute zumba class I can burn anywhere from 500-600 calories. My zumba class is extremly difficult though.
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I log it as high impact aerobics or dancing, depending on the level of effort i exerted (high impact for high, dancing for low)
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i dot 10 calories if really hard, 7 if into it, 5 just exercising. if you do zumba 2 on the wii, it tells the calories. thats what i usually do.
  • catinbetween
    catinbetween Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also login for high impact aerobics.
  • lexlowe
    lexlowe Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I add it as "Dancing, General."
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest a heart rate monitor! It's the only accurate way!
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I used this website to estimate my calories prior to buying a HRM and turned out that this website SEVERELY OVERESTIMATED my burns & I keep it high impact! I usually burn 500-600 as well.

Thanks,
    gummiwulf

Try zumbacalories.com.

Hope this helps.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    An HRM is your friend with Zumba.
  • jophine11
    Options
    I add it as aerobics high impact. You can search to zumba calorie counter on line and plug in your weight to get a decent reading of how many calories you really burn.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You can log it as dancing, or add Zumba in if you know your calories. For me, using my HRM, 1 hr of Zumba burns 550-700 calories depending on the teacher and how hard I work.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think in general 500 calories is good to enter. I know my class is pretty intense, and I have girls burning 800-1100 calories (they all have HRMs on) But, if I did not have an HRM, I would add 500.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    MFP and ZumbaCalories.com overestimate for me, like most have said. I typically average about 500-600 calories for an hour-long Zumba class.
  • whitneyas
    whitneyas Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I also used the Zumba Calories calculator website. I always log it as mid-intensity (we have about 5 minutes of warm up/cool down) then from there usually I am out of breath the entire time. The calculator said I burn between 750-850 for 55 minutes (but I also probably weigh a lot more than a lot of people on here.) I have heard some women who are a bit smaller than me in class say their HRM says 700 calories... we have an intense class and I love it!
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    In a 50 minute session, I usually burn 750 calories or more. I wear a heart rate monitor with a chest strap for accuracy. I've been told by many people that have been to other classes and attend our class as a visitor that it is more rigorous than most others, so I don't know if that has to do with it but the calculators available always understimate my calorie burn personally. That is why I use my heart rate monitor that is specifically set to my stats and fitness level. I would recommend purchasing one. It is a big help when using myfitnesspal!! :)

I added my own exercise called Zumba and use it to log.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I log it as aerobics - high impact
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TrinNZ
    TrinNZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I log it as what it is, Zumba! I have a HRM and I usually burn 700-900cals in a 1 hour class...but then again I bounce around like a nutcase, cuz i LOVE it! I also have the Exhilarate DVDs and i love them...the toning DVD in particular is excellent.....but you do need heavier weights than what they supply you.

How frequently do you guys do Zumba? I did it 6x last week...doing their 10day challenge. I'm shaking my way into shape :o)
  • LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    It really depends. The first time I did it I looked it up and figured around 300. Then I bought an HRM. Not a real expensive one, ($35 at Academy). I used it the next time and it said 740 and last night was 688 so that is what I go by, whatever the HRM says.