Cold weather running gear?

Options
I live in Wisconsin and am new to running. I just recently moved my runs off the treadmill and onto the road. We have had a lot of beautiful weather this year. Today it is in the 40's and I want to go for a run outside but I am not sure what to wear. I was comfortable running in a wicking tank top and yoga pants when it was around 55 degrees out last week. I think its to cold today for the tanktop. What do you wear when your runs are in the 30's and 40's? My runs are usually between 3-4 miles. Thanks!

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good pair of running tights, some mittens and a good windproof jacket.

I am in MN and I wear shorts 32F and up. :)
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i wear shorts if its in the 40s personally, tights if i can see my breath usually, then usually a lightwieght jacket over a t shirt . its all personal preference, i really dont like having that many layers when i run and also dont mind the cold, for me something to cut the wind is far more important than to keep warm since im already running i can do that just fine,

good luck!
  • jjjohnson31
    jjjohnson31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I live in Alaska and even in the summer it barely gets above 50-55 degrees F where I am. Once conditioned to running in colder temperatures, I find I prefer running with temps in the 30s and 40s (good shorts running temperatures).

For particularly cold days or when the wind is rough, running tights + wicking long sleeve undershirt as a base layer works well with either a windproof running jacket or a couple layers of long sleeve shirts/sweatshirts. A good warm hat that will protect your ears and light gloves makes for running even in the 20s bearable.

You will heat up, so I typically dress for how it will feel mid-run.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Thank you! I will definatly look for a long sleeve wicking shirt, and a windproof running jacket for windy days. I think today I will be fine midrun, I am just nervous about the first 5 mins..lol Like I said I am very new to all this. I dont really want to run with extra layers tied around my waist. I only run 2 miles away from home and then head back, so worse case scenario I will just turn around early and be uncomfortable for a couple minutes.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I stopped at Target and picked up a sweat wicking long sleeve shirt and light running jacket (both C9 brand). Came home and ran 4 miles. Temp was 42 degrees with 9mph winds. The gear was perfect. Only thing that got cold were my ears. I did have a baseball cap on though.