HELP!

Options
I'm in panic mode! I know this is stupid, but I'm going to the movies this weekend which usually consists of either an order of nachos drowned in cheese or a bag of popcorn that oozes that nasty pretend butter stuff that is full of deliciousness. I'm afraid my willpower won't stand up to the tempation.

What are your tricks for resisting the draw of the really really bad stuff?

Replies

• stephen_jones
    Options
    type it in as wat you have eaten today.........then look how bad it is and how it just dont fit into your diet anymore,then happily delete it knowing you havent give in
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I smuggle in my own healthier snacks. For The Hunger Games, I popped my own healthier popcorn and put it in a baggie in my purse (I love the Lime and Salt mini bags). I also brought Skinny Cow candy (or a granola bar?). I would definitely recommend you bringing something you really like but is healthier than the **** they sell at the concession counters. Good luck and don't sweat it!
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just starve myself all day and allow for it.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If I truly want something and don't let myself have it, I find I lose willpower later and do even worse. My advice is to find out the exact cost of the movie and a small popcorn and bring just a little more than you need with you- leave the rest at home or in your car. And, by a little more I mean not enough more to get a medium popcorn. If you don't have the money, you can't buy it. And, a small amount may satisfy your cravings without killing your calorie count for the day.

Remember, this is about becoming healthier with a lifestyle you can manage forever, not about punishment or total deprivation.
  • NanoPacket
    Options
    I understand the feeling. I have been spot on for the last two weeks, but today someone from work brought in some Gourmet Cupcakes. I decided to have one ( I do regret it now) . But the plan is to just add some exercise today , and still try to stay under the daily goal. Maybe you could do some exercise in the AM before the movie then it will be guilt free?
  • Juxtaposie
    Options
    That's a great idea Nano! I haven't incorporated much in the way of exercise into my regime yet because I've been sick the last two weeks! I'm finally feeling better, it might be time to start!

And I understand what you guys are saying about depriving myself...I certainly don't want to do that! The thing is, I just really don't want to eat that stuff anymore...but I'm not out of the "wanting it" phase! Actually, do we ever get out of the "wanting it" phase?

I just talked to the boyfriend, and since we're going out to eat as well, I told him that I wanted to go and eat right before we went to the movie, that way I can make a better choice and hopefully be full when we go! :D
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I sneak in microwave popcorn, (even the move theatre butter kind is better than the real deal.... and (!!!) at leats its portion control.... only have a mini bag and you;re not eating the whole bucket... and they now have coke zero most places as fountain drink alternative! Have a good time!
  • Juxtaposie
    Options
    Thanks guys! This is my second weekend into this and last weekend I 1) didn't go anywhere and 2) stuffed my kitchen full of all the right stuff on Friday evening so it wouldn't be so bad. This weekend we're out and about for most of it. It's gonna be a little bit tougher!
  • kao1114
    kao1114 Posts: 51
    Options
    I agree with the others - don't deprive yourself, that will drive you nuts! I consider MFP more about learning to make good changes that I can live with for the rest of my life as opposed to just dropping weight. As for the movies, I use the "big purse" and bring in my own snacks - saves on calories AND money! When we are out & about all weekend running errands, we plan ahead and bring along a few healthy snacks & bottles of water so we don't get tempted to grab fast food like we used to because we are starving. Best of luck to you!
  • sweetmelissa222
    sweetmelissa222 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm all about substitutions. Craving popcorn, grab some healthy popcorn, my favorite is the 365 organic popcorn from whole foods, even the low sodium one is surprisingly good. Craving something chewy, bring some individually wrapped twizzlers or gummies that way the temptation of a whole bag isn't there. Craving chocolate, try a skinny cow bar or dipps chocolate dipped granola bars. If I try not to eat at all while everyone around me is snacking, I tend to cave, so bringing something tasty that I can snack on really helps. I have a friend who does the bad treats, but she limits it to a small popcorn and counts it as a meal. I've no been as successful with that.
  • jkb1129
    jkb1129 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions here for smuggling in healthier snacks - I do this all the time! There are lots of healthier treats that can be easily stashed in your purse. I for one like Amy's organic cheddar bunnies, mini rice cakes, frozen grapes, or some dark chocolate and almonds if I'm craving something sweet.

And to answer your question about if you ever stop "wanting" the unhealthy food - I think the answer is yes! The healthier I eat and the more active I am, the more I'm finding myself repulsed (or at least not tempted) by very unhealthy foods. My mind goes right past that smell sensation to the thought of the calories, fat, sodium, long list of bad ingredients, and the way I'll feel afterwards. That usually does the trick for me. That's not to say I don't indulge every once in awhile - just that more and more I'm not tempted by the things that used to be my downfall! So, there's hope. :smile:
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I bring my own snacks to the movies, even before I started my Revolution...water, almonds, some M&M's...just because I can't justify the outrageous prices they charge for stuff there!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    You can take in something healthier.

or, you can order the small popcorn and share it with the other people who are with you. That way you get to taste that delicious, buttery goodness without any guilt. Just build it into your day--Eat a little less for breakfast if you have to, go to the movies at lunch time and use the popcorn as your lunch, work out longer, whatever you need to do.

And, remember, even if you go over your set calorie limit by a couple hundred calories, you are NOT going to ruin the progress you have made. A deficit is built in to the calories. If you plan correctly, the worst you will do is eat maintenance calories for the day.
  • pink82
    pink82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    great idea! - stephen jones...i always feel bad after i have eaten the drenched popcorn, upon inputting the info into myfitpal. After the fact!!!
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I buy the extra large diet soda and pig out that way! Not the best for you, but no calories.......oh, and I steal one of my son's licorice sticks :ohwell:
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    First I make sure I'm not hungry when I go. Or I plan it after a meal, like lunch and a movie or something. If I go with a bunch of friends or with my boyfriend, they're in charge of the snacks and I tell them to keep it away from me if it looks like I'm getting carried away. -laughs-

If I do feel like I was out of control, I try to fit something active in to balance it out. Working out later or trekking through the mall or something for a couple of hours. Something that keeps me from sitting around AFTER I've already sat around possibly munching for 2+ hours. Then I don't feel so guilty. :)
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    This is what I do when I go to the movies. First look at the price they are asking for. They are way to expensive. Its like 3 dollars for a box of candy. It's a waste because its like the same candy box you can buy at a drug store for less. Anyway, if you have a big bag or purse bring it with you to the movies. Go to walmart or a drug store close by before the movie starts. Buy healthy snacks like any types of nuts, granola bar, 100 calorie keebler snacks. Anything like that. Buy your self a bottle water. I always carry a big purse or bag when I go to the movies and buy stuff before the movies. After buy movie tickets and snacks from there it comes out like 20 something dollars for two people. It makes me feel worse in the end because I wasted my money on junk food that is going to make me feel bad later on. I hope this helps. :)