Moms of three (preschool age)...

Options
How do you get walks and such in? We live near a great 1.2 mile walking loop (but it's SO hilly) and where I live is also super hilly. I'd have to drive 30 minutes each way to find a flatter area. I have a five year old, a four year old, and a 6 month old. The two older ones can ride bikes with training wheels, but not on the size hills around us, without me pushing a little on their backs up the hills. I can't push both of them and push the jog stroller too. And if they walk they are too slow for me to get a workout in. I have a week of spring break and then the whole summer coming up (I teach) where I'd LOVE to get back to jogging (used to do 4 miles a day, pre-kids), but I don't see how I can with three little one.

I could get a double job stroller, but I don't think my oldest could do more than a mile or two, even with me helping some, on his bike. And I tried walking with the baby in the ergo but it still killed my back (I have back problems), so trying that while pushing 90 pounds of boy plus the stroller I think would be VERY painful.

Any other ideas I'm not thinking of?

Replies

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Are you a single mom? Is there any chance you could ask someone to watch them for a bit while you do your thing?
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Are you a single mom? Is there any chance you could ask someone to watch them for a bit while you do your thing?

Oh, DH would watch them in the evening, I'd just like to get it out of the way in the morning so we can have family time in the evening (especially since I'm slow and three miles is probably gonna take a while time-wise at the beginning).

I'm getting back to running - NO MATTER WHAT. I have to, and I'm not making excuses :)! I was just hoping to find an arrangement that would let me do it in the daytime with the age kids I have.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Are your older kids in school? Can you take the baby with you and walk/run while the kids are in school? I run two days a week early in the morning when my husband is home and try to go a third day when the kids are in school (4 year old and 3 year old) for three hours.
  • carolann_22
    Options
    Are your older kids in school? Can you take the baby with you and walk/run while the kids are in school? I run two days a week early in the morning when my husband is home and try to go a third day when the kids are in school (4 year old and 3 year old) for three hours.
    Unfortunately no one is in school, although next year the five year old will be going to K so it will be easier with a double jog stroller. I think early in the morning may before DH leaves may be what I have to do. I hate it, but I will appreciate getting it out of the way early.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

Oh, DH would watch them in the evening, I'd just like to get it out of the way in the morning so we can have family time in the evening (especially since I'm slow and three miles is probably gonna take a while time-wise at the beginning).

I'm getting back to running - NO MATTER WHAT. I have to, and I'm not making excuses :)! I was just hoping to find an arrangement that would let me do it in the daytime with the age kids I have.

Yeah, I only have one, but I've found the best times for me to get my runs or whatever in are either before my boyfriend leaves for work in the morning, or when he gets back so he can watch her. I HATE working out or running in the morning, but I really just don't have other options some days, so I just get up and do it. I can do some workouts while she's at home with me, but that's just because there's one of her, and she's about a year and a half now, so it's not too crazy, haha.

Good luck! I have no idea how you manage with three. One is enough for me!
  • awilde4
    awilde4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Any good parks nearby for the bigger ones to play? I used to do laps of the playground while my 2 played on the slide and swings.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    My kids are 2 and 4. My two year old goes in the stroller and my 4 year old walks with me. We walk a pretty good distance which is also very hilly. They do pretty well. My oldest started actually walking with me when he was about 3. I know that if I didn't use the stroller for my younger son, there's no way I'd be able to walk for longer than like, 5 minutes... lol
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've got 6--3 in school and 3 at home and I typically run on the treadmill while the baby is taking a morning nap and the 2 and 4 year olds watch a video. If it's nice out I strap the baby on me and push the other 2 in a double jogger for a power walk (we have some serious hills here too so it's quite the workout!)

In the summer the big three (6, 8, &10) ride their bikes with us. If I want to run outside I need to do it when my husband is home. That means waking up early before school/work or before dinner if he takes all 6 to the park for a bit.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    For me the best solution was to make the best of it until one or two of them were older. The best advice I can give would be to remember that none of these difficult, inconvenient stages last too long...it's not easy in the middle of it, but like you said, the problem will be partially solved by September when one goes to school. My older 2 are 7 and 5.5 now and so I only have to help with one bike any more. :) When they are small and close in age there will be more inconvenient details but overall the tradeoff is worth it. :) Just think, you and I will be parenting teenagers for about five years less than many parents. :D
  • carolann_22
    Options
    For me the best solution was to make the best of it until one or two of them were older. The best advice I can give would be to remember that none of these difficult, inconvenient stages last too long...it's not easy in the middle of it, but like you said, the problem will be partially solved by September when one goes to school. My older 2 are 7 and 5.5 now and so I only have to help with one bike any more. :) When they are small and close in age there will be more inconvenient details but overall the tradeoff is worth it. :) Just think, you and I will be parenting teenagers for about five years less than many parents. :D
    Awesome perspective :)
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    I've done a lot of "out of the box" things to get in a work out. I hate track running but in desperation, set the older two up with toys in the middle of the track and make sure you do your run during the baby's naptime.
    Also - the personal trainer in me says - since you may not have much time make the track work out an intense interval work out - fast - backwards - side shuffle - bounding - lunges - sprint - repeat. Throw in some running the stands and I'll be cooked in 30 min. right when the older 2 are sick of it all.