Hip Hurt from Running?

Options
So Tuesday evening I enjoyed a nice 5 mile run. Yesterday my left hip where I guess you call my ball joint is hurt when I walked. Today it doesn't. Never had this happened before. Could it been a step I took that was wrong?

Replies

• juliedieterle
    Options
    Always make sure to stretch really well afterwards. I have back problems and have started to run recently. I use a foam roller, like the ones you use at physical therapy?? It works wonders for all sore joints and muscles.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    might be tightness in one of your tendons.

IT band or piriformis probably.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Always make sure to stretch really well afterwards. I have back problems and have started to run recently. I use a foam roller, like the ones you use at physical therapy?? It works wonders for all sore joints and muscles.
    I never stretch after. I always stretch before.. And that's anything. Lifting.. Running.. I have seen many people, even Martin Rooney suggest stretching after.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    dynamic stretching before with foam rolling.
    lifting/running.
    then static stretching

thats how I do my stuff every day.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Stretch after, not before. If you stretch when you're not warmed up you can hurt yourself and research shows it gives little benefit.

It could be a pinched sciatic nerve rather than joint or muscle pain, I sometimes get this when I'm tired during a long run and mis-step. It can click back into place, as it were, and feel better fairly soon afterwards.

Here, have some exercises:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--13410-0,00.html
  • gdunn55
    Options
    Stretch after, not before. If you stretch when you're not warmed up you can hurt yourself and research shows it gives little benefit.

It could be a pinched sciatic nerve rather than joint or muscle pain, I sometimes get this when I'm tired during a long run and mis-step. It can click back into place, as it were, and feel better fairly soon afterwards.

Here, have some exercises:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--13410-0,00.html
    I would think if it was a pinched nerve, I'd still have the issue today.

Maybe I'm a wuss, ha.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    could be ITB or bursistis
    either one, stretch and build of your muscle strength in your glutes and core.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Just out of curiosity, why are you going around to all the threads and posting related groups? Was there some sort of memo put out that people can't ask questions in the general forum?

As for the OP's question.

I'm glad your feeling better. Probably an IT band issue. Try some stretching after your runs.
  • fifteenorphans
    Options
    I used to frequently have this type of pain after running. After discovering the miracle that is foam rolling, I started working my IT band with it. After a few days of EXCRUTIATINGLY painful IT band foam rolling, it started getting easier to put more weight into it, and now after a couple months I find that I can run without the resulting hip joint pain. I really can't say enough good things about regular foam rolling. Make sure you get a nice hard foam roller though, or if you're particularly brave (or cheap) use some PVC pipe.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i had something very similar... when i would walk i could feel the bone move or slip out of place, but what was happening was the muscle or tendion that sits over your hip the IT Band (as someone already said) was sliding over the bone or something like that.. The stretch that worked for me, and i never never stretch.

Lay on your back take the leg that hurts and bring it straight up or as close as you can get to that and let it drop slowly to the other side of your body,keeping your back on the floor. does that make sense? this stretch was great for me, i never had a problem running again. You need to hold this for a good few minutes, each time i ran i would hold this longer and longer.
  • gdunn55
    Options

Just out of curiosity, why are you going around to all the threads and posting related groups? Was there some sort of memo put out that people can't ask questions in the general forum?

As for the OP's question.

I'm glad your feeling better. Probably an IT band issue. Try some stretching after your runs.
    Ah I'm sure someone done it to them and now they feel like it's something that should be done. It don't bother me.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

This was my thinking. Strengthening your hips, flexibility in your hip flexors, and stretch more. How old are your shoes?
  • gdunn55
    Options

This was my thinking. Strengthening your hips, flexibility in your hip flexors, and stretch more. How old are your shoes?
    I was running in my Vibram Five Fingers and they are about 2 years old.
  • gdunn55
    Options
    Welp looks like I'm investing in a foam roller. I ran in my other running shoes yesterday and I even did some minor stretching and warm up before the run. After it was hurting. I did my usual stretching. Got home iced it 15 on 15 off for a couple of hours. Felt fine. Got up this morning hurting. Stretched again, and it's still bothersome.

I'm hopefully going to see my cousin who's a Physical Therapist this weekend and ask some advice from him as well.