Definition of "Moderate/Vigorous/etc." effort?

Options
On a lot of the cardio options, there are categories for "effort". As in "Moderate Effort", "Vigorous Effort", etc. What defines the amount of "effort"? Is it heart rate? Some other factor?

Replies

• tguarino1
    tguarino1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes Heart rate is key, however an easy way to tell is...

if you can talk but just a bit winded, then its light effort

If you can talk, but not prolonged, or slightly gasping that is moderate

if you cant really talk because you are breathing so hard, than that is vigorous :)

This is an easy way to tell, plus you get the added benefit of talking to yourself, which keeps others away while you work out :)
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    I did some research and go by heart rate. I can't remember the precentage amount but I know where mine starts.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I've seen "moderate" described as elevated heart rate, difficult to have a conversation without sounding strained, couldn't sing a song while doing that activity.

I've seen "vigorous" as no way in hell could you carry on a conversation while you're doing that activity.
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    I always gauge my intensity by the following, much like 'tguarino1', but you have to be honest with yourself about your workout.

1 - After a workout, if you were able to talk the entire time and worked up a mild sweat, and feel like you could've pushed yourself way more and burned way more calroies in that time you used - light intensity.

2 - Afterwards, there were a couple times when you felt out of breath, and you have a decent sweat, but you still feel like you didn't give it 110% for the entire time and you feel like you could've pushed yourself way more - moderate workout.

3 - Finally, if you're shirt has pretty much no dry spots from sweating the entire time, you felt like you could barely keeping your breathing up to suffice what you were doing, and you feel like if someone said 'you could've pushed more' would literally make you want to punch them in the face - vigorous intensity :smile:

I am a firm believer that not everyone is the same when it comes to heart rate. I'm at 266 lbs and I don't believe that my vigorous would be the same for 170 lbs fit person. But I've followed the above and I've been losing weight.
  • geluf2
    geluf2 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm 250 and I'm hitting about 180 BPM when I do my cardio (29 years old). I haven't attempted to talk, but I definitely wouldn't want to. It also makes me sweat a pretty good amount (i.e. the back of my shirt is drenched and a great deal of the front). If you had to ballpark it based on that info, what would you say I'm doing?
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    Based on what you said, I would say that it's a vigorous workout. Especially if your shirt is drenched and you really don't even want to attempt talking.
  • geluf2
    geluf2 Posts: 12
    Options
    I may try and see if I can actually talk next time.

I'm sure my fellow gym-goers won't think that's weird at all. :)
  • tguarino1
    tguarino1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt get too concerned about the actual numbers. The point is you are working out and doing the right things, eating healthy and surrounding yourself with good choices.

Whether you burn 220 cals or 190 doesnt really matter much in the grand scheme of things... Its not an exact science, its more of a mindset, and it sounds like you are in the right one !
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I think another point to make is that everyone should know their heart rate zones. Specifically when you reach VO2 MAX. There is no measurement for that on this site, but if you can reach that state for only a minute or two during a workout that is vigorous. Otherwise I just consider vigorous to be heart rate in the aerobic area, moderate in the fat burning range, and light as 100 up to the bottom or fat burning.